Detonator Slide for TM GBB Pistol

RMDavis

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As title really chaps!

Just wanted any information or first hand experience with these slides?

I have read a lot of mixed information about replacing the plastic slide for metal. I appreciate there's the obvious issue of increased cool down during winter etc. 

I was more concerned with fitment issues, now I know this would vary from slide to slide.

However I want to know whether it's a case of just swapping the slide over and your good to go?

Or do other parts require replacing to work alongside the now heavier slide?

If its not a case of 'plug and play' then I think I'll forget the added realism of a metal slide for the sake of better all round performance!

Slide in question is the new Detonator slide for the TM Glock 17 Gen 4

http://impulse101.jp/en/slides/detonator-glock17-gen4-custom-slide-for-tokyo-marui-glock17-gen4-gbb-5084

Really varies from slide to slide. It's likely you'll will need to need to file here and there to enable it to run smoothly. Also you might even have to modify the outer barrel. A lot of the aftermarket manufacturers copied the shape of Marui's design but didn't factor-in that the TM outer barrel flexes a bit as it's plastic, whereas a metal outer barrel won't.

Funnily enough I've just put a metal slide and guarder frame on my G17. It certainly looks and feels much nicer but as you mentioned, it does affect cool weather performance.

For the price of one of those slide and barrel sets I would recommend keeping your TM as it is and buying a second pistol that comes with a metal slide as standard if you really want "realism"

3 minutes ago, heroshark said:

When I had mine it fit perfectly and ran pretty well.

620468_320305814735817_265545474_o.jpg

Detonator...not Detonics...

Although I do love Detonics, I've been waiting forever for a Army R45 to arrive from Asia 😪

Sorry didn't read it all ,although I think it was a detonator slide but not sure now but they can vary in fit with models and slide types. tend to be pretty decent though even if they need a little fettling.

@RMDavis as has been said, deffo not plug and play.

Detonator are one of the best, but unless the slide is super light CNC at the very least you’ll need to replace the recoil and hammer spring.

I’ve built dozens and dozens of pistols, mostly Glocks, and every Glock has either been a pain in the butt, or a massive pain in the butt.

11 hours ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Really varies from slide to slide. It's likely you'll will need to need to file here and there to enable it to run smoothly. Also you might even have to modify the outer barrel. A lot of the aftermarket manufacturers copied the shape of Marui's design but didn't factor-in that the TM outer barrel flexes a bit as it's plastic, whereas a metal outer barrel won't.

Funnily enough I've just put a metal slide and guarder frame on my G17. It certainly looks and feels much nicer but as you mentioned, it does affect cool weather performance.

For the price of one of those slide and barrel sets I would recommend keeping your TM as it is and buying a second pistol that comes with a metal slide as standard if you really want "realism"

10 hours ago, heroshark said:

Sorry didn't read it all ,although I think it was a detonator slide but not sure now but they can vary in fit with models and slide types. tend to be pretty decent though even if they need a little fettling.

2 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

@RMDavis as has been said, deffo not plug and play.

Detonator are one of the best, but unless the slide is super light CNC at the very least you’ll need to replace the recoil and hammer spring.

I’ve built dozens and dozens of pistols, mostly Glocks, and every Glock has either been a pain in the butt, or a massive pain in the butt.

Thanks for the replies chaps. 

For the sake of a little more 'realism' (I appreciate how ironic that is considering these are toys)

I think I'd much rather a reliable skirmishable pistol that just works when needed, and doesn't require extra work and more parts... Plus that £200 can go towards something else! 

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd stop by admit to being a hypocrite. I bought a TM Glock 17 Gen. 4 the other week and marked the slide, so decided to buy one of these Detonator metal ones 😬

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.