Cyma Cm.040b Vs Specna Arms Sa-e02 Edge

EJJS

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Which one would be better for a first aeg? I've heard Specna arms is crap but those specs seem really good for the price. Cyma apparently just works well. Also, is there any basic mods I should do to the gun? 

cyma are tried and tested and very reliable. Specna were good up until recently where they changed the manufacturer of their gearboxes. Now they are not very good. G&g combat machines are also another good starter option. 

In general id avoid modifying it at least for a while. 

12 minutes ago, HuttArmouries said:

cyma are tried and tested and very reliable. Specna were good up until recently where they changed the manufacturer of their gearboxes. Now they are not very good. G&g combat machines are also another good starter option. 

In general id avoid modifying it at least for a while. 

Cyma it is then. I prefer AK over a M4 anyway. 

23 minutes ago, EJJS said:

Which one would be better for a first aeg? I've heard Specna arms is crap but those specs seem really good for the price.

I have a Specna Arms no issues all seems fine but mine is the G36. 
I would get a red dot sight or something like that for the gun if hasn’t already.

35 minutes ago, EJJS said:

What about the JG g36? or the G&G Cm16 carbine? 

G&G is a brand I have used in the past and me and my mates think they are a great brand. Never had any issues with my MP5

24 minutes ago, Leonine said:

G&G is a brand I have used in the past and me and my mates think they are a great brand. Never had any issues with my MP5

Honestly the g&g combat machines are awesome. Ive seen far more problems with their top tech stuff than their budget stuff. 

I have a Specna Edge and a Cyma CM.045. I've also owned a JG G36 and a couple of Combat Machines.

Short answer: Get the Cyma.

The Edge looks good on the outside but needs a lot of work on the inside to correct the poor QC. I've had to replace: the hop rubber, cylinder, piston o-ring, cutoff lever, bearings for bushings. All before even skirmishing it. Also had to replace the grip because it won't take any motors longer than the stock one. Shoots OK now after polishing the piston rails, re-shimming, greasing (none from the factory) running a 16TPA motor on a 7.4v LiPo

The  indomitable JG G36 is the workhorse of many a rental fleet - they just work, if a little unremarkable. I owned one many moons ago and it got the job done just fine. The V3 gearbox is fairly tough.

Had two Combat Machines. One good, the other a lemon. The good one was the bottom-of-the-range CM16 Carbine (plastic hand guard type). Performed well enough as a budget blaster. The Lemon (a short one with a mock suppressor) sounded and shot awful out of the box. No amount of shimming, bushing/gear replacement would cure it. I'm convinced the gearbox shell was out of spec.

G&G are now too expensive for what you get since they hiked their prices -  there are much better deals now, especially from TaiwanGun or Gunfire. Specna's Core series seem to be good value (£90-95 on Patrolbase for a basic one). If you go down the G&G route, I would avoid any with their ETU (e.g. Raider 2.0). Stick with the cheaper standard-switch variants.

The Cyma AK is a beast. The new ones have much better (blue) internals. Steel body. Sturdy V3 gearbox. Shoots decent out of the box. Mine's a keeper - and a great basis for upgrades. More info here.

2 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

I have a Specna Edge and a Cyma CM.045. I've also owned a JG G36 and a couple of Combat Machines.

Short answer: Get the Cyma.

The Edge looks good on the outside but needs a lot of work on the inside to correct the poor QC. I've had to replace: the hop rubber, cylinder, piston o-ring, cutoff lever, bearings for bushings. All before even skirmishing it. Also had to replace the grip because it won't take any motors longer than the stock one. Shoots OK now after polishing the piston rails, re-shimming, greasing (none from the factory) running a 16TPA motor on a 7.4v LiPo

The  indomitable JG G36 is the workhorse of many a rental fleet - they just work, if a little unremarkable. I owned one many moons ago and it got the job done just fine. The V3 gearbox is fairly tough.

Had two Combat Machines. One good, the other a lemon. The good one was the bottom-of-the-range CM16 Carbine (plastic hand guard type). Performed well enough as a budget blaster. The Lemon (a short one with a mock suppressor) sounded and shot awful out of the box. No amount of shimming, bushing/gear replacement would cure it. I'm convinced the gearbox shell was out of spec.

G&G are now too expensive for what you get since they hiked their prices -  there are much better deals now, especially from TaiwanGun or Gunfire. Specna's Core series seem to be good value (£90-95 on Patrolbase for a basic one). If you go down the G&G route, I would avoid any with their ETU (e.g. Raider 2.0). Stick with the cheaper standard-switch variants.

The Cyma AK is a beast. The new ones have much better (blue) internals. Steel body. Sturdy V3 gearbox. Shoots decent out of the box. Mine's a keeper - and a great basis for upgrades. More info here.

Nice to know about the Specna's. I will be getting the Cyma and probably upgrading my Stti MK23. Any tips on what I should do to it? 

13 minutes ago, EJJS said:

Nice to know about the Specna's. I will be getting the Cyma and probably upgrading my Stti MK23. Any tips on what I should do to it? 

If it's your first AEG, then do nothing with it for at least 2-3 skirmishes.

I played with a guy a few weeks back with a Cyma CM.045 fresh out of the box (literally the day before), not a thing done other than to plug in a battery and insert a mag. He was shooting people all day with it (including me) with no issues.

I have 5 AEGs so I'm happy to open up any new gun to check the shimming/grease etc before I use it, because if there's an issue I can just pick up another gun to use. If you only have one AEG, and fuck it up attempting to 'upgrade' or tinker, then you are either renting, borrowing, or not playing at all.

When you know your gun a bit better - start with a new hop rubber, then perhaps a 16TPA motor to improve ROF/Trigger response. Leave the gearbox as-is for at least 6 months if it's working OK. At some point either you, your preferred tech, or local Airsoft shop will need to do some maintenance (re-grease and check compression parts etc). At that point consider internal upgrades should any parts need replacement.

23 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

If it's your first AEG, then do nothing with it for at least 2-3 skirmishes.

I played with a guy a few weeks back with a Cyma CM.045 fresh out of the box (literally the day before), not a thing done other than to plug in a battery and insert a mag. He was shooting people all day with it (including me) with no issues.

I have 5 AEGs so I'm happy to open up any new gun to check the shimming/grease etc before I use it, because if there's an issue I can just pick up another gun to use. If you only have one AEG, and fuck it up attempting to 'upgrade' or tinker, then you are either renting, borrowing, or not playing at all.

When you know your gun a bit better - start with a new hop rubber, then perhaps a 16TPA motor to improve ROF/Trigger response. Leave the gearbox as-is for at least 6 months if it's working OK. At some point either you, your preferred tech, or local Airsoft shop will need to do some maintenance (re-grease and check compression parts etc). At that point consider internal upgrades should any parts need replacement.

I wasn't talking about the Cyma. I have an mk23 and I've hear that it could be better with some upgrades. 

15 minutes ago, EJJS said:

I wasn't talking about the Cyma. I have an mk23 and I've hear that it could be better with some upgrades. 

Ah. Well, that's a whole other subject.

The current trend for the Mk23 is something like:

- CrazyJet barrel

- Maple Leaf Hop Rubber

- TDC Cover

You would be better off on the Mk23 owners group on Facebook - there's loads of information on there.

• Supporters
16 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

/thread

15 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

/thread, again

Would uprate again, will echo for emphasis.

Specna Arms Edge guns had a good start, but do seem to have gone to pot recently.  I wouldn't gamble on an Edge now.

G&G CM16 has nice plastic and they perform fine, if you get a good one.  But they're very generic M4 and can be a little fussy about mags.

JG G36 is decent and robust with a useful rotary hop.  The battery space isn't huge though, and the plastic is passable but not great.  I've had a couple of lock-ups from mine from incomplete semi-auto cycles that popped the fuse.  Fair point that mags aren't quite as cheap and plentiful as M4 / AK, although STANAG magwell adapters can be made to work.

But CYMA AKs, sure, go for it.  My first rental was a metal CYMA AK, it felt rock solid, and CYMA have been improving of late (not that they were ever bad, just cheap from economies of scale).  If the local outdoor site up here ever get going again and runs their promised Nam filmsim, I'll be using that as an excuse to pick up a CYMA AK, maybe an 04x if the budget stretches to that.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.