Need Advice Choosing a GBBR

XukeLho

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, I've been rocking an AEG for the last year and I feel now is the time to 'upgrade' to a more realistic form factor. I've done my research on how they work, worth upgrades and so on, but what I'm missing is the gun itself.

I'd like a recomendation from you guys for an entry level GBBR and a mid tier GBBR as well please.

Recomandations so far:

High Tier:

TM MWS

MK18 MWS

Mid Tier:

TM MP7,

WE Apache mp5

ghk g5

Entry Tier:

KWA MP9

WE G36

KJW KC-02 (Won't buy this one. Coolness factor too low)

I have to agree with @rocketdogbert for a first gbbr to skirmish the MWS is a no brainier. Yes it is expensive, but out of the box it is the most skirmishable and reliable GBBR you can buy. GHK come in second with everyone else trailing a way behind

It is entirely possible to skirmish with other GBBRs than the MWS, but with these you will also need to factor in that you will need to be comfortable repairing and tinkering with them to get them/keep them running properly.

21 minutes ago, XukeLho said:

Tokyo Marui M4A1 MWS is a bit on the expensive side indeed. Is this considered mid or high tier? I was aiming for something more on the range of the 300-450€

the TM is definitely one of the best GBBRs out there and is very well built and if you can pay a bit more and get one you won't regret it as it really is so easy to maintain and performs very well.

for the 300-450 price bracket your probably looking at SMGs like the TM MP7, WE Apache mp5 range or as rocketdogbert said the Kwa mp9 although I don't own the mp9 or mp5. 

there are plenty of other gbbrs out there but you really need to read up on them on a case by case basis as with some you could potentially spend a similar amount fixing the thing as you did buying it in the first place. just read everything... watch a channel like badabingon youtube for solid reviews as he has a lot of experience but also has managed to keep his content pretty unbiased... and most of all buy something that you think looks cool because GBBRs are there to make you grin most of all...

4 minutes ago, Crazy_Crystal said:

the TM is definitely one of the best GBBRs out there and is very well built and if you can pay a bit more and get one you won't regret it as it really is so easy to maintain and performs very well.

for the 300-450 price bracket your probably looking at SMGs like the TM MP7, WE Apache mp5 range or as rocketdogbert said the Kwa mp9 although I don't own the mp9 or mp5. 

there are plenty of other gbbrs out there but you really need to read up on them on a case by case basis as with some you could potentially spend a similar amount fixing the thing as you did buying it in the first place. just read everything... watch a channel like badabingon youtube for solid reviews as he has a lot of experience but also has managed to keep his content pretty unbiased... and most of all buy something that you think looks cool because GBBRs are there to make you grin most of all...

What about used GBBRs? Are they worth it or more likely than not, I'll be buying trouble (because I'm unexperienced and don't know what to search for)?

Will I find a used MWS?

In that case I’d say go for a used and reasonably unmolested MWS.

The MWS is definitely at the higher end of the price spectrum for a GBBR. You can skirmish with a cheaper GBBR (such as a WE) but you will likely end up spending  money on repairs/upgrades that can rapidly close the price gap (MWS needs nothing done to it out of the box as long as you don’t plan to run heavier than 0.3g BBs).

Remember with a GBBR the rifle is only part of the cost. The magazines are expensive and you will need a decent number of them as they are only 30-40 round capacity. Once you factor this in, buying the wrong RIF (even if it’s a cheaper one) can be an expensive mistake.

1 minute ago, XukeLho said:

Will I find a used MWS?

Used MWS turn up in the classified section fairly regularly, but they do tend to hold their value quite well and usually sell fairly quickly. 

10 minutes ago, XukeLho said:

What about used GBBRs? Are they worth it or more likely than not, I'll be buying trouble (because I'm unexperienced and don't know what to search for)?

Will I find a used MWS?

for your price range i would say TM MP7 has the best performance and reliability, GHK G5 was well built but lacked range from my experience. MWS retain there value but can be found second hand but most of them will have been modded ( i personally avoid modified guns).

for a GBBR you have the gun which should be cleaned and lubed regular whether you use it or not. you will need at least 4 mags which are generally around 50 quid each. other than TM all GBBRs will require modification to make the FPS consistent and site legal. GBBRs are massive fun but you will be out gunned at all times even in CQB but an AEG has less of an advantage as you will be shooting significantly less. 

you could get yourself a WE G36 GBBR for under £200 and use it as a learning tool.

I'll throw the KJW KC-02 into the mix alongside the other recommendations, I've never owned/used one personally but I've known a fair few that have. Good aftermarket support, decent out of the box and not on the massively expensive side (you're looking at GBB though so magazines will almost always be mega $$$).

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Shaydee said:

I'll throw the KJW KC-02 into the mix alongside the other recommendations, I've never owned/used one personally but I've known a fair few that have. Good aftermarket support, decent out of the box and not on the massively expensive side (you're looking at GBB though so magazines will almost always be mega $$$).

I'm gonna +1 with the KC-02, admittedly it's more of a dmr platform, but definitely a well priced starter with a higher level of finish, & complete setups sometimes come up in the classifieds for the price of a fairly basic AEG .

7 minutes ago, Shaydee said:

Ah that is damn ugly XD

But thanks for the thought

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, XukeLho said:

Ah that is damn ugly XD

But thanks for the thought

You can dress it up like a little dolly 😜

There’s a MWS thread on here. Get on to it and start reading all those 100 odd pages. You will soon realise the in and outs of the product. Incidentally my next toy will be a GBBR too and  going straight to a MWS? Why coz it just works out of the box very well. Oh as people have already said the mags ain’t cheap no matter which brand you go for so factor that into your spend. Retail I believe the mags are like £50 a pop so yeah it’s pretty pricey. 

I'd say the GHK G5 is actually a damn good way to go without going too far up the food chain. The TM MP7 is also an awesome bit of kit. As others have said already the TM MWS (or MTR) is one of the best out of the box although one of the more expensive. You won't really need to do anything much to it unless you really feel like it so it is worth the extra pennies from the start in my opinion. I pretty much only run GBBR's and my MTR is the go to rifle most of the time.

10 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

If you wait till next year the MK18 MWS will be out. I’m drooling at the thought of that one....

There's that AK too.... 

Oh yeah that AK. I forgot about that. It does look pretty good and let’s face it, it’s not another AR platform. Although and MP5 would have been pucker. 

34 minutes ago, XukeLho said:

expected price range? And why wait for next year? Is it not out yet?

It was showcased this year by Marui. It’s probably available in the asian markets first and will filter into the U.K. supply chain I expect end of Q4 of this this maybe Q1 this year. The price will be the same as the MWS price so around the £500 mark. 

TM M4 GBBR, no substitutes. 
Although the WE G36..what an amazing system that is. It’s almost 10 years old and it continues to rock. It’s also super affordable and magazines (while chonky) are widely available...unlike the TM. 

5 hours ago, XukeLho said:

Hi guys, I've been rocking an AEG for the last year and I feel now is the time to 'upgrade' to a more realistic form factor. I've done my research on how they work, worth upgrades and so on, but what I'm missing is the gun itself.

I'd like a recomendation from you guys for an entry level GBBR and a mid tier GBBR as well please.

Recomandations so far:

High Tier:

TM MWS

Mid Tier:

TM MP7,

WE Apache mp5

Entry Tier:

KWA MP9

ghk g5

WE G36

KJW KC-02 (Won't buy this one. Coolness factor too low)

i would put GHK some where between high and mid tier they produce multiple different models which were top until the MW came out 

Mp9 rules. It's great fun indoor and out. Mine is efficient on gas and is easy to maintain. Can bikt for indoor and high power bolt for outdoor depending on your site.

Mws is king. Having owned most gas guns, including 5 ghk’s, nothing compares to the reliability and OOTB skirmishability of the mws. Like people have said though, by the time you’ve bought mags etc you’re £500 at least. 

Ghk are priced the same but mags are even more expensive. Also, despite what fanboys will tell you, their quality control of late has been nothing short of dreadful. Trigger feel is nicer than the mws though and co2 is a bonus. 

mp9 I owned and never got on with. It’s got a truly impressive ROF and it sounds great, but like every other KWA product I’ve owned it’s been crap. 

for sub £350 I’d recommend the WE g36c. Cheap to buy, gas efficient and great kick. All they really need is a barrel and bucking. Mags are on the cheaper end of the spectrum. Trigger boxes aren’t the best, but stock replacement parts are cheap and plentiful. As said above mags are a bit chunky so slick Kydex insert pouches are a no go. 

general rules for gbbr:

mws is king

ghk if you want an AK (for now)

don’t buy anything WE if it has an m4 mag

dont buy anything KWA in general. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.