Rail Mounted Bipods

Leader Bee

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

i've used both a grip pod and a harris style bipod.

the grip pod imo is pretty useless, you can use it to stand the gun up nicely in the safe zone but once you hit the field it quickly becomes apparent it sucks both as a grip and a bipod.

the harris is at least better at being a bipod, but it reveals the simple fact that it's rare in an airsoft game with airsoft engagement distances/what passes for precision that you really don't need one, by the time you get it deployed your fleeting opportunity to shoot has passed.

honestly the thing that does the best job as prone support is the magazine....

Defo agree, a bipod handgrip is the best thing to use and will help you with those accurate shots in prone. I used one on my real steel L85A2 during my ACMT (Annual Combat Markmanship Test) and the stability is fantastic in prone & standing/kneeling. I’ve never skirmished a a bipod handgrip yet but I can tell you it offers more functionality  than a standard handgrip and bipod. I think you can buy airsoft replicas for around £15 - £25

DC62FBBE-E862-4FD7-95A7-73908791BFAC.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

the harris is at least better at being a bipod, but it reveals the simple fact that it's rare in an airsoft game with airsoft engagement distances/what passes for precision that you really don't need one, by the time you get it deployed your fleeting opportunity to shoot has passed.

I didn't realise they took so long to deploy, I figured there would be a quick release switch that just dropped them into a standing position.

I’m a fan of the Harris bipod, they have worked well in the past. Great for “setting up” in a location.  Also like the look of it on certain RIFs. Not a fan of the bipod handgrip, but I can see the interest of them due to the functionality of it.

depending on the situation, any time lost setting up the bipod won't really matter, if you're defending you're not likely to be moving and want to stay down and out of sight anyway, if you're attacking it depends on the tempo you're gaining ground.

AFAIK the foregrip/bipod combo's drop quite quickly with the push of a button, with the bigger standalone bipods you need to manualy fold both legs down, which can take a bit longer.
I'm thinking of getting one as well, but so far I haven't seen one for M-lok yet, so I might just buy an RIS raila dapter at some point.

• Supporters
49 minutes ago, Leader Bee said:

I didn't realise they took so long to deploy, I figured there would be a quick release switch that just dropped them into a standing position.

the grip pods are pretty much instant to deploy, but then you have zero leg adjustment.

the harris you can get a basic deployment pretty quick, but extending and adjusting the legs to the ground, loosening the pivot etc takes up time.

you also need to keep the gun square to the ground lest the hop curve your shots off (which defeats the purpose of a more precise shooting position) which is a bit of a pain on rough ground.

much easier just to find a stub of wall or a tree or something to lean on.

I wanted a bipod for my DMR but because I knew it wasn't going to get used that often I didn't want a bulky Harris style one hanging off the end of my rifle. I went for these instead so they're out of the way until I need them and have time to set up

-340327015-456114348.jpg

I use an atlas (clone) bipod on my air rifles and they conveniently fold away. I don't see why you can't use it in airsoft. They can fold any number of ways and even be used as a grip if needed. I'd cover the legs in something insulating to keep hands warm and give better grip. 

1597398303220389182472683091913.jpg

• Supporters

While the genuine Grip Pod intended for "real steel" use is probably fine, most airsoft replicas are too flexible to be of any real use. They're not especially comfortable to use as a foregrip either so they suck at both their primary functions.

If you have time to set up a bipod then chances are you're not running and gunning so the "fleeting opportunity" is irrelevant. If you do have time then the tried and tested Harris style is fine or of course you can go for a more modern design without all the external springs and widgets that come on the Harris design. Either way, make sure you can adjust the leg length easily, ideally have one that can tilt and swivel if your're looking to be able to scan for targets. If it's sprung in some way then it can make deploying it a pain but stowing it away again to move is a piece of piss. Make sure the legs are going to be long enough for you though. No point putting a 6-9" bipod on only to find you can't get low enough to sight the rifle because your mags are too big or (like me) your body just doesn't do that shit any more.

If you are on the move then a mag with a baseplate along the lines of the PTS EPM Magpod https://www.ptssyndicate.com/product-page/pts-epm-x-magpod-ptw is good for a steady platform.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.