Pyrotechnics

2RIR

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Alright everyone how's the craic, could any of you tell me your veiws on grenades, is it better just to get the gas grenades like the eraz or just buy the pyros like the Enola Gaye. At  £5 a touch it can run up a hefty bill thanks for your time. 

• Supporters

Get an old style Dynatec, very simple technology (ie feck all to go wrong), cover it in bright paint/tape, & then marvel at how cheap it is to run on small calibre blanks 😁.

Forget BB propelling grenades, none of them are any good.

Also the fizz and long time on disposable pyro often end in a disappointing death toll in many situations. Although impact bfgs are popular and great when you want an instant bang the timed are more versatile ime. Fizzy pyro excels if you are going for a longer throw though as over arming hard bangs is a big no no.

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Get an old style Dynatec [sic]

/thread.  Just go Dynatex for timed.  For impact I'd normally say TRMR, but it looks like they really are out of production and stock now.  :(  There are other brands of impact grenades including some that take 3 or even 7 blanks, but they tend to be single-batch manufacturing - only buy from stock, never on a promise.  And in particular don't give your money to the rogues at SWAT as you'll be looking at months before you see what you've paid for. 

For example (other retailers are available!)

https://www.defconairsoft.co.uk/product/dynatex-timed-delay-grenade-bfg/

https://www.defconairsoft.co.uk/product/dynatex-dominator-impact-grenade-bfg-100-blanks/

Gas BB-shower grenades are a bit feeble, I've seen them go off at players' feet (self included) and they haven't even noticed either the sound or the gentle patter of BBs (if any even hit them).  If you need to shout "BANG, YOU'RE DEAD!" you might as well be throwing dummies.

The gas grenades that make a bang by popping a plastic window are also erratic, I've heard them go off fairly loudly, but also make just a sad little "pop".

Some grenades can take either .209 primers or bigger 9mm.  9mm is much louder, but 0.209 is much cheaper.  .209 primers make a satisfying bang indoors.  In noisy woodland they can be missed, but 9mm blanks cost so much more that I'd rather fling .209 and shout "BANG!" (nobody can accuse me of being consistent ;) )

Disposable, no thanks. As shark says, the number of times I've seen folk just take cover, or even kick them back (I know, don't kick them back) makes them very poor value for money.  I actually make a point of standing still and taking the kill just so that the player that threw it gets their money's worth. But when you add up how much they cost, you quickly get into the region of buying a Dynatex.  The big difference is that with a blank-firing grenade you're paying pennies per bang, and you have an asset to sell.

• Supporters

from what i've experienced/heard of pretty much all the gas powered grenades have pretty major problems with reliability/efficacy. the best design (although no cheaper than disposable) imo was the thunder b, which that one time it works as advertised makes one hell of a bang, the key part being "that one time" it actually detonates and doesn't fail to prime, leak gas, take bloody ages to go off or pop midair.

the only thing i'd say for bfg's is the same for all re-usable pyro- you gotta remember to pick that shit up again, which means it can be lost or more importantly pinched.

so my preference would be on disposables, throw and forget.

Cheers for the feedback, we are heading out this Sunday to predator airsoft, they sell pyrotechnics, so see what they have, I was gonna buy the eraz but hearing your experience on them for £40 I just might give it a miss, the only thing is some cqb sites will only let you use the gas grenades so stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

I believe the Strataim NOVA EPSILON BB gas grenade has had some decent reviews, though Neve used or seen one used and also a bit more pricey

• Supporters

The E-RAZ might be OK, and I know my local CQB site is getting a bit wary of BFGs because of the weight and potential for injury.

The thing I'd point out about the E-RAZ and all other BB-spewing ones that I've seen is that it does fling them in a circle, but a circle is not a sphere.  If it lands sideways, then it'll produce a narrow vertical fan of BBs, which gets you back to shouting "BANG, YOU'RE DEAD" again.

Run this at 0.25 speed and it's pretty obvious.

14 minutes ago, 2RIR said:

Do you need a license of some sort to buy the primers for the bfgs

No, as it appears that shotgun shell aren't counted as "metallic ammunition for a firearm" as per https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/35

In practice airsoft supplier and some sites are happy to sell primers, it's not been a problem for me.

The very lost cost per bang means that you can frag first and then think later.  Heck, I'll cheerfully frag myself and my team-mates given half a chance. :D

I run a trmr and a vtg, both have been great and 100 blanks goes a long way.

I do use pyro too as some of the sites I pkay at have strict rules regards use of the heavier weight blank firing units.

For example flicking the pyro through a first floor window, which isn't allowed with bfg units.

It's the finding the tools for each job and I tend to run three fizzies, trmr and the vtg and that will do the day.

My limited experience of the bb launch type units isnt great and the best I've seen from them isn't worth the cost and admittedly there might be better ones but I won't be picking any up based on what I've seen.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.