Met Police Don't Seem to Know What a Two Tone Is.

John_W

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
29 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I'm a biker and I say they should run them off the road, then bill their families for the damage to the cop car, then prosecute them for aiding an offender.  "Dunno how he got it, just kids larking about, innit" shouldn't be an excuse.

Me too, & last time I rode up to London on it I dumped my kit in my dad's & walked to the corner shop 2 mins away, as I walked back I turn the corner only to see 4 "lads" (bless 'em😏) on 2 Peds trying to get my chains off, I'd been there less than 20 mins FFS.

Time before that 2 massive west Indians tried (unsuccessfully) to intimidate me in to handing over cash as I walked out of a Chinese with dinner for dad & I, on that occasion I'd been in town about 90 mins.

Thing is I'm 6.2 & 17+ stone, & look like a bulldog chewing a wasp lol,  so not a "typical" target or soft touch, yet it got to the point where I'd often be tooled up, such is the level of crime round there (Islington/hackney).

24 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Me too, & last time I rode up to London on it I dumped my kit in my dad's & walked to the corner shop 2 mins away, as I walked back I turn the corner only to see 4 "lads" (bless 'em😏) on 2 Peds trying to get my chains off, I'd been there less than 20 mins FFS.

Time before that 2 massive west Indians tried (unsuccessfully) to intimidate me in to handing over cash as I walked out of a Chinese with dinner for dad & I, on that occasion I'd been in town about 90 mins.

Thing is I'm 6.2 & 17+ stone, & look like a bulldog chewing a wasp lol,  so not a "typical" target or soft touch, yet it got to the point where I'd often be tooled up, such is the level of crime round there (Islington/hackney).

I live a stones throw away from "Hackney" (which whilst it has its areas of deprivation, is a pretty "hipster"/ trendy/ posh area) I'm one inch shorter and a few stone lighter then you (not for me to say if im lighter in a good way or a bad way)  edit: yes i can thats proper obese lmao

. I've never had an issue at all, maybe you just look like more of a target then you think you do? 

Also carrying a "tool" around is just absolutely mental behaviour and is exactly the sort of thing that may get you in fatal trouble with the police or someone else. I saw someone try to steal my bike and we kinda scared him off. but not for a second did i think about arming myself nor did i want to physically hurt him. I didn't want my bike knicked either but guess what - i just don't care enough about a bicycle to (try to) hurt someone. 

This entire thread is totally, utterly nuts. 

17 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Damn, a good stop-and-search candidate then. Carrying a knife for self defense is explicitly not OK, and that sort of mentality is what's fuelling knife crime in London right now.

E: Sorry if that came across as blunt, but you should really really consider not going "tooled up" in London ever again for soooo many reasons. If you get attacked and defend yourself with that knife, killing someone, you are getting prosecuted for murder regardless of the legitimate threat on your life. If you have to use it, you're probably going to get stabbed yourself. Knife fight losers die in the street, winners die in the ambulance.

• Supporters

Who mentioned a knife ? , not me, in much the same way I never mentioned a bicycle, let's not make assumptions now chaps 😏

41 minutes ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

I live a stones throw away from "Hackney" (which whilst it has its areas of deprivation, is a pretty "hipster"/ trendy/ posh area) I'm one inch shorter and a few stone lighter then you (not for me to say if im lighter in a good way or a bad way)  edit: yes i can thats proper obese lmao

. I've never had an issue at all, maybe you just look like more of a target then you think you do? 

Also carrying a "tool" around is just absolutely mental behaviour and is exactly the sort of thing that may get you in fatal trouble with the police or someone else. I saw someone try to steal my bike and we kinda scared him off. but not for a second did i think about arming myself nor did i want to physically hurt him. I didn't want my bike knicked either but guess what - i just don't care enough about a bicycle to (try to) hurt someone. 

This entire thread is totally, utterly nuts. 

37 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Damn, a good stop-and-search candidate then. Carrying a knife for self defense is explicitly not OK, and that sort of mentality is what's fuelling knife crime in London right now.

E: Sorry if that came across as blunt, but you should really really consider not going "tooled up" in London ever again for soooo many reasons. If you get attacked and defend yourself with that knife, killing someone, you are getting prosecuted for murder regardless of the legitimate threat on your life. If you have to use it, you're probably going to get stabbed yourself. Knife fight losers die in the street, winners die in the ambulance.

No, what's fueling knife crime in London, & most other cities, are thieving low life scrotes who aren't prepared to work for something, they'd rather take somebody else's hard earned, & fuck the consequences/victims.

1 minute ago, Tackle said:

Who mentioned a knife ? , not me, in much the same way I never mentioned a bicycle, let's not make assumptions now chaps 😏

I'm struggling to see what point you are trying to make other then you are obese and get mugged every time you step foot in london? 

• Supporters
1 minute ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

I'm struggling to see what point you are trying to make other then you are obese and get mugged every time you step foot in london? 

Fuck you, you cheeky cnut, come up to me on a gameday & tell me I'm obese, see how that works out for you ?

& no, I wasn't mugged, as I explained, on both occasions they were unsuccessful, merely because i refuse to be a victim & do nothing, I leave that to liberal hipsters etc.

the point I was making was that crime is rife & anybody can be a target, I'm not a country bumpkin, I grew up there but chose to move to greener pastures for my family.

18 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Fuck you, you cheeky cnut, come up to me on a gameday & tell me I'm obese, see how that works out for you ?

& no, I wasn't mugged, as I explained, on both occasions they were unsuccessful, merely because i refuse to be a victim & do nothing, I leave that to liberal hipsters etc.

the point I was making was that crime is rife & anybody can be a target, I'm not a country bumpkin, I grew up there but chose to move to greener pastures for my family.

I have absolutely no interest getting into (presumably?) violent confrontations whether its about my bike getting knicked or because i've upset someone with a comment about their weight! Life is too short for this bullshit, i sincerely suggest you enjoy the greener pastures. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

I have absolutely no interest getting into (presumably?) violent confrontations whether its about my bike getting knicked or because i've upset someone with a comment about their weight! Life is too short for this bullshit, i sincerely suggest you enjoy the greener pastures. 

I'm sure you don't, I'm not particularly looking for a scrap but if you rattle my chain I will bite, so maybe in future you should consider how you word your posts, yours was neither funny or correct.

I'm all for a bit of banter but we are discussing crime, it's prevalence & the lawful (& sometimes unlawful) response it solicits.

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I'm a biker and I say they should run them off the road, then bill their families for the damage to the cop car, then prosecute them for aiding an offender.  "Dunno how he got it, just kids larking about, innit" shouldn't be an excuse.

Being a biker myself I can't help but echo this statement.

I think we can all agree that there are numerous parts of the UK where crime is an increasing issue which has been fuelled, in no small part, by police cuts.

One of the follow ups I've seen reported about this particular incident is from an official, flatly stating the situation is being blown out of proportion and made significantly worse by the mother's attempts at claiming that this was all racially motivated. Sadly this is yet another case where the victim card will be played to its fullest in the hope of a hand out. Dread the thought of someone actually accepting responsibility.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

If you get attacked and defend yourself with that knife, killing someone, you are getting prosecuted for murder regardless of the legitimate threat on your life

If an armed police officer is attacked and kills the attacker, are they prosecuted for murder regardless of the threat to their (or other people's lives)?  The specific intent of a firearm is to take lives.

Police have no particular powers or protections for taking a life, any more than any other citizen does under the same circumstances.  They just happen to be allowed to go well equipped to do so.  In a case of self defence (or defence of another), the legality of the tool being carried may be an aggravating factor, but it doesn't show pre-meditated intent to kill that person.

I agree that law abiding citizens shouldn't have to go armed, but we live in the world that is, not the world that should be.  As this thread reminds us, we live in a world where 12 years olds are habitually used as mules for drugs, cash and weapons.

On George's point, good job on not being mugged yet, I guess.  Please let us know when that changes, and we can mock you for looking like a soft pansy, as apparently that's constructive and helpful.

4 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

If an armed police officer is attacked and kills the attacker, are they prosecuted for murder regardless of the threat to their (or other people's lives)?  The specific intent of a firearm is to take lives.

Police have no particular powers or protections for taking a life, any more than any other citizen does under the same circumstances.  They just happen to be allowed to go well equipped to do so.  In a case of self defence (or defence of another), the legality of the tool being carried may be an aggravating factor, but it doesn't show pre-meditated intent to kill that person.

For anyone not lucky enough to be sanctioned by the home office to carry a section 5 firearm, "the legality of the tool being carried may be an aggravating factor, but it doesn't show pre-meditated intent to kill that person." is not exactly correct. Guns and knives are considered offensive, never defensive. Right to carry for self defense is not accepted by the courts. People that do defend themselves with a weapon, and escape charges, are usually able to prove that they grabbed the first thing they could during an attack - like that pensioner who stabbed a traveller with his kitchen knife a few years ago when the bloke burst through his front door. Farmer Tony Martin on the other hand was absolutely rightly prosecuted for murder for killing a burglar, because he was prepped to use the weapon rather than running to the safe, unlocking it, loading the gun etc (And he shot the chap running away, I think).

Considering the hypothetical - Tackle's carrying a knife, Tackle gets approached and attacked, Tackle draws the knife and stabs someone. Immediately, this situation is a homicide and the police need to figure out what actually happened. The police turn up, begin questioning him and what happens next is entirely down to what Tackle says, and what the police are able to get out of him on the street and in an interview. The police are going to ask him why he has a knife, he will not be able to give an acceptable answer - that he's going to or from work where he uses the knife regularly, that he's on a scouting trip and needs to urgently whittle, etc. - the only answer left to him is either "I forgot I had it" or "I'm scared of people from London", and I don't think either answer would be acceptable and would get him into very hot water indeed. Perhaps not a murder charge, but certainly one for carrying an offensive weapon. And even then, we all know how mad CPS can be sometimes - he might even catch the murder charge depending on what's said and so on.

4 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Farmer Tony Martin on the other hand was absolutely rightly prosecuted for murder for killing a burglar, because he was prepped to use the weapon rather than running to the safe, unlocking it, loading the gun etc (And he shot the chap running away, I think).

With an illegal pump action shotgun, also having previously had his shotgun licence revoked for shooting someone for scrumping.

It didn’t help that he had been mouthing off in the pub that he would shoot burglars.

The burglars were not innocent victims, but that doesn’t make shooting them ok

3 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

With an illegal pump action shotgun, also having previously had his shotgun licence revoked for shooting someone for scrumping.

It didn’t help that he had been mouthing off in the pub that he would shoot burglars.

The burglars were not innocent victims, but that doesn’t make shooting them ok

Yeah totally. My point in mentioning that is that I reckon Tackle would be in big trouble for similar reasons. Self defense with an offensive weapon is all about "I absolutely had to use the thing I had next to me to defend myself or others" and not "I thought I might get attacked, so I brought this knife in with me".

This could be all bollocks considering Tackle didn't actually say he carried a knife, just that he was "tooled up" - but the same applies.

• Supporters
16 hours ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Right to carry for self defense is not accepted by the courts.

I didn't say or mean to imply that it would be.  Possession of an offensive weapon is a separate charge. The question is whether you would inevitably be charged with murder if you defended yourself with a knife that you were carrying.

Hypotheticals aside, which cases informed your belief that would be the case?  I'm always keen to learn.

• Supporters

For those arguing about self defence etc.

Please see the legislation regarding your (public) use of Force Powers:

Use of Force under Common Law:

You have the right, to use reasonable force as necessary to protect yourself, others or property from an attack, and in doing so may use a preemptive strike. Also to prevent a breach of peace

The force used must be reasonable, a person must prove that the force used was reasonable.

So an example would be, you're minding your own business along the streets, some person accosts and squares up to you looking for a punch up (the usual, raised fists, gritted teeth, eyes like a wild animal), says hes gonna knock your lights out. Now understandably you dont really want to be hit, so you punch him first, he goes down for the count and you walk away. FINE, the force was reasonable, you believed that you were about to be assaulted and so used a premptive strike to knock him down and only once punch (or as many to stop you from being assaulted).

Now same story, but this time after your would be assailant falls to the floor and yields or no longer is a threat, you then proceed in anger to stamp on his head, that may be a bit too far. 

Use of Force under S3 Criminal Law Act

A person may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances in the prevention of crime, or in effecting or assisting in the lawful arrest of offenders or suspected offenders or of persons unlawfully at large.

For the above, think security guards and shoplifters. Shoplifter shoplifts, security guard believes a crime is in effect being committed, he goes to detain the shoplifter, they get violent and security guard grapples with them. As far as i see it, reasonable use of force to lawfully detain someone.

Bare in mind, even if you think you had every right to use the above legislation during an incident, you may still be arrested. Arrested does not equal charged and accused, its part of the investigative procedure, consider that one of the often reasons for arrest is a "Prompt and Effective Investigation" by way of a Recorded Interview. That last part is important as interviews are often done in accordance to PACE Act 1984. Also See "IDCOPPLAN" and Section 24 PACE 1984.

Case in point was Richard Osborn-Brooks, an elderly man who stabbed a Burglar in his home and killed him. It was quite high profile. Essentially a male called Henry Vincent burgled Osborn-Brooks' home, threatening him and his elderly wife with a screw driver, one of the burglars ran when he inadvertently picked up a knife to defend himself with. The other (Vincent) decided to run at him and ended up stabbed, dying a few hundred metres from the burglary.

Now a man is dead and Mr Osborn-Brooks has the bloodied knife, he was arrested, yes, but never accused by officers (in fact i wouldn't be surprised if he got the star treatment at the station). He was interviewed by officers in order to get his, unabridged, untainted and exact circumstances, in fact if anything the arrest and interview was to protect him too.

Oh and just for the hive mind there is one more Use of Force power that no public can use, only those that hold the "office of constable" or have powers granted to them by PACE such as immigration officers, water bailiffs etc.

That is Section 117 PACE Act 1984.

It allows the above mentioned people to use force when exercising anyone of their legal powers granted to them (often under PACE). So when an officer arrests someone and use force (such as applying cuffs) its under S117 PACE. And officer can turn up, cuff someone under Common Law, then arrest them and it auto converts to S117. 

Officers also follow the Human Right act and the National Decision Model (all boring legislative stuff).

5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I didn't say or mean to imply that it would be.  Possession of an offensive weapon is a separate charge. The question is whether you would inevitable be charged with murder if you defended yourself with a knife that you were carrying.

Hypotheticals aside, which cases informed your belief that would be the case?  I'm always keen to learn.

Yeah, I think it's accurate to say that murder was an overstep by me. Thankfully this isn't litigation and I don't put too much thought into wording :) What I meant to say though - and still stands - is that carrying an offensive weapon will lead to absolutely no good, and I strongly believe Tackle would catch a lot of shit if he had to defend himself.

14 minutes ago, Shizbazki said:

For those arguing about self defence etc.

I'm not talking about self defense, I'm talking about carrying an offensive weapon for self defense, which is not allowed. I even mentioned the same chap (Richard Osborn-Brooks).

My point wasn't that Tackle can't defend himself. My point is that Tackle cannot carry a knife on his person for self defense. Tackle can use that knife, but the act of carrying it, imo, is enough for a significant legal headache. Plus it's really bloody stupid.

E: Anyway I can hear all the lurkers rolling their eyes at this very tired discussion haha (and fair play) so I'll say no more, the thread's probably run it's course.

• Supporters

FFS, stop using my "name" & the word knife in the same sentence, you chuck enough shit, some of it sticks, even hypothetical shit.

heres a hypothetical scenario:

young lad of 15, looks lot older, lives on an estate on one side of a London borough, the estate has a resident gang but he's not a gang member, nor a criminal & has never even given the police a reason to even glance at him, essentially he's a good kid, he even does some paid work when he can.

he starts dating a girl a few years older than himself, & on a Saturday evening decides to take her for a nice meal, but to get to the restaurant he has no option but to pass through another part of the borough, & this has its own particularly nasty resident gang, but he thinks it shouldn't be an issue, after all he's just a regular kid.

but sure enough, while walking with his girl he gets confronted & challenged by at least 8 members of gang from the other estate, who abuse him & his gf.

he tells them to piss off & that he's not looking for trouble, & the couple continue on their way, as they're now less than 10 minutes walk from the restaurant.

but a few minutes later the lad looks over his shoulder only to see the gang running after them, having armed themselves with whatever they could find, various bottles, sticks, & worryingly one of them has a short section of scaffolding pole, sure to cause some damage.

the couple are now literally on top of the main underground station in the borough, & its Saturday evening so the place is heaving with people on their way to the areas nightlife, while his gf is panicking he reassures her that nothing will happen with so many witnesses around ?, but to be prepared to run if it comes to it.

anyway, the gang aren't giving up, so when the lad can literally hear their footsteps he tells her to run, & turns to face the gang, pulling an extending baton from his pocket which he flicks open & with a bloodcurdling yell runs at the gang, lashing out wildly.

in just a few seconds 3 of the gang members are on the floor, & the remaining number have turned & fled, having not expected this aggressive counter attack.

the lad taps his baton on the floor, turns & quickly walks away, past dozens of shocked eyewitnesses & soon joins his crying gf in the restaurant.

so, undoubtedly he was breaking the law by carrying a weapon, but had he not been armed in some way the outcome would probably have been very different, the sheer numbers, plus weapons & the feral pack attitude could have likely ended in the lads death ?.

My question is, had this been reported to the police, should the lad have been arrested for the carrying of an offensive weapon, a further charge for using it in the "assault" of the 3 gang members that were struck, but didn't suffer any lasting injuries, & also as they actually hadn't been able to strike him, were they technically not guilty of anything ?, as they hadn't actually touched him ?, their only crime being threatening talk & a bit of posturing lol.

or was, in this case, the offense of carrying a weapon mitigated by the fact it was used in a very clear case of pre-emptive self defense ?

obviously it's all hypothetical 🤔

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Shizbazki said:

Bare in mind, even if you think you had every right to use the above legislation during an incident, you may still be arrested. Arrested does not equal charged and accused, its part of the investigative procedure, consider that one of the often reasons for arrest is a "Prompt and Effective Investigation" by way of a Recorded Interview. That last part is important as interviews are often done in accordance to PACE Act 1984. Also See "IDCOPPLAN" and Section 24 PACE 1984.

You may arrest, but you can also choose to interview under caution (PACE Code E and CJPO Section 34 apply to interviews under caution), and arrest only if the suspect is uncooperative.

One difference (which you may or may not think is significant) is that US travel visas ask about arrests, not just convictions.  I'd also have to disclose it in security vetting to UK and Septic agencies.

Which is why I'm glad to see that Kai in this case was explicitly de-arrested, something that I don't believe happened to...

Case in point was Richard Osborn-Brooks, an elderly man who stabbed a Burglar in his home and killed him.

I vehemently disagree with the decision to arrest in that case as well.  It seems that the chap was fully cooperating and volunteering information: there was no actual need to arrest him.

And I don't buy the argument that arrest protects the suspect. Caution, and emphasise their rights, which are by and large the same as if they're arrested, including access to a solicitor.

I mean no disrespect here, police have a tough enough job as it is.  However, I personally would be more inclined to cooperate if a lighter hand were used, and that cooperation would cease the instant an arrest were made - I'll take my chances with adverse inferences.

10 hours ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

[Stuff that I generally agree with]

E: Anyway I can hear all the lurkers rolling their eyes at this very tired discussion haha (and fair play) so I'll say no more, the thread's probably run it's course.

Are you new to the internet? ;)

@Asomodai - I completely agree with you. It wasn't my intention to ignore other factors which have had a significant contribution.

Just to go back to the original topic, while there's little more to be said or done about this particular incident, I think it's safe to say that this is a prime example of why it is so important to try make people aware of all the ins and outs of the hobby. It is unfortunate that we will no doubt see similar incidents to this one as it is most definitely nothing new.

35 minutes ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

@Asomodai - I completely agree with you. It wasn't my intention to ignore other factors which have had a significant contribution.

Just wanted to expand on it a little! Ultimately being poor is the most obvious route to crime. Unfortunately its obvious that having so many people in poverty is a political choice. Sadly we have had nearly 40 years of "business friendly" governments.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Asomodai said:

Ultimately being poor is the most obvious route to crime.

In conjunction with a culture that assures you that you deserve to be rich, irrespective of your ability or application.

Productivity is the tide that raises all boats. Fully-automated-luxury-communism, we'll get it right next time, comrades.

Threadjacking | Know Your Meme

5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

In conjunction with a culture that assures you that you deserve to be rich, irrespective of your ability or application.

I am not going to be baited down that rabbit path! I have plenty to say, but this is not the place to say it.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.