Posting a RIF

Apharmd

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, need advice,

I'm selling a pistol and I just noticed on another topic that Parcel Force is out as far as posting RIFs.

Can somebody tell me the best company to ship with at the moment?

Thanks.

I would still say Parcelforce for now but TNT are ok and big companies like that. Maybe UPS.

I have only shipped with Parcelforce though when comes to guns. 

Just be weary of UPS, they are not the most reliable. They lost one of my packages (but managed to find it eventually) and one of the packages was 4 days beyond its estimated delivery date. The tracking system is awful too. If you can, use another courier. Just check their reviews on Trustpilot 

• Supporters

Parcel Force are the only courier I can find that even comes close to intimating that they might take airsoft guns. Just whatever you do, don't list them as "imitation" or "toy gnu".

https://www.parcelforce.com/help-and-advice/sending/prohibitions-and-restrictions

"Arms and Ammunition All firearms, other than low-powered air weapons sent within the UK (air rifles, air guns and air pistols), including imitations and antiques; paint-ball or toy guns; taser guns; components of firearms and all other items similar to, or resembling, the foregoing are prohibited.

Arms and Ammunition - low powered air weapons Low-powered air weapons (air rifles, air guns and air pistols), together with lead pellets and other airgun and airsoft projectiles, can be sent but are subject to the following conditions:

1. These items must be sent on an express48 service only
  2. These items must be sent via the Post Office only, and presented at the counter
  3. Enhanced compensation cover is not available"

And that's the best I can find.  Absolutely bizarre that they will take firearms-class air weapons, but (on a strict reading) not airsoft IFs.

So I'd suggest listing your parcel exactly as they say, e.g. "low powered air weapon" / "air gun", not as "airsoft", "imitation", "replica" or similar.  Either way, the maximum compensation you can claim on express48 is £100.

That's if you're being honest. If you were to, for example, list it as "sporting goods" then you could pay for extra cover in the event that they lose it, or send it expressAM and get £200 cover.

And if they've lost it, how are they going to know that it was actually an airsoft gun?

On UPS, they have a blanket prohibition on "firearms", and yes, I know airsoft guns are explicitly not firearms, but do you think they know that?  What they do say is that if they reckon the item is prohibited, then you agree to pay them another £120, and that's not £120 to have your assault-style-toy either delivered or returned, it's £120 just because.

https://www.ups.com/gb/en/help-center/shipping-support/prohibited-items.page

I have posted 3 recently via this forum with royal mail and just said it was a toy.

All got through fine, without issue. 

My experience has been a fair bit different, so I'll chime in here:

I've been posting and receiving airsoft stuffs for as long as 3 years now, absolutely dozens of RIF's posted and received, 99% of them being via parcelforce exclusively given their noting on RIF's.

• Every time I've booked one, I clearly note the parcel as 'Airsoft Toy Replica' and ensure that if it's gas then all mags have been degassed.
  • I really don't think they care, what's more important to them is you pay the valued insurance amount more as a palm greaser for them to look the other way while it gets delivered. (but again, it's not like you're posting an actual real steel)
  • I've used 24/48 hr as much as each other, never lost a single parcel and had them delivered UK Wide within the timeframe.

Truthfully, I don't think they care,

If you have a Clear sender name and Return address and make it clear what the parcel is (and UKARA where necessary), there is no need to be worried.

If you want to be extremely careful, print a note and place it inside the parcel, explaining that it is a toy replica, the sender name and address and UKARA.

the only time you need to worry is if something is being posted via courier (royal mail mainly) and it somehow passes through glasgow customs/airport/logistics as they are said to be extremely gung-ho on seizing and destroying any parcels they come across.

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Pigeon_Haris said:

never lost a single parcel

Well, it's only going to be an issue when they do lose or wreck one and you try to claim compensation.

I find it curious that you're choosing to pay for extra compo while declaring something that would allow them to not pay it.

13 hours ago, Pigeon_Haris said:

Truthfully, I don't think they care

I'd agree that the counter monkey and van men won't give a stuff.

However, the bean counters in the compo department might be delighted to be able to say "How very dare you abuse our service to send an assault-style toy?"

But again: it's not going to be an issue until they lose one.

Glasgow though, I can completely believe they're a bunch of miserable moaning jobsworths, especially after we started licencing air weapons up here.

11 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Well, it's only going to be an issue when they do lose or wreck one and you try to claim compensation.

I find it curious that you're choosing to pay for extra compo while declaring something that would allow them to not pay it.

Don't jinx it! 🙏

And that's Intriguing, didn't actually know that, nice to know I just lost hundreds of pounds on that I would never have been able to claim in the first place.

but my own personal theory is that; you are not paying a petty amount to post it in the first place, the parcel for a RIF is pretty damn big (I don't use them for pistol sized boxes) and it will sent through a non commercial courier van, (personal residential deliveries) so really I'd be amazed if one got lost.

I'm still not convinced they actually do not allow airsoft replicas, as I've been on the phone many a time with them during my early trips to the post office (before I was in the know) to get clarification that they are indeed allowed to be sent.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Pigeon_Haris said:

I'm still not convinced they actually do not allow airsoft replicas

Big organisations are rarely monoliths, and I reckon you're right that most of them are just interested in taking your money up front, without knowing or caring about their published rules (they may have internal sources that are out of date, or just plain different) or about what's inside as long as it's not dripping, hissing or smoking.  The note of caution is about the claims department, whose job is finding reasons to not pay out.

All that said, I do agree that Parcel Force is probably the least likely courier to lose / steal / auction off our goods.

And in practice, they also seem to be the least openly hostile to the idea of carrying air guns.  I can't find anyone better, we're not spoiled for choice.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

The only courier I’ve ever had an issue with is Hermes, had to threaten them to get them to deliver a couple of “lost” RIF’s.

https://www.myhermes.co.uk/_assets/pdf/carry-guide.pdf

"Prohibited items: Hermes won’t compensate you for loss, damage or late delivery of these items.

Weapons and replica weapons – Including decorative, deactivated or air powered weapon"

Mind you, that list would probably be a lot shorter if it only contained the things that they will carry.

I've used MyHermes for the couple of RIFs that I've sent or returned, but that's because they're cheap, and I listed them as sporting goods.

I'm genuinely puzzled by why anyone would list their package as airsoft / replica / imitation weapon, knowing that it's right there in most couriers' T&Cs that they won't carry those, and won't compensate us.

It's just inviting attention, and if they lose / steal / mis-deliver it, how are they going to prove what was really in there?

In this case, I can't see that honesty is the best policy, as we'll only be punished for it.

I've just gone to ParcelForce website to book a delivery and they do indeed have a category description of 'Airsoft Sports Equipment'

They may be more expensive that other methods but I'd rather pay a few quid extra to have any chance of a refund after describing what's missing/broken.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, EDcase said:

I've just gone to ParcelForce website to book a delivery and they do indeed have a category description of 'Airsoft Sports Equipment'

Huh, that's great news.  I'm going through the Express48 online booking and I'm only getting a free text box to describe it, not a category.

Are they letting you add extra cover if you select that category?  Even better news if so, as regardless of what their prohibited / restricted items list says about a £100 cap, if they accept the money for more providing cover, then that will form a contract by performance.

They may be more expensive that other methods but I'd rather pay a few quid extra to have any chance of a refund after describing what's missing/broken.

If I were sending anything that I couldn't afford to lose, I'd definitely go with Parcel Force, especially if there's actually a category for airsoft.  I'd far rather be honest than not.

Where you type the contents description.

As you start typing 'Air' it should list 'Airsoft Sports Equipment'

I think the cover is related to the value you put. (Of course if you make a claim they'll ask for receipts)

• Supporters
45 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Where you type the contents description.

As you start typing 'Air' it should list 'Airsoft Sports Equipment'

I think the cover is related to the value you put. (Of course if you make a claim they'll ask for receipts)

I might be going to a different page, but it's not autocompleting for me.  express48, right?

image.thumb.png.a96835372ab80cf28ae5f10314eeccff.png

Still reckon I might list it as "low powered air rifle / pistol" in order to match the magic words on their prohibited items list.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.