How to Tackle Sweat in Goggles

2RIR

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Good afternoon airsofters, I hope all is well, I was wondering if anyone uses any kind of sweat band when playing, with the excellent weather we have been having (for the most part) the oul foe of sweat into the Googles has been putting a downer in my sons game as well as my own. I don't really want to buy mesh goggles especially for my 12 year old but as an emergency back up can anyone recommend a set, or if you use a headband recommend that to all info is appreciated. 

With regards the mesh goggles would recommend heroshark goggles. Have a pair I use during chronoing, test firing and as an emergency back up.

Think he does most of his business on Facebook. 

With the sweat band I have just used an olive green bandanna in the past. I use an Czechoslovak surplus one.

You can get various stuff on eBay such as tan British army sweat scarves to do the trick. 

Bolle X800 have a hard rubber seal at the top that prevents forehead sweat entering the goggles and steaming up the lens, great solution and unlike mesh they protect ALL of your eyes from BB and pyro (not just a random half`)

Another old trick is put hand over eyes and spray forehead with anti perspirant

Me, after going Dye i4, went to Bolle X800 but now am a Warq convert, no steaming up and full protection

• Supporters

I just use a stretchy cotton towelling headband, 1980s style. Under £2 each on eBay, e.g. this listing.  Opinions vary, but I think it helps.  I'd suggest getting multiples, as they get moist fast.  Wear one while you air one.

[Goes to order more]

However, that's my last line of defence.  I also go dual pane, fan assisted, with Revision anti-fog wipes, or Cat-Crap (yes) brand magic gloop.

30 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I just use a stretchy cotton towelling headband, 1980s style. Under £2 each on eBay, e.g. this listing.  Opinions vary, but I think it helps.  I'd suggest getting multiples, as they get moist fast.  Wear one while you air one.

[Goes to order more]

However, that's my last line of defence.  I also go dual pane, fan assisted, with Revision anti-fog wipes, or Cat-Crap (yes) brand magic gloop.

Wow! I never realised you looked that good.

Pink does suit you though. You would deffo stand out at a skirmish. Mind you if I saw her,so would I 😉lol

Regards 

I switched from goggles to Airsoft glasses. They don’t sweat as much and to me they are more better when on the field with vision etc and feel way more comfortable :) 

I’m currently using: Pyramex I-Force Slim Sporty Dual... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PWVBS8A?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

• Supporters
38 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Wow! I never realised you looked that good.

And my mutant superpower is to change the colour of my vest and headband at will.

37 minutes ago, Leonine said:

I switched from goggles to Airsoft glasses. They don’t sweat as much and to me they are more better when on the field with vision etc and feel way more comfortable :) 

I’m currently using: Pyramex I-Force Slim Sporty Dual... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PWVBS8A?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Yup, the I-Force is a good shout, they nearly work for me without forced ventilation.  There's some concern about the durability of the inner lenses as several folk have reported them breaking up and developing crazing.  Mine haven't done that (yet) and they'd be easily enough replaced with a sheet of PETG plastic if it comes to that.

I recently took a recommendation for a set of Edge Tactical eyewear SSE611-TT. Comes with a bold statement of being completely anti-fog.

All I can say is so far as good with these, genuinely have lived up to the reputation & haven't fogged up. I sweat like a beast, up until now have only ever worn heroshark mesh as all other attempts to wear eyepro which isn't mesh has fallen flat

Not overly expensive either at £25, so worth a punt in my book

Hope this helps

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 15.24.05.png

Hi there.

What makes them special? As far as I can see they look just like any eyepro glasses. Obviously they are working for you. Just wondered if there is any explanation on packaging to say why they work.

I suffer like crazy with fogging so am always on look out for eyepro that doesn't fog up. 

Thanks 

Regards 

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Can you recommend a seller?  I can't see them for under £35 in the UK.

Here you go buddy

https://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/edge-eyewear-sharp-edge-protective-glasses-26867-p.asp?v=0&variantid=26871

1 hour ago, Shamal said:

Hi there.

What makes them special? As far as I can see they look just like any eyepro glasses. Obviously they are working for you. Just wondered if there is any explanation on packaging to say why they work.

I suffer like crazy with fogging so am always on look out for eyepro that doesn't fog up. 

Thanks 

Regards 

Hey buddy

As mentioned took a recommendation which was from Richie (Heresy Group)

Link to the post on Instagram here, worth a watch & hopefully gives you some more insight

That'll be four eyes then cause I'm interested.👀👀

Regards 

If by any chance anyone reading this wants to switch to glasses to combat the fogging from goggles but held back due to using prescription glasses under your goggles, I recently went for some glasses that came with an insert for prescription lens and was expecting to pay through the nose for the lens at vision express etc, but found a decent place online.

Here's the topic I posted about it.

On 28/08/2020 at 17:53, MikeMarden said:

Here you go buddy

https://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/edge-eyewear-sharp-edge-protective-glasses-26867-p.asp?v=0&variantid=26871

Hey buddy

As mentioned took a recommendation which was from Richie (Heresy Group)

Link to the post on Instagram here, worth a watch & hopefully gives you some more insight

FWIW I saw the same vid from Richie and bought a pair - sorry to say that for me at least, they fogged up last night at Southcoast CQB. Straight out of the box!

Situation:

Close to the coast, probably high-ish humidity

Wearing mesh lower mask

Wearing aforementioned glasses

Sweating a shitload

I wasn't expecting a wonder product - you can make lenses hydrophobic but you'll still get condensation if there isn't enough airflow... And I think this is what happened here. I think a big problem, for me at least is significant forehead sweat trickling down and through - game over.

I was toying around last night with maybe attacking some foam to the top of the frame, to act as a mini sweatband that catches the worst of it.

• Supporters

Sad to hear that.  I do get a bit twitchy when folk declare any eyepro to be fog-free.  It's always "challenge accepted" from me.

I really would recommend using an actual sweatband, I've just got my new ones delivered and look forward to getting them all salt encrusted at the earliest opportunity.

2 hours ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

FWIW I saw the same vid from Richie and bought a pair - sorry to say that for me at least, they fogged up last night at Southcoast CQB. Straight out of the box!

Situation:

Wearing mesh lower mask

Sweating a shitload

I wasn't expecting a wonder product - you can make lenses hydrophobic but you'll still get condensation if there isn't enough airflow... And I think this is what happened here. I think a big problem, for me at least is significant forehead sweat trickling down and through - game over.

I was toying around last night with maybe attacking some foam to the top of the frame, to act as a mini sweatband that catches the worst of it.

Damn, that's no good. Am at a Skirmish on Sunday so will do my best to go full pelt to see if that makes them buckle, so far on my quiet sniping events they've done ok for me.

I tried some fog resistant coating that is usually used on car windscreens (liquid form). It seems to work pretty well. I think it's best not to touch the applied surface even after it drys, in case the coating gets rubbed off. 

I purchased some Bolle X800s after reading this thread, and can confirm they do work really well. I had some condensation issues first off because I was wearing a coat and was dripping with sweat, but after a wipe, they remained completely mist free the whole day. 

On 04/09/2020 at 12:21, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Situation:

Wearing mesh lower mask

Sweating a shitload

So a further field test with these yesterday, hot day & was sweating like a...... Insert inappropriate commentary here!!, whilst they never fogged up once, the minute sweat got on the inside of the glasses it was game over & had to revert to good old tried & tested Heroshark mesh.

However, not going to leave it at this, buoyed by the fact they didn't steam or mist, will simply buy a couple of Daley Thompson (90's athlete for the youths!) head sweat bands to mitigate my leakage & see if that adds longevity!

3 hours ago, MikeMarden said:

So a further field test with these yesterday, hot day & was sweating like a...... Insert inappropriate commentary here!!, whilst they never fogged up once, the minute sweat got on the inside of the glasses it was game over & had to revert to good old tried & tested Heroshark mesh.

However, not going to leave it at this, buoyed by the fact they didn't steam or mist, will simply buy a couple of Daley Thompson (90's athlete for the youths!) head sweat bands to mitigate my leakage & see if that adds longevity!

Good to hear! It was definitely closer to steam instead of mist on my pair, but as I said there were a few contributing issues I reckon.

I'm going to go over mine with a microfibre cloth very carefully, to make sure there are no nucleation points etc. for moisture to grab onto.

If you're talking about stopping sweat dripping from your forehead to you goggles, i have this and it works really well and is easy to hide.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08D3NZDD7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jsNvFbNSCYY2Y

Now for fog ive tried all sorts as I fog up before I've left the safe zone. Best goggles I found were some surplus revision wolf spiders with the foam ripped out. 

Only thing thats actually stopped fogging for me though is the revisions paired with an exfog. Its a fan that sits on your goggles/helmets and pushes air into them. Its very expensive for what it is, but I personally think its worth every penny as I havent fogged since.

You could make something for a lot cheaper but I am useless at all that...

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Roba93 said:

exfog. Its a fan that sits on your goggles/helmets and pushes air into them. Its very expensive for what it is, but I personally think its worth every penny as I havent fogged since.

I agree, fan is the way to go.  If you can't stretch to an ExFog, FMA fan goggles are pretty affordable - I'd go for the central fan one that takes 2 batteries rather than the side fan model with one battery.

3 hours ago, Roba93 said:

You could make something for a lot cheaper but I am useless at all that...

They take a bit of bodging, but you can do a decent job with:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264017813661

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110896695213

Some hot-melt, sugru, tape or whatever you have handy to connect them

And a small 7.4v lipo if you have one spare

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.