Potential Warning

avenger63

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I got a message after buying one if my guns today, then later from same person about a pistol. Saying please request money and they would collect using a courier, then they asked more photos etc and then I get this

Hi Andy,
    Thank you for your Paypal invoice . I was about to make the payment into your Paypal account right now, but am having a little problem with the picking up of the capa. I am trying to secure a booking with my courier company now but they asked me to pay first before they can secure the booking for the goods, and they are only accepting bank transfers for payments because of the bad experience they had in the past with other forms of payments. So i tried to send the money to them online but it's not going through and i am on sea, there is no way i can get off the sea to find a Local bank to make the transfer to my courier company. So i would like to ask if it will be okay for me to include my courier company fees together with your payments through Paypal transfer,So you will help me transfer the pick up fee to them via any local bank around you immediately i pay you or transfer it on line if you have your on line banking set up. I don't mean to bother you I'm sure you understand ?  I just wanted to seek your consent before going ahead with the payments,I will be very happy if my offer is given a favorable consideration.

Regards”

This was from 
[email protected]    Hanna Fong 
anyone else had a similar email ???

Sounds similar to the ones I used to get through ebay about buying my >insert goods description< for their son who was on an oil rig or some nonsense....I mean the story was nonsense, I just want to make it clear that I believe oil rigs exist.

• Supporters

58 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

I just want to make it clear that I believe oil rigs exist.

Ah, the good old days, they're all oceanographers now.

54 minutes ago, Leonine said:

Is it just me that was confused several times reading that email 😂

It's barely lucid, but what I think we're seeing is:

* Scammer sends (e.g.) 100 dollah through PayPal using their Bank of Nigeria credit card

* Victim bank transfers (e.g.) 10 dollah to scammer to their "courier's" Bank of Nigeria account

* Scammer claims the payment that went to PayPal was fraudulent, not me, stolen number, great injustice, account hacked

* Bank of Nigeria reverses it, then PayPal reverses it too because like hell are they going to be out of pocket

* But bank transfers can't be reversed.  Scammer ends up with 10 dollah clear profit.

Seems like a lot of effort for not much payoff, but they're shotgunning these out all over the place and I'm sure it's well automated.  They're getting a little less robotic now, but they always use some distinctive stock phrases which will turn up previous iterations of this scam, like "there is no way i can get off the sea".

And that's the best case.  I wouldn't be surprised if you then got followups saying "Courier is not in receivement of monies, please provide your bank details for to them check" and so on down the phishing line.

Asking for more pictures is a nice touch.  It makes it appear that they care about $ITEM_FOR_SALE (they don't), and you invest some effort (in return for none of theirs) which makes you more inclined to try and recoup that effort by going along with their wheeze.  They're ruthless unethical worthless parasites who all need to hang, but whomever is writing the scripts isn't entirely stupid or unaware of human nature.

tl;dr version - 100% scam.

27 minutes ago, Cromulon1994 said:

Somewhere there's a lonely oil rig worker upset that he can never buy anything online.

Don't forget about all the royal Nigerian philanthropists! "Why does nobody want my money!?"

Me! Me! I'll do it. Just promise I can have a go on your rig.

Oh and I don't want to get married but perhaps we can be pen friends. I trust you because you have an honest face,well if I was to see it I'm sure I would think so!

NAF OFF!!!

UV OO😉

Regards 

You guys are all so fucking jaded!

10 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Ooooh! It's that guy.

Well, yes, sympathy somewhat tempered.

Ironic isn't it that one of his only meaningful posts on this board is one linked to his ads....

• Supporters

Lol, even without the moody "I'm on a rig" message, the fact that someone was so eager to buy his

14 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

Serves you right for spamming our boards with your ads.  Private seller my arse

overpriced "new without warranty😏" shit should have set alarm bells ringing 🔔

1 minute ago, Tackle said:

Lol, even without the moody "I'm on a rig" message, the fact that someone was so eager to buy his

overpriced "new without warranty😏" shit should have set alarm bells ringing 🔔

As mentioned every gun touched becomes new, it’s the magic touch. Magic doesn’t need warranty, it needs trust 😉😂

8 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I wonder if he restores virginity, and rekindles childhood wonder as a side-line?

Had to pay £20 for that service 😇

• Moderators

didn't this all start a few months back with 'Janice or Janet'...?!! :lol:

6 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I wonder if he restores virginity, and rekindles childhood wonder as a side-line?

Can you just restore virginity just by getting married? 😂

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.