Ak Pistol Grip Too Slim?

Asomodai

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey all. 

Quick question on pistol grips and motor height adjustment. 

Took off the AK pistol grip to adjust the motor slightly. I also noticed the grip screw wasn't really tight from the factory but the grip was solid against the reciever. Sounded good stock. Just wanted to see if I could improve it. 

Tightened the motor a bit. Sounded great! Put the grip back on and tightened it up to maximum, screechy as hell. Backed off the grip screw and sounded fine as it did when stock (remember it wasnt fully tight from factory)

I checked the grip screw as they can be a little too long and can force the motor height screw up, so installed the grip screw tight without the grip and the motor sounded fine. 

It only gets screechy with the grip installed and the grip screw fully tightened up.

I suspect that the slim grip is pushing the motor up when the grip screw is fully tightened, possibly by the spade connectors which are slightly wider then the motor. Anyone else have this problem before? Maybe I need to dremel the inside of the bottom of the pistol grip a bit where the motor would be? Maybe I should just leave the grip screw not tightened up all the way like I recieved from factory?

Please note, it is NOT the grip screw being too long, I have already ruled it out.  

• Supporters

it "sounds" like it "could" be the grip pulling the motor/box out of whack

bit like some M4 pistol grips being too large - works with box+grip testing

but when you fit them into receiver the larger grip hits the receiver 1mm or 2mm

so a gap appears between box & grip, when tightened it starts fighting/pulling it out of whack

sorta this crap...

https://youtu.be/WSV8vn9veXs

and seen Luke (I think) add shims between grip & box to take pad out the area so grip just mates with box

without hitting the receiver so hard that it pulls shit out of whack when tightened...

(not as proper fix I'll add but when he was getting screechy shit issues on say troublesome VFC's for example

and just trying to diagnose or try to diagnose where it all goes out of whack)

Now in your case the top of the AK grip(s) have lugs to locate into receiver

so filing stuff down would be a PITA working around those lugs etc...

and no real need to perhaps...

You could try to plop in say m4 washer - 4mm ID & say 6~8mm OD between grip & motor cage

to take up any potential slack, so grip isn't being forced into receiver so much it knocks out the alignment

This washer could be 1mm or 1.5mm thick of metal or maybe rubber

heck an old THIN cylinder head pad could be worth a try, might need trimming down at edges

probably 1mm thick should do it, pad out the space between inside of grip & bottom of motor cage

Tighten up and should/could do the trick - worth a go I reckon

Also check motor cage is not loose, sometimes they don't fit perfectly

and others there is a bit of potential play, even wobble when tightened

and despite the cage snug & angle correct, the wonky/gappy grip can try to pull the cage a bit out of sync

So a bit of a rubber washer might take up the slack between grip/cage so it can tighten without it going squiffy

Have had a similar problem with a wooden grip. AEG sounded great until the pistol grip went on. 

Ended up using a rough grit sand paper to take material off the sides of the inside of the grip. 

Another option might be a small O-ring between the screw and the pistol grip to replicate the way it came from the factory. 

Just to echo the above poster, shimming the motor cage might be a good idea. In the past have glued a pair of 1mm shims to the top of 

the motor cage  (either side of where the pinion came out).  Eliminated the slack completely. 

6 hours ago, DerDer said:

Have had a similar problem with a wooden grip. AEG sounded great until the pistol grip went on. 

Ended up using a rough grit sand paper to take material off the sides of the inside of the grip. 

Putting a shim or O-ring inbetween the screw and grip didnt do much. 

However I did sand the inside of the grip ever so slightly and I am pretty pleased with the results. Its less screechy. No worse then any other stock rifle. 

Will stick with it until I can get a tech to look at it.

Cheers!

• 2 years later...

Sorry for the mega necro, but I am in the same situation, whenever I tighten my grip the gun becomes whiny. I checked and there is slack between the grip and the motor, so I can't figure out how sanding the inside of the grip might help with this.

Did you ever manage to solve this @Asomodai?

For the record, tried with the OEM cyma grip, a Cyma US palm clone and an E&L grip.

1 hour ago, Skara said:

Sorry for the mega necro, but I am in the same situation, whenever I tighten my grip the gun becomes whiny. I checked and there is slack between the grip and the motor, so I can't figure out how sanding the inside of the grip might help with this.

Did you ever manage to solve this @Asomodai?

For the record, tried with the OEM cyma grip, a Cyma US palm clone and an E&L grip.

It helped when my tech put a large o ring over the end of the motorcage and then tighten the grip. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.