Painting My Airsoft Gun

New-guy23

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I just bought a airsoft gun it hasn't arrived yet, but its in two-toned blue, is it legal to paint over it as long as I keep it not real looking example:(white and black fade with red hexagons) or do I have to keep the blue and black? 

P.S (I don't have a Ukara Membership or have any experience playing airsoft) also if I use it for a decorative purpose and its not 51% of it is not a bright unreal colour could I keep it because no one would be around to see it? 

Edited by New-guy23
I needed to change the message because I forgot to mention that I wouldn't be taking it out in public and I bought it for more of a decoration, p.s I've never bought any kind of bb or airsoft gun before

47 minutes ago, New-guy23 said:

I just bought a airsoft gun it hasn't arrived yet, but its in two-toned blue, is it legal to paint over it as long as I keep it not real looking example:(white and black fade with red hexagons) or do I have to keep the blue and black? 

P.S (I don't have a Ukara Membership) 

To keep it’s IF status it needs to have more than half of it as clear or a designated VCRA colour:

• transparent
  • bright red
  • bright orange
  • bright blue
  • bright yellow
  • bright green
  • bright pink
  • bright purple

White and black are not designated colours.  Your ‘red hexigans’ might qualify if they are both bright and cover over 50% of the gun.

When the VCRA was still a bill there was an explcit offence of painting (modifying an IF into a RIF) whether there would have been a defence or not.

The wording that passed into law potentially covers painting / modifying with a defence.

You might be able to legitimately repaint once you have established a defence

Your not a 12 year old from Camden are you? :D  

13 hours ago, New-guy23 said:

P.S (I don't have a Ukara Membership or have any experience playing airsoft) also if I use it for a decorative purpose and its not 51% of it is not a bright unreal colour could I keep it because no one would be around to see it? 

As said it still needs to be two toned, over 51% painted a certain colour, so clever use of hexagons would qualify.

Decorative or not, if you convert an IF to a RIF (imitation firearm to a Realistic imitation firearm) then you are committing an offence but as you say no one would be able to see it or know you have it. But no one on this forum would tell you to go ahead and commit an offence especially when kids playing with two toned guns in the streets or even their house has caused big issues and scares and could be damaging to our hobby.

Out of interest what gun is it? I personally dont see why people would want imitation guns hanging up in their house but thats just me.

26 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

Your not a 12 year old from Camden are you? :D  

As said it still needs to be two toned, over 51% painted a certain colour, so clever use of hexagons would qualify.

Decorative or not, if you convert an IF to a RIF (imitation firearm to a Realistic imitation firearm) then you are committing an offence but as you say no one would be able to see it or know you have it. But no one on this forum would tell you to go ahead and commit an offence especially when kids playing with two toned guns in the streets or even their house has caused big issues and scares and could be damaging to our hobby.

Out of interest what gun is it? I personally dont see why people would want imitation guns hanging up in their house but thats just me.

Thanks I just wanted to know that I could keep the fade design as long as I have the bright red hexagons covering 51% of the gun, and it's a g15 glock style pistol. 

7 minutes ago, New-guy23 said:

Thanks I just wanted to know that I could keep the fade design as long as I have the bright red hexagons covering 51% of the gun, and it's a g15 glock style pistol. 

No idea why you would want a black/red two toned glock as a display piece but each to their own 

1 hour ago, New-guy23 said:

it's a g15 glock style pistol. 

There isn't a Glock 15 in the "real steel" world.

Is it one of these by any chance?

https://www.bespokeairsoft.co.uk/galaxy-g15-17-series-full-metal-spring-pistol-g15-blue

• Mostly Retired Moderators

On a different tangent.. wtf happened to Bespoke Airsoft.

They started out with so much promise, and even with their custom striker parts, they looked like they were going places...

Now they're just another "JustBBGuns" style site. Another iWholesales box shifter.

Gutting to see, really.

13 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

is it bad i almost wanna buy one just as a troll gun?

Not if you make a super-serious unboxing video. I want it so detailed that one could skip 43 minutes and you'd still be going through the instruction manual.

54 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

is it bad i almost wanna buy one just as a troll gun?

No, no, no

Just NO!!

Its a display piece ffs!!

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Not if you make a super-serious unboxing video. I want it so detailed that one could skip 43 minutes and you'd still be going through the instruction manual.

i may not be lacking in the gift of the extended waffle, but i think stretching out how ambidextrous the 3 controls on a glock are to an hour is beyond my talents :P

1 hour ago, Albiscuit said:

Its a display piece ffs!!

i don't do display peices, i'd be fielding that for sure.....

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Is the fps 250 or 151-200?

Depends if you're shooting in semi-automatic springer, or fully semi-automatic springer.

2 hours ago, L3wisD said:

On a different tangent.. wtf happened to Bespoke Airsoft.

They saw where the money was to be made, flogging to teens.

1 hour ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

"Hello airsoft world!  Why to buy it?" ;)

5 minutes ago, New-guy23 said:

Yes

Well, then you're unlikely to have a defence for modifying it into a RIF.

But, genuinely, well done for asking.  A lot of folk wouldn't bother, which means you're hopefully going to be sensible with it.

And being sensible, it's only an issue if someone sees it.  If you're keeping it in private ownership, then the reality is that nobody is going to question how you got it or how it became the colour it became.

However, please do be aware that if someone so much as sees it through a window, two toned or otherwise, you might get to see some real guns close up.

Note that our consensus is that the "IF" in that incident didn't actually meet the VCRA definition: under 50%, and not bright blue.  But the police weren't that fussed once they found it out was a BB gun.

Just don't give them any cause to take a look and you should be fine rather than fined.

8 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

But, genuinely, well done for asking.  A lot of folk wouldn't bother, which means you're hopefully going to be sensible with it.

And being sensible, it's only an issue if someone sees it.  If you're keeping it in private ownership, then the reality is that nobody is going to question how you got it or how it became the colour it became.

Thanks just wanted to know if I could keep it in a non Vrca colour as long as no one else sees it

• Supporters
1 hour ago, New-guy23 said:

Thanks just wanted to know if I could keep it in a non Vrca colour as long as no one else sees it

Well, not legally, no.  You commit an offence at the point where you modify it to be a RIF, and you won't have a defence.

As noted above though, some of these arguably aren't IFs to begin with, so there's no change of category.

And ongoing ownership isn't an offence, only the act of modification.

15 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Well, not legally, no.  You commit an offence at the point where you modify it to be a RIF, and you won't have a defence.

As noted above though, some of these arguably aren't IFs to begin with, so there's no change of category.

And ongoing ownership isn't an offence, only the act of modification.

Yes but I wanted to know if I could, but I'm still going to have 51%of it in a bright colour not necessarily saying I was going to make it black, gold, tan etc

I wish people would read

Between

only the ACT of modification is the illegal part

the 

if no one knows you have it, or wont see it then did the offence occur? Arguably yes, but who would know?

Lines

But we need to stick to the legality and proper advise on here.

• Supporters

Basically all any of these folk want is to be told that it's OK.  It gets tiresome repeating that it's an offence, that they (usually) don't have a defence, but that the reality is...

And the thing is, they're going to go ahead and do it anyway.

Your right, WE all know its silly and at the end of the day no one is going to know or care, so just go ahead and be sensible about it.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.