Talk to Me About Mp7s Which One?

Maligator

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Who makes the best MP7 and why?

Most important part is realism, so I want all the levers and everything to operate the same as the real deal. For example the holding open catch, you push it up to lock the working parts to the rear and then push down to release the working parts. And on that point, id like to be able to lock the working parts to the rear without a mag attached. 

Needs the folding foregrip, i know theres some out there with a rail instead. 

And ofcourse GBB.

Abother benefit would be if you can get the shorter 20rnd magazines for it. 

Whats the most reliable, and also whats the upgradability like? I know you wont get precision accuracy firing a 6mm plastic ball but still im sure it can be improved on from standard. 

Will mostly be used on targets, running dry drills than it will doing actual skirmishes. 

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance/recommendations 

As far as I am aware the only GBB version of the MP7 that has a 20 round mag available is the KWA. The problem this one has is that it isn’t full size (it’s probably about 90%.).

Out of the box the Marui is the most skirmish ready and certainly the best shooting. Problem it has is again it’s the same size as the KWA, and it feels a bit toy like when you compare it to the full size versions.

The Umarex/VFC one is typical VFC - the externals are amazing (and it’s the right size) the internals are made of cheese.

I ended up with the WE one. It’s far from perfect but in my view was the best compromise.

The good points:

1) It’s the proper size, 2) it is pretty robust, 3) both OEM and upgrade parts availability is decent, it has the folding front grip, 4) with a bit of fettling it can be made to shoot quite well. 5) the recoil effect is the most solid/satisfying of the 4 choices.

The bad points;

1) 40 round mags only, 2) the selector/safety is pretty vague (I haven’t investigated this too much hoping I can fix it), 3) Needs a bit of fettling to shoot well (modifying either the hop arm or hop window (or a bit of both), 4) Needs about 1000 rounds through it to break it in, 5) you do pull the bolt release down to release it (some have it the wrong way round) but need an empty mag in it to lock it back. 6) no trademarks (although there is a kit to add them).

hope that helps.

The WE is also by far the cheapest of the four options available.

Really the only option is the TM - which is superb - if you don't want a GBBR that shits the bed.  I wouldn't touch the WE version, even though @Cyberlawyer seems to have had success with it.

The WE did have some fairly well documented issues. Most of these have been fixed in the latest version assuming you buy new. I have listed the ones I am aware of below.

1, The catch for the sliding stock was originally prone to breaking. WE fixed this by replacing the part with a steel one, initially this came as an extra  in the box, but is now Fitted from factory.

2. The semi-auto trigger response was very poor (trigger very hard without a crisp break). This was caused by poor application of the hard coating on the trigger seer meaning it built up on the corner of the seer. It could be fixed with some filing (which also removed the hard coating). Later versions have improved the quality of the coating so it’s less of an issue. The trigger still isn’t as sharp as a match grade pistol, but neither is the Marui. Steel trigger parts are available, but once you swap one bit to steel you need to change quite a lot as the steel parts wear down any non steel part they make contact with.

3. Out of the box the cycling isn’t super sharp, this is in part because from the factory the internals are coated in some of the thickest grease I have ever seen and partly because the metal to metal parts need to lap to each other. 1000 rounds and a couple of good cleans fix this and mine will easily dump a mag now. Out of the box it would struggle.

4. The safety is a bit vaigue. I haven’t investigated this much to see if there is an easy fix.

5. The biggest problem out of the box is the hop is rubbish. Basically the hop arm is a smidge to short so catches on the front of the hop window of the inner barrel so you can’t really hop anything. The fix is to remove the inner barrel and elongate the hop window by about half a mm. This is quite a lot of faf as you have to punch out all the pins holding the trigger in. While you are at it a 50 degree maple leaf hop is worth chucking in there as the WE one is a touch hard. I also used some liquid electrical tape as a non permanent easily removed way of ensuring a perfect seal between the hop rubber and inner barrel. This will also remove any possibility of the inner barrel rotating and causing inconsistencies when shooting.

I have to say despite The above this mine has been solid and totally skirmish worthy.

I do agree that out of the box the Marui is easily the best shooting (and probably the most reliable), but I couldn’t get over the fact it was too small so took a chance on the WE and have been pretty happy with it.

It’s also worth mentioning that the MP7 is the only airsoft weapon I am aware of where the WE version has better parts support and availability than its Marui counterpart, in every other example I can think of the Marui is usually better supported.

Thats not to say WE parts support is anything special, it’s about on par with the rest of their GBBRs, but the Marui seems unusually poorly supported for a gun from that company.

You could say thats a good thing as it may indicate that very little breaks on the TM version.

4 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

You could say thats a good thing as it may indicate that very little breaks on the TM version.

Sadly I can confirm this isn’t the case. I am aware of at least 3 Marui Mp7s that are relegated to wall hangers or have had to be repaired with epoxy due to a lack of parts support.

While the they are very well built and pretty durable, they are not magically better build than other Marui guns, and while when something breaks on your Hi Capa or AR based AEG or MWS you are spoilt for choice as to what you can buy to fix it, for the MP7 you are (with some exceptions) going to have to order the OEM part from a Japanese retailer, and their stock isn’t brilliant.

However parts support is still better than VFC......

1 hour ago, Cyberlawyer said:

Sadly I can confirm this isn’t the case. I am aware of at least 3 Marui Mp7s that are relegated to wall hangers or have had to be repaired with epoxy due to a lack of parts support.

While the they are very well built and pretty durable, they are not magically better build than other Marui guns, and while when something breaks on your Hi Capa or AR based AEG or MWS you are spoilt for choice as to what you can buy to fix it, for the MP7 you are (with some exceptions) going to have to order the OEM part from a Japanese retailer, and their stock isn’t brilliant.

However parts support is still better than VFC......

Blowing a BB out of a straw is better than a VFC.....that is until they sucker me into buying their forthcoming GBBR FN FAL.....

I’m not as down on VFC as most people. With the exception of the MP7 GBB (where the internals really are made of cheese). Most of the AR based GBBRs internally are about as good as their WE equivalents (with slight variations depending on model) and the externals are truly some of the best in the industry.

The problem is they cost 30% more than the WE equivalent, and just like the WE they need some fettling and maintenance if they are going to be skirmished regularly. This is hard to take when they cost as much or more than an MWS or GHK which will work brilliantly from the off. Further even if you do decide to skirmish one, as soon as something breaks (and lets be fair all guns will break if skirmished frequently enough for long enough) it’s really hard to get replacement parts.

17 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

Blowing a BB out of a straw is better than a VFC.....that is until they sucker me into buying their forthcoming GBBR FN FAL.....

Whatever happened to VFCs FAL? I thought they were gonna release it last year. All I've seen of it was a picture last year 

This is disappointing, the Umarex VFC one looks ideal and ive had a go with one, it was fun to shoot. 

Thing I dont like about TM is the size and it doesnt even have the sling mount. Will have to have a look at the WE and compare it with the VFC one. 

• 2 weeks later...

I use TMs version. Fantastic little gun, great for CQB out of the box the accuracy and range is great. I haven’t changed anything other than the furniture. Never had an issue with feeding or leakage from the mags, all in all a solid gun

5A04C2CF-EC2F-48F5-8FED-A5893D502748.jpeg

Cheers, looks great. I could probably get over the size difference but the TM doesnt operate the same as the RS, dont want to build the wrong muscle memory 

17 hours ago, Maligator said:

I use a real one, yes. 

I had a TM after checking other than size I couldn't see any difference in the actual controls. What's different? 

51 minutes ago, BigStew said:

I had a TM after checking other than size I couldn't see any difference in the actual controls. What's different? 

Not had my hands one, the only thing I know for definite is the bolt release, on the RS you push it up to lock the work parts to the rear and press down to release the working parts, the TM you push it up to release the working parts. Some may think this is minor but every second counts and if you've built into your head pushing it up to release the working parts when you've just done a mag change then you're going to lose valuable seconds. 

Cosmetic wise, would of been handy for them to put the sling loops on the butt. The slightly smaller size wouldnt be a problem at all. 

The Umarex VFC is the only one I know that functions the same as the RS. Would of liked it if they did the 20rnd mags too. I have had use of the VFC one, only downside was the working parts couldnt be locked to the rear without a mag fitted. 

2 hours ago, Maligator said:

Not had my hands one, the only thing I know for definite is the bolt release, on the RS you push it up to lock the work parts to the rear and press down to release the working parts, the TM you push it up to release the working parts. Some may think this is minor but every second counts and if you've built into your head pushing it up to release the working parts when you've just done a mag change then you're going to lose valuable seconds. 

Cosmetic wise, would of been handy for them to put the sling loops on the butt. The slightly smaller size wouldnt be a problem at all. 

The Umarex VFC is the only one I know that functions the same as the RS. Would of liked it if they did the 20rnd mags too. I have had use of the VFC one, only downside was the working parts couldnt be locked to the rear without a mag fitted. 

Yeah I could see that messing with muscle memory.

Tough call, then.  I definitely wouldn't want one that might mess up my muscle memory for use on the real one.  Does the KWA operate properly?  I know it is off scale, too, but most of what I've read about them has been positive and KWA is typically very good with parts support if anything breaks.

On 14/09/2020 at 11:16, Maligator said:

The Umarex VFC is the only one I know that functions the same as the RS.

The WE also functions this way. I.e. pull down to release the bolt like the RS version, but unlike the real thing needs a magazine to lock it back same as the VFC

I believe the KWA also has the release the wrong way round, same as the Marui.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.