Wat Am Bset Gnu? for Real Tho)

Skara

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey boiiiiiis.

Could've made a status update like I usually do, but for no reason I can't get notifications on status updates, so fuck constantly checking my profile.

Anyway, it's been 2 weeks since my birthday has passed and I haven't made myself a present yet (yes I'm that sad), so I was thinking of getting a nice M4. yay what a fucking surprise huh, gotta give me credit for that creativity right?

The aim is to have something that:

• is lightweight - this is pretty important tbf, so polymer body ftw and possibly polymer everything else;
  • is of a decent length - around 10" front end, so it's not a full lenght carbine nor a pistol;
  • comes with robust, no frills internals - no fancy mosfets/ETUs from factory, it's gonna get hard wired for a GATE mosfet (Warfet/NanoHard), QD gearbox with beefy (8mm at least) bushings and has the least amount of proprietary bullshit;
  • is old school looking - no keymod/m-lok bullshit, I have the ARP/HB for those fancy high speed attachments;
  • doesn't cost a fortune - fuck off VFC/KryCrack fanboys, fuck off, go boast your ridiculously overpriced toy guns elsewhere.

Internally it's going to stay stock, with the exception of the mosfet and possibly a set of bearings (at 1J it's not going to pull anything more than a M90) and maybe a flat trigger.

Also a microswitch instead of the regular contacts would be nice to get a short and tactile trigger pull (in that regard, I'm never going to install a Titan or any optical FCU, like ever, nope, not a chance, nopity nop, nada, niente, non, neineineinein). I like the way my Ares and G&G guns feel when it comes to trigger, just a light but definite "click", plus with a mosfet it's not going to bust itself into oblivion, as it is only needed to send the input to the mosfet. (now that I think about it, I could even buy a V3 microswitch and replace the AK one too... fuck me more money down the drain).

So, I'm leaning towards the Specna Arms range, the only problem is:

Which one do I fucking choose?

Had this for my first for garden plinking, plastic throughout

not as long as you wanted but light, front end is all one unit so the outer barrel and imitation D ring will all come off in one

served me well for a few games till I got my ukara, now it's just a backup but still works fine and fires at 320fps

https://www.justbbguns.co.uk/bulldog-m4pi-ris-cqb-airsoft-gun/

ICS Peleador. Does have an MLOK rail though so might not be old school enough for you.

Fire-support are selling a 14in version for £152. 

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/ics-cxppeleador-sportline-airsoft-rifle-aegblack-sale-save-36

Very light and well balanced. Snappy trigger response (has a MOSFET). Bought mine as a loaner but it’s become my main gun.  Much better than a Specna Core or even Edge. No need for internal upgrades really. Upper and lower gearbox means a spring change can be done in about 5 minutes. Also very handy for maintenance of the compression parts. Loads of spares available through Fire-Support too should you break anything.

I’m seriously toying with the idea of buying another. 

Just my 2p.

edit:

Just noticed in another post you mentioned that you had ICS guns before, so you know the score with them. 

I will say that my Peleador does shoot much nicer (sound, trigger response and ROF) than my CXP-15 out the box. I’ve not torn the Peleador down yet to compare the internals between them, so it might be just down to better shimming and the MOSFET. 

Let me throw out a curveball. 

Have you considered a ICS SiG 551 plastic model?

Lightweight. Great performing and ripe for a mosfet. None of that gubbinz you find on modern M4s either. 

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/ics-plastictan-sg-551-swat-airsoft-gun-aeg-sale

Famas am Best0r

/thread

Must've worded it wrong.

Has to be a specna btw.

M4 because I don't want to buy yet another full set of magazines (still have to get more flash mags for the ak).

Thanks but no SRC/ICS.

SRC I just don't trust them and ICS is a hair too expensive for a base gun.

Same path, i ended up on a G36C.

The TM Recoil has a very nice trigger for a mechanical V3

Is very balanced and pointy to drive.

Another great gun (gnu) i dont personally own but have worked on and recomended to many is the G&G MP5, the top tier blow back variant.

18 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Is this for a wwsd project by any chance?

No, for that one I may actually go full ham on custom made carbon fibre parts and hpa.

I have a friend that makes them, along with cnc all the things.

I just want an m4 lol.

Specna C02 or C04?

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Skara said:

No, for that one I may actually go full ham on custom made carbon fibre parts and hpa.

I just want an m4 lol.

fair enough.

if anything i'd suggest the classic plastic m4 forend for light weight, you could go magpul moe if you wanted a more modern look.

5 minutes ago, Skara said:

I just want an m4 lol.

Specna C02 or C04?

Nah I heard, just choosing to ignore :-p. You want a Umarex/S&T ARX160. Lightweight, takes M4 mags, microswitch trigger, easy to take apart and solid tight fitting gearbox. 

Really easy to work on as well. With your budget you could get the blowback one too!

16 hours ago, Skara said:

I just want an m4 lol.

Specna C02 or C04?

I got a C04 as an experiment and it works very well, hops 3.2g nicely, tough plastic body horrible RIS fore end.

Only real issue I’ve encountered is the stock is slightly slower to change a battery in than the Krytac. Get one, it’s too cheap not to have a go with. 

02FC284F-EC7C-45D7-9C14-0D483EF5B15A.jpeg

• Supporters
15 hours ago, Skara said:

So, I'm leaning towards the Specna Arms range

Normally I'd nod along, but they seem to have screwed up their QC recently.

You already have one or more G&Gs so I don't need to tell you that the Raider 2.0E actually ticks most of your boxes (ETU, wired for a MOSFET, 8mm bearings, light, feels good, no real weaknesses, affordable).

What I'm rather suspecting is that you want a Specna that's actually a G&G with a quick-change spring?

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Davegolf said:

He said he didn't want any internal electronic trickery, a mechanical gun if you will.

Hmm, right, I skimmed upwards from the end.

20 hours ago, Skara said:
  • no fancy mosfets/ETUs

... but...

20 hours ago, Skara said:

Also a microswitch instead of the regular contacts would be nice

So I jumped to G&G E models.  My batting average is a bit off, I've clearly got brain fade from lack of airsofting.

We all get IQ reduction daily 🙈

Yeh @Skara a microswitch is nice but only in a CQC environment I find, the hair trigger and no felt reset is pretty ghost.

Cant beat a full mechanical gun with a basic external mosfet for ultimate reliability.

Haha don't worry, the thread itself is a byproduct of the general boredom caused by no airsoft for like 3 months + stupid hot weather.

The microswitch was an extra, I don't mind the standard v2 mechanical trigger really. Just nothing optical as the only time I tried a Titan it annoyed the fuck out of me, the gun firing without any feedback from the trigger really put me off.

I wonder if it's worth rewiring the gun to the front, I get much more space for the battery and mosfet, but it'll make the gun more tedious to take down in return...

Also haven't decided yet, I have the Specna C02 in the cart at the moment.. Also I reckon I can convert it easily to a Mk18 Mod. 0 with a simple handguard swap.

For those who suggested modern looking guns (so floating rails and generally high speed looks), I'm sorry to have wasted your time, but I'm looking for something more old school, let's say I want to go "back to basics".

• Supporters
42 minutes ago, Skara said:

The microswitch was an extra, I don't mind the standard v2 mechanical trigger really.

Shoot a V3 MP5K for a bit, then a V2 trigger feels like a microswitch. ;)

Just nothing optical as the only time I tried a Titan it annoyed the fuck out of me, the gun firing without any feedback from the trigger really put me off.

That does sound weird, to be only pulling against the spring with no physical trigger contacts.

• Supporters
55 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Shoot a V3 MP5K for a bit, then a V2 trigger feels like a microswitch

Every bullpup ever made wants to have a word.....

5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Shoot a V3 MP5K for a bit, then a V2 trigger feels like a microswitch. ;)

That does sound weird, to be only pulling against the spring with no physical trigger contacts.

It is weird, that's what I was relating to above saying I'd only like them for CQC.

• Supporters
19 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Having three guns with optical sensed triggers the weirdest part is not having a physical lock on the trigger for safe. You soon get used to the trigger feel though. Unless you're sat in a bush dressed like a Wookie, if you have time to think "hmm...this trigger feels a bit odd" chances are you ought to be moving a bit more.

• Supporters
55 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Having three guns with optical sensed triggers the weirdest part is not having a physical lock on the trigger for safe.

I've just had to bin off the trigger lock on my M4 after replacing the fire selector (was broke, did need fixed) because, you know, "V2" is more of an aspiration than a specification.  It does feel rather ropey, but then again...

🅱️ 25+ Best Memes About This Is My Safety | This Is My Safety Memes

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys.

Made my decision and bought a Specna C02 in half tan as they like to call it.

Could've gone for a G&G Raider CQB but meh, doesn't have a QC box and still has the old style hop chamber with gears. Not really an issue but when considering that it is more expensive than the specna (€150 against 120), plus I would have spent more for a new chamber (ye €9 but price is almost irrelevant, it's the principle), the choice was rather easy ;)

Cheers to all for your input :)

Now let the poor man's AEG build begin.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.