Crushing Disappointment in Airsoft

Speedbird_666

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Click-bait title - soz, not soz.

Chatting with people at a skirmish on Sunday, the subject of disappointing Airsoft products came up - mainly guns.

I was trying to explain about a Tavor replica (not S&T/Umarex) that was made a decade or so ago - supposedly from engineering drawings/CAD files supplied by IWI themselves.

There was an unboxing video from some poor bloke - who was super excited about his (pre-ordered) new toy - slowly had all happiness and enthusiasm crushed out of him by the end of the video as A) The gun was ~10-20% bigger than the real thing, B) The funky electronics were borked and C) The overall build quality was pretty nasty.

Can anyone remind me of the manufacturer of said Tavor and for bonus points, a link to that YouTube video? I can't remember or find either.

In return I will 'like' the next 5 posts you make for free....😜

3 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Ares? I seem to remember they made one, with a shitload of proprietary parts (classic behaviour for Star/Ares)

Nope not Ares. I think they came later.

It think it was a small (possibly Israeli?) company that had made a well-regarded Galil replica - I think it somehow had connections with IWI.

• Supporters
50 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Nope not Ares. I think they came later.

It think it was a small (possibly Israeli?) company that had made a well-regarded Galil replica - I think it somehow had connections with IWI.

It wasn't TSI your thinking of was it? Seem to remember they did a Tar 21 about 10 years ago or so

43 minutes ago, M_P said:

It wasn't TSI your thinking of was it? Seem to remember they did a Tar 21 about 10 years ago or so

YES! Gold star for you. Thanks!

Found the thread on Arnies now - unfortunately the YouTube links are now dead.

By your description Ares fits the bill.

Pretty much everything from them made people wet, then super disappointed.

Glad you found the Ares beater tho

3 minutes ago, Skara said:

By your description Ares fits the bill.

Pretty much everything from them made people wet, then super disappointed.

Glad you found the Ares beater tho

This was on a whole different level of shite. It made Ares look good by comparison.

• Supporters

I've had some great ares/star kit, maybe I was just lucky lol

8 minutes ago, Tackle said:

I've had some great ares/star kit, maybe I was just lucky lol

I like Ares plastics & accessories - grips, stocks, rails etc. I've had a few bits over the years and it's all been really good quality at a reasonable cost.

I'm not sure I would want one of their guns though - those proprietary EFCS triggers really don't float my boat.

Reminds me of the terrible time I had as one of the first people to get the KWA/Umarex Gas Tavor. It just didnt work right out of the box. Venting gas all over the place, FPS was way too high. I cut my losses early on and sold at a fair loss. 

The Low end Umarex Sportline that I got after new for 80 euros was actually reasonable and since upgrading, one of my favourites. 

37 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

The TSI Tavor shitshow for those that don't recall/weren't around

https://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/162913-tsi-tavor-update/&

Thats the one. It was the YouTube unboxing/review that got me. The guy was pretty dejected by the end. If I spent over 600usd I would have been gutted too.

24 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Reminds me of the terrible time I had as one of the first people to get the KWA/Umarex Gas Tavor. It just didnt work right out of the box. Venting gas all over the place, FPS was way too high. I cut my losses early on and sold at a fair loss. 

The Low end Umarex Sportline that I got after new for 80 euros was actually reasonable and since upgrading, one of my favourites. 

Lesson I’ve learnt over the years, never be a launch customer! 

Isn’t the Umarex made by S&T? Was there a plastic GB version also knocking around or is that the same gun?

2 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Isn’t the Umarex made by S&T? Was there a plastic GB version also knocking around or is that the same gun?

Yes and yes. There are still a few new stock plastic gearbox ones out there so need to be careful! 

Just now, EvilMonkee said:

Biggest ever disappointment was my recent purchase of a VFC/Umarex VP9.  Utter garbage unless its over 18 degrees.

Interesting - I love the look of the VP9, shame the licensed gun is rubbish for you. I had a Stark Arms (also made by VFC) G17 and it was a bit shit too.

Hopefully TM will come out with their own version at some point.

5 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

This was on a whole different level of shite. It made Ares look good by comparison.

Never had a prob with my amoeba 013. Three years and still going strong. Did snap the battery box off once by doing woodland gymnastics!

Regards

5 hours ago, Asomodai said:

Might be worth keeping an eye out for a Hephaestus Project T, I think that was well-regarded.

59 minutes ago, PureSilver said:

Might be worth keeping an eye out for a Hephaestus Project T, I think that was well-regarded.

It was pretty much a Ghk g5 with a TAR body

• Supporters

This one time, I bought a CYMA CM.351 tri-shotty, and after working fine in a garage test, it started double-feeding on the first game day before chrono.

Thirty pounds that thing cost me. Thirty!  The lawsuit still hasn't been resolved. 😠

I've since discovered that the problem was down to putting the pump-grip from an ASG Franchi on it and it actually works just fine.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.