Vortex Strike Eagle

AlphaBear

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Chaps, 

Advice needed....

I’m thinking of getting a vortex strike eagle (used) but need advice if it’s worth shelving out 2 big ones for it? Is it overkill for Airsoft or will any decent much cheaper scope do?

ta

I have a Strike Eagle 1-6 and it's a very nice optic, the eye relief is fantastic and the zoom is very handy for spotting hard to see people.  I do also run x4 power cheap replicas (Acog & Spectre) and they are also ok, but do not come anywhere close to the glass quality and all round goodness of having reel steel.

If you have the cash to burn it's a good optic to get, but you will have to buy a mount for it. (if it does not come with one) Love mine and I paid for it full price brand new..plus that lifetime warranty means I don't have to worry about getting the glass shot out.

FB_IMG_1567969548419.jpg

20180901_214142 (1).jpg

I'd recommend a visionking 1.25-5x26 for about £60 posted off of fleabay from China if you don't fancy dropping 2 ton on a vortex. Might be chinese but the glass is clear and the build quality, eye relief and the rest are very good in comparison to other clone optics. Grab some cheapo mounts and you're sorted. Great cheaper alternative.

It does come with a honeycomb killflash but bbs will just about fit through them, so probably best looking to make your own protection from from some polycarb. That being said I've been using it due to pure laziness and it has saved the optic from a BB - it'd be a one in a million shot to get through a hole that is pretty much bb sized as well, though guaranteed that comment will come to bite me in the arse down the line 😄

• Supporters

i'd say it's a question of do you like lpvo's?

if you've used others and want something nicer then yes a legit vortex is gonna be what you want, if you've not used them and you're not necessarily sold on the whole concept then i'd go with shaydee's answer and get one of the cheaper options which have surprising clarity.

Vortex strike eagle (1x6) imo is an excellent bit of kit for the money, especially if you get a airsoft repro mount for it to cut the cost down an bit.  The lifetime warranty is a massive bonus, i swap mine between my GBBR and RS .22lr... 

It comes down to your comfort in dropping £200 on it (thats a great price btw) 🙂

I've tried cheaper optics before and to be honest I've not got on well with them... they just look like normal hunting scopes and don't really feel military to me (yes I know it's Airsoft but you know what I mean right?)

My biggest concern is the eye relief when wearing Bolle tactical X1 goggles and a lower mesh facemark... (have to keep my pearly whites intact!), would such a setup interfere with it...? 

Funny you should mention that... you know exactly what I'm about to say...... drum roll

TM Next Gen 417 which has had the KoA treatment shooting 450fps in a DMR configuration with a shit load of upgrades which I didn't need which includes a full length PDI R-Hop barrel! 

37 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

Funny you should mention that... you know exactly what I'm about to say...... drum roll

TM Next Gen 417 which has had the KoA treatment shooting 450fps in a DMR configuration with a shit load of upgrades which I didn't need which includes a full length PDI R-Hop barrel! 

Jesus fucking H Christ. I totally get it now. No, a cheapo scope just won't do. Go for the Vortex. In for a penny n'all that.

Personally, I would rather spend the 200 notes on a nice bottle of spiced rum, a line or two of coke, capped off with a blowie from the Albanian hooker that lives down the street. At least the next day I would left with only fuzzy memories of my bad spending decision(s). And possibly herpes.😜

(P.S. I'm only pulling your leg BTW)

On a serious note though @AlphaBear - if you've downed (well) over a grand on your gun (no judgement - honest), it would be a bit of an injustice to stick a £60 cheapo scope on the gun.

Nothing against VisionKing (the one I had was excellent) et al, but with a build such as yours needs (NEEDS!) to be finished off properly.  I reckon the Vortex will help do that (no joke).

But if you do buy one, post up some pics? I get a chubby looking at real steel gear on ridiculously over-priced toy guns (joking....or am I?).

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

On a serious note though @AlphaBear - if you've downed (well) over a grand on your gun (no judgement - honest), it would be a bit of an injustice to stick a £60 cheapo scope on the gun.

Nothing against VisionKing (the one I had was excellent) et al, but with a build such as yours needs (NEEDS!) to be finished off properly.  I reckon the Vortex will help do that (no joke).

But if you do buy one, post up some pics? I get a chubby looking at real steel gear on ridiculously over-priced toy guns (joking....or am I?).

Also @AlphaBear - please tell me you've got a decent sling for it?

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Also @AlphaBear - please tell me you've got a decent sling for it?

Erm, well..... I have a MS2 but truth be told it's not a good one to use for this type of heavy rifle. I do have 2 other clone 2 point slings and a much better  strike systems which is for sure wider and feels better to use. However I'm open to suggestions....

• Supporters
2 hours ago, AlphaBear said:

Erm, well..... I have a MS2 but truth be told it's not a good one to use for this type of heavy rifle. I do have 2 other clone 2 point slings and a much better  strike systems which is for sure wider and feels better to use. However I'm open to suggestions....

Ferro Concepts Slingster. https://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/ferro-concepts-slingster-19772-p.asp

Sounds like a great build and the idea that dropping £60 on a visionking to test the setup style then move it along for the upgrade if you like it is a sound one and not to be completely dismissed.

Slings are a personal preference I have a magpul ms2 which, as a one point, I love but on longer heavier dmr use i found a tad frustrating playing recently. Having to sling the long gun to for the sidearm in close quarters I swapped it over to a two point configuration and it was ok but not great. In the end I have picked up a vtac padded two point for the dmr and it's much better a controlling the weight and moving from slung to use and back again.

Also with the work you're put in to the dmr, I wouldn't trust a cheapo sling.

• Supporters

On 07/08/2020 at 10:21, Speedbird_666 said:

Don't get me started on RS gear. You should see what I have hiding in the loft! I'll dig out a 552 and stick on the 416. It actually looks pretty neat if I'm being honest.. That reminds me I need to zero it too at some point...

My mate decided not to sell his Vortex now... bugger, bugger and bugger! So it may well have to be 3 large ones on a new one...! I'm gonna use one of my cheapo 6x24's just to see how I get on with the rifle... What if I just hate the DMR role? I'v not thought of that... Imagine that!!! Seriously though, I'll wait till Black Friday deals as optic's warehouse usually has some good discounts on during that time...

And yes, I'll post some pics up for sure just for you... rock that chubby!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.