The Super Shit Rifle - 15

Skara

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Kzwi said:

As someone who learned how aggravating it can be to take apart your JG bar 10 about 10 000 times to get it right and sink in it 3 times the cost in upgrade parts.

thing is, doing it yourself might be a chore, but it's a learning experience, and once you've got to that level by putting in the hard work you're going to be in a position to maintain a good gun because you'll know what needs to be done.

whereas a new guy just yanking a gun out of a box isn't going to know any of that, sure it might shoot well for the first while but then the barrel gets clogged, groupings open up, and the inexperienced owner hasn't a clue how to fix it.

One of my grievances with many airsofters and their YouTube channels results in their portrayal of the sport/hobby. While there are those who provide a better representation than others there are a significant number who seem to pursue views and likes regardless of the potential damage. My argument has always been that these people are the public face of the hobby and as such they are diplomats for it.

A point of consideration is how many aspiring airsofters have had the idea firmly stepped on by their parents as a result of parents going to YouTube to try get an idea of what it is that little Timmy is interested in this time. I wager by simply searching for "airsoft" on YouTube that you're likely to be faced with some of the most disgraceful examples of the hobby available.

While I think social media and YouTube can be positive platforms, we see on a daily basis how toxic and cancerous these platforms are when they're misused and abused.

Is there a moral and ethical obligation to portray the sport positively? Not by any means but these high profile YouTubers need to be aware of what they are putting out there. Sadly, like many people, I suspect that ethics and morality fall by the wayside once money is involved.

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

One of my grievances with many airsofters and their YouTube channels results in their portrayal of the sport/hobby. While there are those who provide a better representation than others there are a significant number who seem to pursue views and likes regardless of the potential damage. My argument has always been that these people are the public face of the hobby and as such they are diplomats for it.

A point of consideration is how many aspiring airsofters have had the idea firmly stepped on by their parents as a result of parents going to YouTube to try get an idea of what it is that little Timmy is interested in this time. I wager by simply searching for "airsoft" on YouTube that you're likely to be faced with some of the most disgraceful examples of the hobby available.

While I think social media and YouTube can be positive platforms, we see on a daily basis how toxic and cancerous these platforms are when they're misused and abused.

Is there a moral and ethical obligation to portray the sport positively? Not by any means but these high profile YouTubers need to be aware of what they are putting out there. Sadly, like many people, I suspect that ethics and morality fall by the wayside once money is involved.

this is by no means an isolated opinion.

i sometimes hear arguments such as "so and so isn't as bad in real life" or "that's just edits to make it look like he's doing [insert example of poor sportsmanship here]"

problem is as you say it's the impression that's being communicated to an otherwise ignorant audience, meaning at best we get people with a false sense of what's considered acceptable behavior on a site, or at worst we're losing out on players who think that's what the hobby is like.

@SkaraI get what you are saying, and i understand it is frustrating but i disagree. As a new player i got really pissed off at the cheaters until it got pointed out to me that no, i was just out of range. Some player took the time to explain to me the range, how to set the hop up, explained to me that you dont always feel it with all that stuff we know, but i didn't know then and that probably contributed to me continuing to play. 

@Adolf HamsterIn my case, i now stay away for teching my replicas, and i went back to aeg i'll do the hop/barrel assembly, but the rest, i prefer to go see a good tech, ends up costing me less money and aggravation and i dont mind helping local business.  🙂 ( i get that it is nice working on your own stuff, but i prefer spending the tech time on my road bike)

Edited by Kzwi
typo

10 minutes ago, Kzwi said:

( i get that it is nice, but i prefer spending the tech time on my road bike)

Yeah I will clean barrel and do bit of oiling but anything else I let stepson do it lol.

That way I can sharpen my chisels and general tool time.

Regards 

24 minutes ago, Kzwi said:

I get what you are saying, and i understand it is frustrating but i disagree. As a new player i got really pissed off at the cheaters until it got pointed out to me that no, i was just out of range. Some player took the time to explain to me the range, how to set the hop up, explained to me that you dont always feel it with all that stuff we know, but i didn't know then and that probably contributed to me continuing to play. 

See, if [insert celebrity name here] made a video on proper tips for beginners instead of showcasing that one dude who had a bad day and didn't call that one hit as the pure evil in the sport, you wouldn't have gotten mad at supposed cheaters because you would have known that your bbs weren't getting there.

If [insert celebrity name here] didn't behave like a twat on the internet, the two kids in my team wouldn't have complained about "cheaters" but would have asked "my gun doesn't have range, can you tell me why and how to address it?"

Are you strongly disagreeing with my stong disagreement about your strong disagreement with my first disagreement ? 

Actually, i might have gotten mad without help, my first game was about 12 years ago, there were not much Youtube channel on airsoft, and i'm perfectly capable of being an idiot without anyone's assistance :D

10 minutes ago, Kzwi said:

Are you strongly disagreeing with my stong disagreement about your strong disagreement with my first disagreement ?

let's disagree to disagree, so we can disagree to disagree about my disagreement with your disagreement.

Man I've been working for 12 hours straight, my brain's done :D

6 minutes ago, Skara said:

let's disagree to disagree, so we can disagree to disagree about my disagreement with your disagreement.

Agreed

It’s all very anecdotal, and leads to the conclusion being draw via the path of least resistance. We like to justify our opinions, and that’s easier when other folks agree with it.

Some players are arseholes, some players aren’t. Some are arseholes because of an ‘influencers’ content, some are arseholes because that’s who they are.

If there is a shared concern for how an individual conducts themselves while playing then do the standard talk to marshalls and/or site owners and hope that they’re responsible enough to have a quiet word and nip it in the bud. Assuming your comfortable to do it in a non-confrontational manor you’re more than welcome to have that chat yourself, but it can be hard to sound really condescending at times (there are a lot of ‘bread and butter’ things in this hobby which we can often forget aren’t common knowledge).

I may just be grumpy today, but I’m growing so tired of the sand bagging of content creators. Just feels like such a low hanging fruit for an exaggerated rant. We have such a niche hobby and it’s great that there are more ‘mainstream’ ways of bringing new folks in, just be sure to nurture them rather than resent every new face you see.

23 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

It’s all very anecdotal, and leads to the conclusion being draw via the path of least resistance. We like to justify our opinions, and that’s easier when other folks agree with it.

Some players are arseholes, some players aren’t. Some are arseholes because of an ‘influencers’ content, some are arseholes because that’s who they are.

If there is a shared concern for how an individual conducts themselves while playing then do the standard talk to marshalls and/or site owners and hope that they’re responsible enough to have a quiet word and nip it in the bud. Assuming your comfortable to do it in a non-confrontational manor you’re more than welcome to have that chat yourself, but it can be hard to sound really condescending at times (there are a lot of ‘bread and butter’ things in this hobby which we can often forget aren’t common knowledge).

I may just be grumpy today, but I’m growing so tired of the sand bagging of content creators. Just feels like such a low hanging fruit for an exaggerated rant. We have such a niche hobby and it’s great that there are more ‘mainstream’ ways of bringing new folks in, just be sure to nurture them rather than resent every new face you see.

Except for likcing c*ntstain he really is just an arsehole

• Supporters
1 hour ago, EvilMonkee said:

I'd say he's actually the perfect example of the youtube sellout.

Look at his very early videos, when he was uploading for fun rather than ad money, totally different player.

• Supporters
14 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

That.  I don't really have a problem with Novritsch: he's selling a carefully edited dream, but it's generally good natured about it. Mind you, he did load a 40-Mike into a launcher while in a safe zone near folk without eyepro on, but that was an error, not making any sort of point.  Most of the other European celebs are fine too.

The only ones I want off my internets are Mustang (great to see him getting banned from sites now), and the Septic clickbait peddlers producing rage-flip-out-punishment videos. Clickbait really works, and it does reach the wrong audience.

IRL example, there was an excitable young player out on Sunday who was super excited to demonstrate (before game-on) the auto ROF of his proto-wanker-gun and who was proclaiming his ambition to get the semi up to the rate shown in the infamous "No full auto in buildings" video, referenced explicitly.  A couple of other folk chimed in with "Yeah, me too" and "That's hilarious".

A marshal did - rightly, and calmly - point out that the semi at the site wasn't "as fast as you can pull the trigger", but 1-2-3-pause, so they'd be wasting their money.  But the aspiration has already been set.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Skara said:

Let's talk about this KJW KP-13 Auto for a second LUL

"The slides always broke on my Glock 18s, so we drilled holes in our heavy... light... heavy-light slide because... look at those holes!"

I think it looks gopping with that extended barrel, but he's put some thought into it.  Fixed barrel, yes, Maple Leaf rubber and a hop unit that can lift 0.32g, yes, fibre-optic sights, yes.  Slight beaver-tail, eh, OK, safety first.

£133 is a reasonable price for that, if it performs as advertised.

17 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:
£133 is a reasonable price for that, if it performs as advertised. if you only use it in 30° weather and forget about it from October to May

FTFY

The title of this thread should absolutely be ‘Piping Hot Takes on New Novritsch Products’.

That aside, I’ve been looking out for something a bit snappier to run alongside my MK23 for when things get spicy. I’ve all but settled on an AAP at this point (the internal full auto switch being the biggest downside for me), but had it not been for the CS stories of late I might consider this once there is more known about the performance/reliability. As tends to be the case that’ll all ‘come out in the wash’.

Granted, I’m not really ‘into’ pistols and have no idea how much an OEM impacts how good/bad they are in varying weather conditions.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, alxndrhll said:

The title of this thread should absolutely be ‘Piping Hot Takes on New Novritsch Products’.

I'm fine with them, I doubt that he's managed to reduce the quality below any other airsoft pot-metal product.  Bloke on Sunday was running an SSP1 all day with no problems, and seemed happy enough with it.

Mind you, I'm happy enough with my £55 R17, so that's where I've set my standards.

• Supporters

Are we even surprised at this point?

I mean anyone putting "honest review" in the title of their video is telling me i should probably be taking the whole thing with a pinch of salt.

You want a review of something then find someone who doesnt stand to gain from telling you its faults.

21 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Are we even surprised at this point?

I mean anyone putting "honest review" in the title of their video is telling me i should probably be taking the whole thing with a pinch of salt.

You want a review of something then find someone who doesnt stand to gain from telling you its faults.

My first job after graduating was as a marketing and ops assistant for a subsidiary of a massive and properly evil company. The first thing they teach you about marketing these sort of things is that your strap lines and marketing phrases should always be a lie/what you want to change people's minds on. The truth/your good points should be obvious and speak for themselves. 

I always think of that when looking at titles/adverts/anything now. When someone says 'honest review' they usually mean the opposite/total shill. If it was an honest review you wouldn't need to tell me. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.