Drinking Water and Airsoft

Pop

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I couldn't find a thread on this but wanted to see how other people went about it considering the heat these days? 🚰

- Do you carry water on your person when you play?

- How do you carry it (bladder, bottle on chest rig, lay it by a tree for after a game) and how many litres? 

- Do you carry water year-round or only in the summer months?

Personally, I currently carry a 500ml bottle in a dump pouch on my rig and replace at lunch, but I'm thinking of buying a back panel with a bladder so would like to hear what you guys do.

• Supporters
13 minutes ago, Pop said:

Personally, I currently carry a 500ml bottle in a dump pouch on my rig and replace at lunch, but I'm thinking of buying a back panel with a bladder so would like to hear what you guys do.

I hope that's not all you drink! Obviously the amount of water you need will depend on age, weight, gender, fitness and the weather but if you're running about in gear then 1litre in a day is way too little!

On hot days, a little backpack with bottles of water and playing consumables (bag of BB's to bomb-up, Grenades etc) left at convenient spot on the playing field to be used in between games until I get back to the safe zone.

Bear in mind strapping the 3L of water onto your back is the same as adding a 3kg weight - which you'll have to lug around with you. But if you are doing Milsims, Battlesims or all-day skirmishes where breaks are fewer and further between, it's the most practical way of doing it I suppose.

It’s horses for courses. Some people need more than others. If your site is managed well then you’d have three maybe four safe zone breaks so drink up then. The other weekend I drank between games. I kinda didn’t want to use the portaloo if you know what I mean. But then towards the latter half of the afternoon I was getting a tad tired and attributed to the lack of H2O intake. Mind you it may have been the pot noodle I had for lunch which was a shock to the system. But if you’re concerned just carry wee bottle with you during the game. 

9 minutes ago, Lozart said:

I hope that's not all you drink! Obviously the amount of water you need will depend on age, weight, gender, fitness and the weather but if you're running about in gear then 1litre in a day is way too little!

I take that out in the morning, drink another .5/1l at lunch and then another 500ml in the afternoon. 

I would rather take 1L but can't figure a way to carry it very well with my chestrig. What do you do?

11 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

On hot days, a little backpack with bottles of water and playing consumables (bag of BB's to bomb-up, Grenades etc) left at convenient spot on the playing field to be used in between games until I get back to the safe zone.

Bear in mind strapping the 3L of water onto your back is the same as adding a 3kg weight - which you'll have to lug around with you. But if you are doing Milsims, Battlesims or all-day skirmishes where breaks are fewer and further between, it's the most practical way of doing it I suppose.

I used to carry a large 1.25L shaker bottle and leave it by a tree, but I found having to walk back to said tree after each game was more exhausting than just carrying 500ml on me instead.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Pop said:

I take that out in the morning, drink another .5/1l at lunch and then another 500ml in the afternoon. 

I would rather take 1L but can't figure a way to carry it very well with my chestrig. What do you do?

Honestly, that's still not enough,

If I'm at a skirmish I usually take around 3 litres of water and drink between every game, for longer games I have a Pentagon hydration carrier with a 2 litre bladder.

There's plenty of hydration carriers that would work with a chest rig, what rig do you have?

I usually have one or two 0,5L bottles on me, refill when possible.
I also try not to carry just water but put some of those pills that basically turn it into a sportsdrink (can;t remember the name right now) as I know myself and I also need the salt and minerals, otherwise I'm likely to faint.

I also will take some snacks/sweets with me on the field, just in case.

7 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Honestly, that's still not enough,

If I'm at a skirmish I usually take around 3 litres of water and drink between every game, for longer games I have a Pentagon hydration carrier with a 2 litre bladder.

There's plenty of hydration carriers that would work with a chest rig, what rig do you have?

That's another issue. Currently have a Warrior Assault Systems 901, basically a plate carrier. I'm getting to hot with it covering all my chest so have looked at a Condor Ronin which is more of a vest design with a Condor Hydro Harness bladder on the back. But I'm tempted to go even more lightweight with a Spiritus systems but then not sure how I could carry water.

1 minute ago, Chev Chelios said:

I bought these to stick in a plate carrier. 3 litres of frozen water against your body is lovely https://www.qoreperformance.com/collections/iceplate-1

Wow what a great idea that is!

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Pop said:

That's another issue. Currently have a Warrior Assault Systems 901, basically a plate carrier. I'm getting to hot with it covering all my chest so have looked at a Condor Ronin which is more of a vest design with a Condor Hydro Harness bladder on the back. But I'm tempted to go even more lightweight with a Spiritus systems but then not sure how I could carry water.

I have a 901 myself and yes, it's a hot sweaty thing!

You could get a Haley Flatpack (or similar styled knock off) and use that. The chest rig attaches to the backpack straps and the pack has a pocket for a bladder.

I deffo don't drink enough fluids airsofting. Of course(!) - I've got all the gear, a 500ml bottle, a 1l canteen (when does a bottle become a canteen?), a 1.5l bladder, a 3l bladder, but I only really use the canteen and maybe some bottled water.  I always bring a 4 pack of isotonic drink.  Bizarrely I'm very conscious of my hydration levels before I exercise and as the time approaches I'll make sure my piss is clear. I then drink constantly through out.  But at airsoft I suppose I just have too much fun and get distracted and only drink when I'm thirsty, rather then before. I  guess I drink about 2l -3l. Which really isn't enough. Then I get back and crack on the lagers like a legend and wake up the next day a bit shrivelled!  

That being said I'm still not sure I'd bother actually taking water with me for the actual pew pewing when I drink/eat in the spawn zone or safe zone between games. 

I'd be minded to keep the plate carrier for winter and have a chest rig when its hot. I think 500ml is fine for carrying water on you provided you can replenish it from a larger supply when you need to. 

I've mainly been doing battlesims recently and I never carry water on me in game.  I'll have nearly 4L in a bag left at spawn and drink as and when.  Half frozen for hot days so it stays ice cold all day.

Camelbak with squash just to make it more interesting  when doing green ops and if doing cqb I have a hip bottle

Regards

I always have at least 2 litres of water on me, either in bottles or in a bladder (both stored in my backpack).

In summer I tend to run 3 or more (so bladder + 1/2 bottles), if I remember the night before I freeze the bottles so I get nice cold water.

Last Sunday I ran out of water (3 litres) and didn't even move that much, it was just unbelievably hot and damp (36°)

Yeah I always fill a two litre clean milk container with my mix and leave that in fridge overnight. Nice and cool when it goes on your back lol

Regards

• Supporters

All my rigs & bags have either bladder setups or bottle pouches, always grab a 4 pack of 2L bottles before a game, plus usually take a bottle of orange hi-juice (NOT the no added sugar crap) to mitigate the plastic taste of the bladders 🤮

Oh, just a reminder:

forget about Red Bull or any other energy drink bullshit, it'll make your thirst much worse as they need a fuckton of water to be processed..

I have a 3 litre bladder I have on the back of my WAS RPC. I used to half fill it and top it off at lunch so I wasn't carrying too much unnecessary weight but now I just fill it up in the mornings and it's generally empty by the end of the day

I played 3 weeks ago and again  this Sunday

last time I played, I had with me 12 x 300ml bottles of water

a hydration pack 3l I think and a few isotonic drinks

was just constantly sipping through the day

Im a big lad at 18stone , and whilst I constantly topped up, I didn’t feel the need to pee during the day, so was losing the fluids through perspiration 

best to just keep a bottle on you for the game, and top yourself up with regular sips

When you realise your are dehydrated, it’s already too late 😂

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Tommikka said:

electrolyte

Review: Brawndo The Thirst Mutilator | Everyview

2 litres in winter up to 4 litres in summer, water, in whatever coke / lemonade / Irn Bru bottles I've fished out of the recycling. In CQB with short games I just glug in the safe zone.  In woodland, a 2 litre bottle left in respawn, and carry a 1 litre canteen, mil-spec operator-tech as used by real life Omega Seal Delta Beret Rangers.

Army Style Military Canteen Water Bottle Cover Hydration Alice ...

I might sling a fizzy vitamin C tablet, Ribena, some orange juice or whatever in there, but salt replenishment is handled by peanuts, pork pies and Snickers MARATHONS.

I've tried a camelback, but I can't get on with suckling at the rubbery teat, it just feels a bit like that time I did after-party hospitality for a Young Conservatives Club.

• Supporters

If you wear a Plate Carrier of any sort, check out IcePlates. Assuming they exist in the UK. If its going to be a really hot day Ill freeze two - one for the front and one for the back. As they fit in your plate pouch theres no need for a pack of any sort. I use them for casual games, full blown MilSims, range days, and even hiking though obviously in a backpack and not in a vest haha.

It largely depends on the site. If I'm attending an indoor/CQB site then I'll have bottles with me in the safe zone. When it comes to outdoor sites I'll usually have my camelbak/source water bladder, regardless of how hot or cool it is. At outdoor sites I'll typically have additional water either in the safe zone or at a FOB/spawn, if applicable.

With bladders don't you need to clean/sanitise them between uses? Just asking coz I've never used a Camelbak etc... Or is it just the mouth nipple you clean after sucking it all day? Wait that doesn't sound right does it? (All you kids cover your eyes!!!) 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.