Gelsoft

Sacarathe

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Has anyone experience with these 'blasters'? In the UK.

First introduced in China as an airsoft substitute (as airsoft is banned in Mainland) and as a better alternative to foam dart guns, gel blasters have become increasingly popular in regions with airsoft-unfriendly laws such as...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gel_ball_shooter

Within the English speaking world they seem to be most popular in Australia. They fire the gel beads you find in garden centres that are typically 7-8mm and 98% water. Supposedly they can use magnus effect and youtube has plenty of gameplay videos. I was musing that the frangible ammo that these fire might be more fun than nerf with children for prone target shooting in the garden. The most interesting thing I found out in this country is that surprise suprise retailers claim they're not IF and amazon still sells RIFS.

So far most of those I've found for sale in the UK are equivelant to a justbbguns special. In AUS they're as expensive as airsoft or paintball. From what I can discern they fire at about 0.6J stock and their common 7-8mm ammo weights are .17g though .24g. Internally they're airsoft. https://youtu.be/HAqjwgPxMfw?t=261

Gel Blasters have gained good traction in AUS and as such many new Chinese manufacturers have begun making parts as it's easier for them to sell as toys, whereas "Airsoft" has become a term best avoided when trying to export or manufacturer.  The company that produces my new XT range of parts started off in the Gel Blaster market.  These parts are every bit as good, as Rocket or SHS but cheaper.  Best of all these "new guys" on the block are willing to tweak designs in order to make a better product.  

• Supporters

I've been keeping a casual eye on them, and it seems that they're getting muzzle velocities up above 300fps now.  When Nanny State comes for airsoft - and I reckon she will, sooner or later - I think these things will be usable enough in CQB or even woodland.  They're certainly a lot more eco-friendly than Dr-Evil-airquotes "biodegradable" BBs.

Snipers are out of luck, but if it gives us an option above nerf, I for one welcome them to the world of overgrown kids playing with toy gnus.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, L3wisD said:

Futuretech Airsoft has used the gel blaster MOSFETs in airsoft builds before

These T238 $30 dollah programmable MOSFETs?

2 hours ago, EDcase said:

If airsoft is ever reduced to gelsoft here I'll be out 😣

A thought did occur: if someone turned up to an airsoft game with one of these, what objection could there be to them using it?

9 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

A thought did occur: if someone turned up to an airsoft game with one of these, what objection could there be to them using it?

I don't think there would be any problem with site insurance.

Personally I wouldn't have any problem with anyone using one but with their limited range/accuracy I don't think they'd have a great time.

Plus they'd have to prepare plenty of ammo in advance since it takes 4 hours 😄

• Supporters

From what I saw, them gel-blasters have a hop at end of barrel

or something that fixes onto end of gun to create lift

What chrono & shot demo I saw, they fly a bit more than bb's

think from what I saw gel-blasting would perhaps be suitable for CQB

good luck getting any decent mid range & accuracy from it

but good luck to aussie's

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Sitting Duck said:

think from what I saw gel-blasting would perhaps be suitable for CQB

That's what I'm thinking.  If it comes down to a choice between laser-tag, nerf, or gel, I know which one I'd opt for.  Not imminent, just steeling myself for the future.

Yeah there is an mod you can buy which attaches to the barrel end to add hop. (Duno if its adjustable)

For the Aussies its better than nothing 👍

I think laser tech could be the future. iCombat system is quite cool 

Just imagine 300mm range and no cheating

18 hours ago, Sacarathe said:

The most interesting thing I found out in this country is that surprise suprise retailers claim they're not IF and amazon still sells RIFS.

I’m not convinced that a gel blaster isn’t an imitation.

Retailers may be making an active decision, ignoring or just being ignorant.

There is precedence with the Home Office via paintball treating paintball guns as low powered air weapons (which allows us to continue to exceed 1.2joules), rendering paintball guns as firearms.  But with

frangible paintballs keeps them safe on lethality.  This frangibility / non lethality  has been backed up in recent years with formal testing of First Strike shaped projectiles
On the basis of firearms they can be realistic without being RIFs (not an imitation) and would be VCRA exempt.

Gel blasters could pursue the same route.

However, there was also a fact finding visit to a paintball retailer conducted by the Association of Chief Constables.  This retailer is the official importer of a brand of realistic paintball guns.  The recommendation to the retailer was that the study considered the paintball guns may be RIFs under the VCRA and that the retailer should think about a UKARA style scheme I case they decided to come back

This didn’t apply just to the obvious RIFs but to every black paintball gun they held.

That retailer introduced a free membership scheme and began to sell their blacks with the option of membership or with blue parts.

The retailer was heavily criticised on announcement of the scheme until they explained the circumstances 

Years later, UKPSF (recognised paintball body) raised a query to the Home Office on behalf of retailers with the increase of MagFed paintball guns. They came back with two outcomes:

The frangibility clause

The potential of UKPSF membership being accepted as a VCRA defence

Both subject to “it would depend on a test case in court”

Neither the retailers scheme nor UKPSF membership meet the explicit criteria of the statutory instrument that allows for airsoft skirmishing, but could potentially be argued as meeting the intent.

Back in the day paintball was considered illegal in Scotland due to using CO2 and not complying to the law for air weapons, this was ignored in England but Scottish sites were raided and taken to court.

Ultimately case law accepted CO2 as an alternate propellant for air weapons and paintball was saved.

You could use this as precedent to allow gel blasters, but if you’re doing that then airsoft would also be low powered air weapons and exempt* from the VCRA - which is a poor argument as a statutory instrument was raised to allow airsoft 

Paintballs and gel balls are frangible, but airgun pellets aren’t 

An airgun is low powered air weapon / firearm and not an imitation

A paintball gun has many twists and turns in legislation and hasn’t been fully established as within or without of the VCRA 

I stick to treating them as guns, prefer to not act like a dick and avoid being the individual who needs to establish status in court

Gel blasters are quite an unknown commodity.

* there was however an amendment to legislation which makes an airsoft gun complying to energy ratings as not defined as a firearm .... so they became firearms exempt and within the VCRA

13 hours ago, EDcase said:

Just imagine 300mm range and no cheating

But presumably no pain either which would lead me to believe people will be happy to take more risks which could change the nature of the game if they know they're not going to get stun; I imagine a LOT more Rambo-ing.

• Mostly Retired Moderators
2 hours ago, Leader Bee said:

But presumably no pain either

I think in the video they mention some kind of feedback, I was listening with the volume quite low though.

They said it hurt quite a bit.

1 hour ago, L3wisD said:

I think in the video they mention some kind of feedback, I was listening with the volume quite low though.

They said it hurt quite a bit.

It's definitely got some potential.  Place in Leeds apparently.  I'd like to see some more videos of just how accurate it is.  From what I've seen the guns are CO2 mag powered but give a pathetic kick.  Like the idea regarding the electric jolt but again have seen video's of teams playing where they either don't have it switched on or it's really low.  Be nice to see the recoil beef'd up, together with some louder gunfire cracks.

43 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

@Sacarathe long time no see. I swear you haven’t posted in a LONG time

Serial lurker. Haven't been able to play locally last 18 months due to illness and then covid hit and I live with ppl in their 60s. So no soft for a long time now methinks.

20 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Well if it hits your lower mesh it's going to go through it... same with mesh eye pro.

Unlikely to be at a velocity that is dangerous however impurities or dirt in the projectile could be carried through. I know they use mesh in AUS but there is a huge difference between being hit by a projectile you expect and one that you've not prepared for. Like Nerf I suspect that these would be compatible with airsoft sites but not necessarily players without explicit consent.

8 hours ago, Tommikka said:

I’m not convinced that a gel blaster isn’t an imitation.

Retailers may be making an active decision, ignoring or just being ignorant.

Gel blasters are quite an unknown commodity.

Although what you wrote here is interesting, they are definitely IFs and RIFs. An IF can be solid wood... My point was that the sellers that I found here are deliberately avoiding the truth. I wasn't able to find any seller of the blasters in the calibre of quality used in AUS though.

2 minutes ago, Sacarathe said:

Serial lurker. Haven't been able to play locally last 18 months due to illness and then covid hit and I live with ppl in their 60s. So no soft for a long time now methinks.

Shame, stay safe pal!

25 minutes ago, Sacarathe said:

Well if it hits your lower mesh it's going to go through it... same with mesh eye pro.

Unlikely to be at a velocity that is dangerous however impurities or dirt in the projectile could be carried through. I know they use mesh in AUS but there is a huge difference between being hit by a projectile you expect and one that you've not prepared for. Like Nerf I suspect that these would be compatible with airsoft sites but not necessarily players without explicit consent.

I have a solution - ban mesh

... and while we're at it add full face ...

Or more realistically, mesh meets airsoft eye protection requirements (not safe as far as I'm concerned, but they meet the standards and its up to sites & their insurers)

The gel / water mix burst from a gel ball is not going to be good for an eye behind mesh. 

I've taken paint from numerous paintballs into my mouth, and have also had indirect paint in my eye through netting - burst from an indirect hit with some distance from the netting was not comfortable.

A direct mesh hit into the eye risks damage.

Airsoft, paintball and gellsoft are similar but they are sufficiently different.

For gelsoft I would need to know the impact of a gelball or  feel a hit to consider whether full face is necessary  (I'd generally always recommend full face!)

It makes sense that if mediums were mixed then the highest protection standard would be required 

On 02/08/2020 at 00:15, Rogerborg said:

That's what I'm thinking.  If it comes down to a choice between laser-tag, nerf, or gel, I know which one I'd opt for.  Not imminent, just steeling myself for the future.

I would like to think if laser tag became mainstream, we could get the blank firing versions as well - or something that uses primers or .22 blank

• Supporters
On 02/08/2020 at 00:17, EDcase said:

I think laser tech could be the future. iCombat system is quite cool

And no eyepro.

Wait...

image.png.b26c2a03a228a18d79af5840065b28b3.png

<i-feel-personally-attacked.png>

22 hours ago, Tommikka said:

frangible paintballs keeps them safe on lethality.  This frangibility / non lethality  has been backed up in recent years with formal testing of First Strike shaped projectiles

We could just mandate that everyone uses 0.2g Blasters... ;)

• Supporters
Just now, Monkeywrencher said:

I'm confused by some of these, how is this not covered by the same rules as an airsoft P90?

https://gelsoft.co.uk/gelsoft-p90x-56/gelsoft-p90x.html

That's a RIF, there is no reasonable argument to be made to the contrary. As far as I can see, it's only airsoft sellers who care about the VCRA, or at least make a token effort to pretend to.  I hope that'll be enough to protect us when the hammer falls on chancers like that.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.