New to the Game a Couple of Answers Needed

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Evening guys! I have recently bought my first RIF a G&G CM16 SRXL and I bought an additional nuprol N-mag for it which refuses to feed! Do you guys have any recommendations for mags that work with this RIF
Also I have two 9.6v 1600mah NiMH batteries and a nuprol compact intelligent charger with a charge current of 1.5a.  How long Should these batteries take to charge? One of them has been on charge for nearly 12 1/2 hours and still isn’t full! Is this normal?

thanks in advance

RED VIKING

BF3DDA9B-34FA-4240-9388-0BCE2885017A.jpeg

• Supporters
15 hours ago, RedVikingAirsoft said:

Evening guys! I have recently bought my first RIF a G&G CM16 SRXL and I bought an additional nuprol N-mag for it which refuses to feed! Do you guys have any recommendations for mags that work with this RIF
Also I have two 9.6v 1600mah NiMH batteries and a nuprol compact intelligent charger with a charge current of 1.5a.  How long Should these batteries take to charge? One of them has been on charge for nearly 12 1/2 hours and still isn’t full! Is this normal?

thanks in advance

RED VIKING

4ahac3.jpg

Hi and welcome.  Yes, mags are a perennial problem.  Workmate Eddy bought a G&G CM16 and I one each of (I think) five different brand of mags, just to see which would fit.  I believe only two fitted and fed, and I had to take a file and a Dremel to the other three to get them to work.  You might have to remove material, especially in the mag release cut out, and/or add some tape.  Fun fact, the STANAG standard was never actually ratified and remains a draft.  Sorry, i know that's not much help, just sympathising.  Someone should be along in a minute with a recommendation.

The best place for that Nuprol charger is in a bin, before it burns your house down. We've had report after report about them failing, sometimes catastrophically.  I wouldn't plug one in if I was gifted it.  A 1600mAh battery taking a 1500mA current should charge in just over an hour, an hour and a half tops even with losses.  Don't charge it for longer than that, and keep an eye - well, a hand - on the temperature.

What I'd suggest is that you don't spend any more on nimh batteries.  They work, but it's old tech.  Lithium based cells (lipo or life) can provide higher currents and are easier for chargers since they know what voltage to charge them up to.  With nimh, the charger doesn't know, it has to look for the resistance of the cell spiking: if it misses that, then it'll just keep pumping charge in.

7.4V lipo, and an IMAX B6 charger, e.g. a SkyRC branded one is the one way to go.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

IMAX B6 charger,

*sigh* - I see this recommended all the time on various Airsoft forums/social media - but rarely (if ever) in the RC community where the technology is actually derived from - because it's old tech and THE most knocked-off charger to ever exist. It's 50/50 as to whether you actually receive a real one, even with the logos/branding. So many better chargers available now for around the same price - yet the Airsoft community seems to be stuck with this 'IMAX B6 is am bestest' mentality. 😉

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

*sigh* - I see this recommended all the time on various Airsoft forums/social media - but rarely (if ever) in the RC community where the technology is actually derived from - because it's old tech and THE most knocked-off charger to ever exist. It's 50/50 as to whether you actually receive a real one, even with the logos/branding. So many better chargers available now for around the same price - yet the Airsoft community seems to be stuck with this 'IMAX B6 is am bestest' mentality. 😉

considering the competition in the airsoft sphere it's still miles ahead.

although granted i have no doubt there's fancier stuff out there these days.

tbh i'm still using an ancient charger with seperate balancer from my old rc days, at least i get a good handle on what the cell voltages actually are.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Speedbird_666 said:

*sigh* - I see this recommended all the time on various Airsoft forums/social media - but rarely (if ever) in the RC community where the technology is actually derived from - because it's old tech and THE most knocked-off charger to ever exist.

My house hasn't burned down yet, so where's your God now?

So many better chargers available now for around the same price - yet the Airsoft community seems to be stuck with this 'IMAX B6 is am bestest' mentality. 😉

It's because those alternatives are secret, and the Glorious RC Master Race would rather scoff at our dirty peasant B6s than share their wisdom.

If you see anyone like that, you could let them know that it's OK to actually suggest better alternatives without turning it into a *sighing* contest.

• Supporters

Come on then oh wise one...what SHOULD we all be buying instead?

17 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

My house hasn't burned down yet, so where's your God now?

Created a new thread. There's some relevance in it to your statement.

15 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Come on then oh wise one...what SHOULD we all be buying instead?

At the cheap end of the scale, SkyRC S65 or T100.

• Supporters

At the cheap end of the scale, SkyRC S65 or T100.

Cool, ta. Personally I have a Turnigy Accucell S60 which appears to be a straight rebrand of the S65.

Edited by Lozart
Corrected charger model number

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.