Gg L85a2 Etu Range Upgrade

jackw7264

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have just bought my G&G l85a2 ETU and after using it i am looking to upgrade it to increase the range i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to upgrade

Maple leaf 50° rubber + omega nub.

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, Skara said:

Maple leaf 50° rubber + omega nub.

To lift all that good quality heavier ammo you'll need to be firing....

After that for effective range (that is to say how far you can make hits rather than purely how far you can sling a bb) you'll want to fix the airseal, and once you've done that you can tweak the airseal a bit then once you've improved the airseal you can get started on the airseal.

Once you've got basically every last atom of gas going down the barrel and nowhere else, then if your a decent chunk under your sites energy limit then perhaps a spring change to bring her a bit closer.

However, if you havent got a backup gun then please take some very serious thought on wether or not its worth cracking open the gearbox to pursue perfection when you've already got good enough.

While your wall of text is crystal clear (apart from the air seal bit), I think the hop rubber is the first thing one should change on his gun and it's a "modification" that can be done by anyone, easily reversible if done wrong or the part doesn't fit (as you don't have to take the gearbox apart and risk losing bits and bobs). Given one uses good quality ammo.

Still the air seal plays a big(ish) part in range and shot consistency, G&Gs aren't terrible when it comes to sealing but they aren't the best either, so you may want to give the o-rings a bit of TLC in the form if silicone spray/oil/grease.

This obviously involves some basic teching skills and if you're not comfortable enough you'd better leave it alone (bar the hop rubber, seriously even a child could do that) or send it to a good tech, not someone who's desperate for your hard earned, but someone who actually cares about his work. Now that kind of tech is a bit more expensive than your standard troglodyte who just puts a huge ass spring and badly nips a coil off to get X gun under the designated limit. Unfortunately, not living in the UK I don't really know any good tech, lucky for you this forum has a dedicated section called "Recommend a Tech" where you can find someone close to you.

If you feel confident enough then do what Adolf said.

• Supporters
30 minutes ago, Skara said:

While your wall of text is crystal clear (apart from the air seal bit), I think the hop rubber is the first thing one should change on his gun and it's a "modification" that can be done by anyone, easily reversible if done wrong or the part doesn't fit (as you don't have to take the gearbox apart and risk losing bits and bobs). Given one uses good quality ammo.

Yeah. I was basically expanding on where to escalate after.

And yeah i am trying to emphasise air seal (especially before springs), very common for folk to see low fps and think "needs moar spring".

To add.

A good air seal (along with an adequate cylinder/barrel volume ratio for the intended bb weight) will let you use a weaker spring, which puts less stress on the gearbox, thus vastly increasing your gun's reliability and longevity.

Also should've put /s after the bracketed air seal part apparently :P

Awesome thanks for the advice guys I’ve bought a Prometheus precision barrel cause I heard that is a good upgrade for increasing the range also would you say the maple leaf rubber as suggested is the best one I could get or is there another you would recommend 

Y U NO LISTEN 2 US!

Haha, just kidding (or not).

There's one thing you should know about barrels, it's the inner finish that makes or breaks a barrel, not the bore diametre..

That's mostly for fine tuning the FPS/Joule output. Now, if your gun is right on the limit in its current form, by putting a tighter bore in you increase the energy output over the site/legal limit.

The term "precision" is faff, all things considered.

As far as hop rubbers go, there are dozens to choose from. I personally favour Maple Leaf rubbers (AEG MR-Hop), if they don't fit then I resort to Prometheus Purple ones. The Prometheus Blue rubber + flat tensioner combo is also great, albeit a tad expensive imo (I remember paying €15 for the rubber and 16 for a pack of 2 tensioners) compared to Maple Leaf (€11 for the rubber, 3 for the Omega tensioner)..

Some people swear by G&G greens, but I only had issues with them so can't recommend those.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.