Geoff's Bb's or Equivalents

AlphaBear

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Now I'm confused.... in my case my cylinder is matched to the length of the full length barrel and I assume the compression is as perfect as Sam can get it to be... so cold I in theory go over a sites joule limit?

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

Now I'm going off tangent here....So this topic of Joule creep got me thinking... in theory one could go over a site joules limit if not careful..  

The UK joules limit is about 1.13 to 1.14 based on a 0.2g bb @ 350fps. So if we take the 0.43g bb as an example it must not exceed 238fps according to the Z1 calculator. Could that same 0.43 bb travel faster if the gun has excellent compression, perfect hop and perfect barrel or am I completely missing the concept here? 

what davegolf's talking about is losing energy from undervoluming, ammo that takes longer in the barrel is going to lose more air around it from the standard losses you get (barrel/bb gap).

joule creep (at least the way i use the term) is the gain you get when using heavier ammo in a constant pressure system (ie aeg or hpa) as opposed to a constant energy system (ie an aeg).

@AlphaBear the 1j limit implies no MED, full auto someone at 2 meter range.

Most sites have an MED because naturally running at higher FPS is obviously going to impart higher joules.

Once the BB has departed the barrel it is from that point forwards decelerating, hence the MED because after 30M it has lost enough energy to be safe / 1j again on impact.

For example a BASR is putting out nearly 2.3j

A 450 FPS DMR 1.8j

A 420 FPS DMR 1.6j

So all im saying is tune the gun to maintain that joule reading.

Gas and HPA are capable of increasing the joule, but and AEG will only do so very maringally if at all.

To answer your build from Sam, you need a chrono and do some testing to find the 'sweet' weight :)

@Adolf Hamster, @Davegolf, Ahhhh gotcha... that makes sense now...I do have a chrono here with me an Xcotech x3200 but only 0.2 and 0.25 ammo at the moment. I'll get some 0.28's for the primary 416 and 0.4's for the DMR 417 and report back once I test.. Or would you recommend 0.3 for woodland? I mean how much difference is there between 0.28 and 0.3 other than £5 for the packet...

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

@Adolf Hamster, @Davegolf, Ahhhh gotcha... that makes sense now...I do have a chrono here with me an Xcotech x3200 but only 0.2 and 0.25 ammo at the moment. I'll get some 0.28's for the primary 416 and 0.4's for the DMR 417 and report back once I test.. Or would you recommend 0.3 for woodland? I mean how much difference is there between 0.28 and 0.3 other than £5 for the packet...

i'm probably the wrong person to ask about ammo weights given my penchant for occasionally yeeting 0.48's out of an assault gun with a 1j limit....

however, for an assault role i'd normally run in the 0.3g range, and go heavier for sniper/dmr type role where lower round count makes up for the ammo cost.

15 minutes ago, Pop said:

ASG Devil Blaster 0.28s for my Avalon

and Geoffs Super Precision 0.45s for my SRS here

I've also heard good things about the ASG Devil Blasters... at 0.28 to 0.3 it's probably more cost effective than Geoffs?

I would highly reccomend buyign in some Green Devil BIOs from belguim;

A: they are very accurate

B: we should all be using BIOs outside

If you already have a load of 0.28s, use them up.

If your assualt gun is 330-350 then go 0.30s for accuracy over range, or 0.28s for a little more BB speed / faster time to target.

If you are 330 or less stay at 0.25/0.28

PS if you gun is a Sam (Liggat?) custom build he should be able to tell you what weight he optimised it for. I do.

• Supporters
22 hours ago, Davegolf said:

B: we should all be using BIOs outside

I think we should be using them both indoors and out, but I believe that we're not.  PLA does not appear to be woodland biodegradable in any meaningful sense.

https://www.biosphereplastic.com/biodegradableplastic/uncategorized/is-pla-compostable/

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/304615824_Mineralization_of_Poly_lactic_acidPLA_Poly_3-hydroxybutyrate-co-valeratePHBV_and_PLAPHBV_Blend_in_Compost_and_Soil_Environments

I'm in two minds about whether to mention this, as if landowners who mandate biodegradable find out, then we might find ourselves using gel blasters.

But I think we should be using actual biodegradable BBs, and that's only going to happen if we call foul on PLA.

So did people agree that BLS and Geoffs are the same?

The pricing for 1KG of the little buggers from Skirmish shop is very attractive. 

15 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I think we should be using them both indoors and out, but I believe that we're not.  PLA does not appear to be woodland biodegradable in any meaningful sense.

https://www.biosphereplastic.com/biodegradableplastic/uncategorized/is-pla-compostable/

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/304615824_Mineralization_of_Poly_lactic_acidPLA_Poly_3-hydroxybutyrate-co-valeratePHBV_and_PLAPHBV_Blend_in_Compost_and_Soil_Environments

I'm in two minds about whether to mention this, as if landowners who mandate biodegradable find out, then we might find ourselves using gel blasters.

But I think we should be using actual biodegradable BBs, and that's only going to happen if we call foul on PLA.

the salient point here is how will landowners know if you're using bio bb's? (of course if they don't degrade over whatever the time period is then obviously).. But more importantly and in the present game day, how will game organisers know this too? The game owners will not check peoples bb's at the start of the day... It's all down to the goodwill of the players... And the fact that bio's are a tad more than their counterparts kinda goes against the saving of the planet argument. But in short, yes we should all be using bio's.. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, AlphaBear said:

The game owners will not check peoples bb's at the start of the day...

A local woodland site was saying they expected people to open a new, sealed bottle or bag of bio BBs each game day, and that the land owner had threatened to do spot checks.

Then then got kicked off that site anyway, so I've no idea how or if they actually enforced it.  Also, in this context specifically, there's no way you're going to do that with heavyweight BBs.

While I'm on my hobby horse, I'll note again that heavyweight BBs are only notionally plastic anyway, as pure ABS and PLA are both under 0.2g for a 6mm BB.  God knows what else is in there, or how degradable (bio or otherwise) it is.

Well I bought a pack of 0.4’s and 0.3’s hopefully this weekend I’ll give them a try. Still trying to get my head around how pricey a pack of 1000 0.4’s is!

I’m also contemplating trying out 0.3 ASG Devil Blasters as they are £3 cheaper a bottle than Geoff’s. 

9 hours ago, AlphaBear said:

Well I bought a pack of 0.4’s and 0.3’s hopefully this weekend I’ll give them a try. Still trying to get my head around how pricey a pack of 1000 0.4’s is!

I’m also contemplating trying out 0.3 ASG Devil Blasters as they are £3 cheaper a bottle than Geoff’s. 

If your going 0.3s try Green Devil BIO, better than Blasters or Geoffs

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.