The 'How Did Your Airsoft Day Go? Thread

Skara

2 minutes ago, Skara said:

I'm buying another SHS high torque specifically for that gun. Maybe you should too

Ok 2 votes for SHS.thats good enough for me.thanks 

Regards 

47 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Ok 2 votes for SHS.thats good enough for me.thanks 

Regards 

If you're going to get the high torque it'd also be worth switching to lower ratio gears. 

Did my first night game yesterday and it was great. UK woodland gets SUPER DARK so we were wandering around without being able to see more than 5m in front of us. The only way we could really see anything was silhouettes. (NVGs weren't allowed because of the scenario requiring a well-equipped hunter force having a massive advantage over us)

Wore a ghillie suit, got tripped over, took out a whole squad of three people with a pistol.

Good day. Very good day.

6 minutes ago, PopRocket123 said:

If you're going to get the high torque it'd also be worth switching to lower ratio gears. 

Ok. That's thrown a curved ball into the equation. 

Why is that? 🤔

Regards 

24 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Ok. That's thrown a curved ball into the equation. 

Why is that? 🤔

Regards 

A high speed motor turns faster, a high torque motor turns slower but has more turning power so you need gears to match. The stock gears are either 18:1 or 16:1, which would be high speed or balanced gears. For a high torque motor you want to pair it with 13:1 gears for a snappy trigger response otherwise it'll feel laggy. 

6 minutes ago, PopRocket123 said:

A high speed motor turns faster, a high torque motor turns slower but has more turning power so you need gears to match. The stock gears are either 18:1 or 16:1, which would be high speed or balanced gears. For a high torque motor you want to pair it with 13:1 gears for a snappy trigger response otherwise it'll feel laggy. 

Ok. Thanks for that.but will I lose rps with a slower motor?

🤔

14 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Ok. Thanks for that.but will I lose rps with a slower motor?

🤔

Not if you use the higher ratio gears. A high torque motor and 13:1 gears running off a 7.4v lipo is good for around 25rps

Had a good day at Skirmish Wycombe with @Barny and @snuff.
fun games, all though it does feel like the teams were a bit uneven.

I definately still love my RIF, got quite a good amount of kills with it, even at longer distance.

There were some account of non-hit taking, but nothing I could get to bummed about.

During the last game a fight almost broke out between two players about taking, or not taking, hits. one guy dropped his RIF and started taking his vets off. Luckily I was standing closeby, shouted at them and got between them before they got any close and managed to make them act like adults (at least for as long as they're on the field, after that it's not my problem anymore)
I think some words were spoken between the two groups later (probably not very friendly ones) but both parties did eventually go home without anything serious happening.

I like Skirmish, good big site, and even tho every gameday has roughly the same games every time (the good part is that you get more and more experience on the field and will find out what good tactics are). The marshalls are good, altho today, with the rowdy players, it became clear that they're maybe all a bit too young still (I think they're late teens to early 20's) so when everyone behaves themselves not a problem, but when idiots want to start shit they don't have the experience to adequately handle the situation.

it didn't put a damper on my day tho. Most of the day was good, not gonna let 5 minutes destroy my mood.

also a plus(-ish), for lunch there was lasagne (with chips which I think is an odd combo, but hey) normally I'm not big into pasta but I was quite hungry so managed to eat something anyway. still a bit of an unexpected luxury. and Skirmish is now also offering breakfast in the mornings (before 10) haven't tried it but cool that they do it.

4 minutes ago, PopRocket123 said:

Not if you use the higher ratio gears. A high torque motor and 13:1 gears running off a 7.4v lipo is good for around 25rps

I'm running 11.1v.too much for it?

Just now, Shamal said:

I'm running 11.1v.too much for it?

Not if you short stroke.

Although I'd recommend to either check my "wat am bset gnu" thread or actually create a dedicated one, TL;DR 13:1, SHS HT and a 7.4 on my specna are giving me 27.5 RPS, on an Ares it takes a little more effort as there are magnets to glue onto gears lol :D

let's try to keep this one tidy-ish :)

1 minute ago, Skara said:

Not if you short stroke.

Although I'd recommend to either check my "wat am bset gnu" thread or actually create a dedicated one, TL;DR 13:1, SHS HT and a 7.4 on my specna are giving me 27.5 RPS, on an Ares it takes a little more effort as there are magnets to glue onto gears lol :D

let's try to keep this one tidy-ish :)

Haha ok thanks for info. 

👍

Regards 

18 minutes ago, Smiling-Dutchman said:

Stuff

Young (teens/early 20s) refs aren't a good idea.

I mean, as long as they deal with same age or younger players everything is fine, but once they have to deal with cocky older people it all goes to shit.

1 hour ago, Shamal said:

Haha ok thanks for info. 

👍

Regards 

Just went back and checked. On an 11.1vyou can use a 22tpa motor and 18:1 gears for a safe rof. He had to replace the gears for SHS 18:1s though as the stock gears were crap. 

How did my day go? Well I think I've come the closest ever at a skirmish to hitting someone. 3 guys in a tower, shot repeatedly at about 10-15 meters range on full auto, not acknowledging their hits.

Even arguing with the marshall when he was telling them he saw them get hit.

Finally they gave up (ran out of ammo I believe), after I'd guess 20 mins of just being shot at. Left the tower, and said to the 10+ guys who'd been shooting them "unlucky guys". How they didn't get chinned I've no idea. 

Ran into the same guys constantly throughout the day, who refused to take hits at various times. Saw lots of my team leave at lunch time due to the cheating, made the games after lunch even more difficult.  

On the plus side, I tried out a new leaf suit ghillie which worked really well, and when i wasn't encountering the pack of cheaters had a good time.

I always aim for the body with my 2.3J .48 slinging gas VSR.

But players like that... I'll give everyone a chance, but if they're consistently not calling (and then also being snarky about it all!) and you can see the BBs hitting them...

• Supporters
3 hours ago, MalcyFett said:

Even arguing with the marshall when he was telling them he saw them get hit.

Ran into the same guys constantly throughout the day, who refused to take hits at various times. Saw lots of my team leave at lunch time due to the cheating

Er, why weren't they hoofed off site for arguing the toss with a marshal?

And why leave the site rather than having a word with the Grand High Wizard about what was going on?

I don't get why people leave games early :D

Just use the fun switch and make 'em bleed :D

22 minutes ago, Skara said:

I don't get why people leave games early :D

Just use the fun switch and make 'em bleed :D

What if they're wearing thick layers, helmet/full face mask?

I can tell the habitual cheaters by their lack of defensive tactics. A certain team I know of are notorious for charging in to the village and clearing rooms quickly, simply because they don't call their hits. What would you do if you saw a couple of shots bounce off someone's helmet and then they're upon you with their drum magged ARP, questioning why you're not calling yours? 

I also watched my own team member stand out in the open (just past the tree line), firing at will, getting hit, walking back about three metres and then turning around and carrying on (when the rules were to go back to the respawn, some distance away).

• Mostly Retired Moderators
7 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

A certain team I know of are notorious for charging in to the village and clearing rooms quickly, simply because they don't call their hits.

We had someone like that at Z-Mart yesterday.

Me and another bloke could hear Green team just around the corner of a door that led to the bottom of the lit stairs and we waited for them to come into the room so we can pick them off like ducks.

Someone across the way from us was keeping them pinned down, but eventually one of them come running through, looking ahead and not seeing us to his immediate left.

We both tagged him and it was after he flinched and felt the shots that he then turned and shot at us - like, that's not how it works dude.

Luckily a marshal saw and pulled him up on it.

But that didn't stop him going back into the stairwell he came from and announcing "There's two guys right on the left as you go through the door"

...bellend. 

But what can you do. 

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

But what can you do. 

Ask a marshal to escalate it.

I know, nobody likes doing it. I don't, we're there to play, not tattle.  But more of us should.

OK, I hereby personally pledge that every time I catch myself thinking "I wish someone would do something about that bellend" that I'll be the someone.  Snitches get moral riches.

8 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

What if they're wearing thick layers, helmet/full face mask?

What would you do if you saw a couple of shots bounce off someone's helmet and then they're upon you with their drum magged ARP, questioning why you're not calling yours? 

Thanks for calling me a cheater btw, tonight I'll curl up in a corner holding my drum magged arp9 crying all night :(

as I said, I just keep the trigger pulled until he/she either raises a hand or starts moaning about the pain.

Yes it's a bad thing to do, but it's effective, after all this time I've come to the conclusion that

a) it's not worth ruining your day (getting mad at someone)

b) some people learn only when they get hurt (physically-pain- or economically-shit broken by endless streams of bbs-)

It's a very Mustang-esque line of thought, now that I think about it lol.

5 hours ago, MalcyFett said:

On the plus side, I tried out a new leaf suit ghillie which worked really well, and when i wasn't encountering the pack of cheaters had a good time.

Where did you play?

Regards 

51 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

.  Snitches get moral riches

We are not members of a cartel or the mob (unless the game calls for it)' The game  we play is honour based, calling out cheaters dishiuner shouldn't come with the stigmer it seems to. Too often I also use fun switch first, then get a marshal have a word with me for mag dumping!....

If only there was a point in time players were told how it all works.....

42 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Where did you play?

Regards 

Don’t wanna name, but it’s in the SW.

I’ve since been told by other folks that these few players have put others off going back in the past.

In fairness to the site I’ve been there a few times and every other time I’ve been there the marshalling and players were excellent.

I’ll chalk it down to an off day for now.