Struggling to Beat My Anxiety and Go.

Sambo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

People are quite friendly (I'm located near Shrewsbury and pretty much everyone attending my field is very welcoming) overall and there will always be one who will take you under their wing. People are a bunch of goofs  anyway - we're ADULTS who run around with TOY GUNS and PLAY WAR after all.

Alternativelly grab a buddy with you who also never played airsoft but is interested enough to try, even if he will never play with you again - you can rent equipment on site after all and you can split your combined anxieties in half :P I've dragged colleague from work  to give it a try and now there's 5 of us (mostly his buddies) - also I ruined his finances as he's even worse than me when it comes to impulse purchases - played 3 matches and in that span bought 2 rifles, 2 pistols, a springer shotgun and bolt action O.O

If an outsider (I'm a foreigner) like me with social anxiety can have fun with strangers, so can you. Now stop whining and go get them tiger!

You will also have to get your gun chrono'd to check it is within site limits . That normally happens before the safety brief .

All straight forward, line up, when its your turn fire 2 or 3 shots through the chrono either using the supplied .20 BBs or tell them the weight you are using. They check the power output and you are good to go.

27 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

@Sambo - I used to suffer with this loads in my youth, so I feel for you.

I won't cover what the others have. It's already good advice

What I will say is: Remember that you will have paid exactly the same money as everyone else that day, to turn up and shoot BBs at people.

Do not let them intimidate you, try to boss you around (You get the fat old guys barking orders sometimes, just ignore them), or try and single you out for having a Two-tone gun.

Everyone is equal once you've paid your fees for the day. 

One thing that used to make my anxiety bad when I was younger was not knowing what will happen Not knowing how each part of the day will pan out, if I'd never experienced it before (Part of the reason I fucking hate surprises - my missus hates it :D)

Hopefully, if I write out what to expect, it might put your mind at rest. So let's give it a go - going to be a bit of a long read I'm afraid.

• Arrive on site and get your stuff out the boot

• Walk into the safezone and find a table/bench/area to set up for the day (try and pick something under cover in case it pisses down)
    (This is where I like to try and eyeball where the toilets are so you can find them confidently later, as if you've been here hundreds of times before)
  • Dump all your stuff on said table

• Look out for the main desk/booth where you sign in and pay and walk over.

• "Is this where I pay?"  / "Yes Mate, just sign in here" - and you sign your name, signature, and some sites even Registration of your car if necessary. 

• When you're signing in/paying, maybe mention to the guy/girl at the desk that it's your first time ever, and that you might need some pointers etc. If it's a good site, they'll keep an eye out for you.

• Go back to your table and open your case (Remember: Do not ever put magazines in your guns in the safezone). And start filling your magazines with BBs, wind them up in advance if they're hi-caps.

• Get ready as though you're about to go out into the game

• Unfortunately, this is the boring bit, if you get there early enough to get a good table, you're in for a wait of about 45-60 minutes until game time

• Go to the sign-in desk and buy a drink / make a coffee. Try to relax and take your mind off the anxiety, maybe strike up conversation with the guy next to you, explain it's your first game ever and he'll probably ask how you got on after each game

• Then eventually it's the safety brief.
    The head marshal will ask everyone to gather round and they'll give a 10 minute (ish) speech on the safety rules for that particular site, dos and don'ts basically. Some sites will detail about what grenades they allow all that - to be honest the safety brief is pretty boring, but it's mandatory and you've got to stand through it whether it's your first time or your 100th.
    Just keep looking the dude in the eye and nod in agreement  when he looks your way BUT try to pay attention for your first ever one ;)

• He'll probably then say "Right, five minutes until we head out!" (as if you've not had long enough already)

• Get yourself kitted up, vest on, with mags in the pouches, get your gun and get your mask

• When you're in the game area your mask or eye protection stays on all the time Don't try and remove it, or lift one corner out of the way to wipe fog away. Just don't risk it

• Head out for the first game by following the crowd.

• Usually the first game at a lot of sites is a faster, more fun orientated game, in order to get everyone started happy and get the blood pumping.

• After the game is finished, you'll trudge back to the safe zone, hopefully happy and with a few kills under your belt.

• There'll be maybe another 2 or 3 games and then you stop for lunch.

• Eat your lunch (Site provided pork foam and foreskin sausages in a dry bun - Nice!)

• Then you'll head out for 2 or 3 more games before you're told it's the end of the day and you can pack up

I won't cover what game modes to expect because each site does it differently.

Lots of places like a Attack & Defend timed game, where one team will push back the other on set route until you have a final showdown at a fort, or a building or something. 

Then the teams are reversed and you have to beat the previous attacker's time etc 

I will say this, no one cares who wins. No one is tallying up whether the blue team does better than red for example. Nobody cares.

Everyone is there to play Tactical Hide and Seek with toy guns. It's Laser quest for grown ups. It's Cowboys and Indians for kids who never decided to be sensible. It is fun!  

:D

Sorry it's a bit of a long post (Usually @Sitting Duck's forte!) but I hope it helps.

Like I mentioned, I used to get so hung up of not knowing what to expect that it ruined a lot of stuff for me as a kid - so hopefully this helps!

Legend!! Your comment has really helped alot. I think your right, it's the not knowing but what you've put has helped tremendously. It's a same none of the people above play/live in or near Sheffield. You've all made me feel welcome and I cant say thank you too you all enough. 

But thank you for you time to write all that. It means more then you think. Thank you 🤝😁

2 hours ago, Sambo said:

I guess I am expecting people to be commenting that my gun is blue and that I am wearing normal clothes.

If anything it attracts the right people to you as they will see you are new and try to help you out.

I had a lot more people make idle chit chat when I was in jeans and a tshirt then I get now. Hell it took a while for Roger to realise it was me after I put camo on.

Equally just because someone is in camo don't assume they know what they are doing. We had a guy at my site who would love to play soldier and boss people about. If someone wants you to push a direction consider why they aren't doing it themselves if it's such a good idea. There is a fine line between helping a new player and using them as bait.  If they are gathering  a group up to do something probably fine to follow along. I've spent games defending with hehaw to do and then spent games just roaming for kills.

• Mostly Retired Moderators
7 minutes ago, Sambo said:

Legend!! Your comment has really helped alot. I think your right, it's the not knowing but what you've put has helped tremendously. It's a same none of the people above play/live in or near Sheffield. You've all made me feel welcome and I cant say thank you too you all enough. 

But thank you for you time to write all that. It means more then you think. Thank you 🤝😁

Mate, no problem at all. Any time.

If there's any question, or scenario or anything you want cleared up, just send me a Private Message if you like :)

9 minutes ago, ziCk_ said:

People are quite friendly (I'm located near Shrewsbury and pretty much everyone attending my field is very welcoming) overall and there will always be one who will take you under their wing. People are a bunch of goofs  anyway - we're ADULTS who run around with TOY GUNS and PLAY WAR after all.

Alternativelly grab a buddy with you who also never played airsoft but is interested enough to try, even if he will never play with you again - you can rent equipment on site after all and you can split your combined anxieties in half :P I've dragged colleague from work  to give it a try and now there's 5 of us (mostly his buddies) - also I ruined his finances as he's even worse than me when it comes to impulse purchases - played 3 matches and in that span bought 2 rifles, 2 pistols, a springer shotgun and bolt action O.O

If an outsider (I'm a foreigner) like me with social anxiety can have fun with strangers, so can you. Now stop whining and go get them tiger!

I never really seen it like adults that never grown up playing with toy guns. Sounds less serious when you put it like that. I guess that the area I live in isnt the nicest and I'm presume it would be like that in game. I cant believe how nice everyone is been and it's made me feel loads more comfortable. After the covids gone I think I'm gonna give it a blast now thank you 👍🤝

Good post Lewis,

The only thing I'll comment on is the safe zone may be treated differently now.

Some sites will ask you to use your car as your bench for kit so you only go into the site to register and then play.

I like that so you can lock things up when you're away playing.

22 minutes ago, Nick G said:

You will also have to get your gun chrono'd to check it is within site limits . That normally happens before the safety brief .

All straight forward, line up, when its your turn fire 2 or 3 shots through the chrono either using the supplied .20 BBs or tell them the weight you are using. They check the power output and you are good to go.

Oh I never thought about that. I've been using 28g bbs. But I have no idea on the power but it leaves a sting when you've just got a shirt on from 10 metres away lol but thank you 🤝

• Supporters
13 minutes ago, Musica said:

I had a lot more people make idle chit chat when I was in jeans and a tshirt then I get now. Hell it took a while for Roger to realise it was me after I put camo on.

True story is true.  It's like... that guy in the operator gear looks a lot like Musica, but... nah, he's not one of those Walts, it can't be him. :D

In-game in particular, you actually will be recognising folk from their distinctive toy guns, masks, patches, hats, and what-not.

13 minutes ago, Musica said:

We had a guy at my site who would love to play soldier and boss people about.

Past tense, decent site owners will give them the flick sooner or later.  And yes, when your encounter them, just smile and nod... and then do whatever you want to do. ;)

@L3wisD is bang on: there's the site owner, there's the marshal team, and then there's every paying player, who are absolutely equal whether they've been there for 10 years or 10 minutes, whether they're toting £3,000 of gear and gun, or a £30 springer shotgun.

• Mostly Retired Moderators
20 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Some sites will ask you to use your car as your bench for kit so you only go into the site to register and then play.

Oh fuck, aye.. I somehow forgot about Covid 19! :D

Swap the part about looking for a table, to "Work from the boot of your car!" 

40 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

wait, it's possible to win in airsoft!?

this, for example they might be a first time player such as yourself who's borrowing a bunch of kit from a mate who plays.

goddamnit, you're not supposed to tell him that, where am i gonna get my meat sheild willing volunteers from now? :ph34r:

I love your humor. Thank you 😂😁

38 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

Mate, no problem at all. Any time.

If there's any question, or scenario or anything you want cleared up, just send me a Private Message if you like :)

Thank you it means alot to have people like your self to go too. Thank you

As mentioned, getting a chrono is certainly handy for checking and maintaining your guns (for there will end up being many ) at home, learn some teching skills and I guarantee you will have more airsoft mates than you can count !

30 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Good post Lewis,

Some sited will ask you to use your car as your bench for kit so you only go into the site to register and then play.

Is this due to the covid? Or is that how it is now anyway?

30 minutes ago, EDcase said:

If you can afford it, its worth getting a chronograph so you don't have to faff on site or worst case, possibly not be able to play if your gun is too hot

Does any of this information give a clue if it would be ok?

Screenshot_20200708-222421_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200708-222411_Samsung Internet.jpg

The 340 fps should be fine as long as it genuinely is, some guns are overpowered from the factory. Usual site limit for AEG guns in the UK is 350 fps measured with .20g BB

Looks like your model is set up for use in the UK based on that spec 

• Supporters
29 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

In-game in particular, you actually will be recognising folk from their distinctive toy guns, masks, patches, hats, and what-not.

for years i was known as "f2000 guy".

29 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

who are absolutely equal whether they've been there for 10 years or 10 minutes, whether they're toting £3,000 of gear and gun, or a £30 springer shotgun.

i'd recount the times when having the more expensive toy gnu failed to prevent me getting shot, but it's happened so often i can't remember any more. pretty sure i got killed by a nerf gun once. i do remember a mate did once managed to get a "grenade" kill with a fudge bar.

its also worth noting that for the most part, just because a given gun is expensive doesn't guarantee that it performs well at the fundamental task of slinging plastic downrange, a lesson i wish i hadn't learned the hard way.

Its also worth bearing in mind that airsoft, unlike say school, or work is a pretty "safe space" to meet new people and just do things without any fear of fucking up. I think most of us can think of opportunities we've missed because we were either too anxious, un-confident, or just straight up scared. There's much less to go wrong when it comes to airsoft (socially speaking that is, soooo many things can go wrong with your kit but that's another subject!)

Personally I'd rather just go and meet people when i get there. Trying to arrange a "date" with some prospective friends would freak me out completely!

Making friends through hobbies is also just very, very useful in the long term. It doesn't have to be airsoft. A lot of the time - we make friends because we're all lumped together in a class room or an office and you find people you like and people you don't and you take it from there. But you leave school, and pensions allowing, you stop work and I think that is where some people go: "...fuck". 

• Supporters
52 minutes ago, Sambo said:

I never really seen it like adults that never grown up playing with toy guns. Sounds less serious when you put it like that. I guess that the area I live in isnt the nicest and I'm presume it would be like that in game.

That's exactly what it is, a game.  Some people do enjoy taking it quite seriously, and that's absolutely fine, but you don't have to take them seriously, or play the same way.  There really are folk (self included) who play in what can only be described as costumes.

And nobbers get filtered out, there's no room for them.  As Musica noted, we had a guy at our local site who took it too seriously.  Not a bad chap, he just got specially excited at a special event, grabbed another player to get his number and that was it, kicked off site and banned.  If you go looking for them, you'll find loads of "AIRSOFTER FLIPS OUT" clickbait videos, but those are mostly in the USA where they do things a bit differently.  Likewise the sniper headshot tosh that's going around, this is the exception, not the rule.  In general, you'll find people laughing with each other a lot more than shouting at each other.

49 minutes ago, Sambo said:

Oh I never thought about that. I've been using 28g bbs. But I have no idea on the power but it leaves a sting when you've just got a shirt on from 10 metres away lol but thank you 🤝

You should be fine if you've bought from a half decent UK retailer.

0.28g is a good shout for woodland - just check if your site requires you to use biodegradable BBs, and how they want you to demonstrate that. I seem to recall one site saying that they expect you to open a new bottle or bag of BBs each day to try and ensure that you're not filling a bio container with non-bio BBs.

As @L3wisD noted, many (but not all) sites will want to put some of their 0.2g BBs into your mag for chrono.  Ask on the day what they expect.  If they chrono with their own BBs, then when you're going to chrono, either bring an empty mid cap, or fill a hi-cap with your BBs, but don't wind it up yet - they'll put their 0.2gs "down the spout", then you wind it up.

Another thing to add to your first day itinerary will be to let them know at sign-in that it's your gun's first day too and ask if you can get it chronoed sooner rather than later.  There will generally be a marshal or another player who can dig out a chrono and do that, and help you set up the hop.  Really, airsofters love to help out.

2 hours ago, L3wisD said:

Oh fuck, aye.. I somehow forgot about Covid 19! :D

Swap the part about looking for a table, to "Work from the boot of your car!" 

Well I've got a big van so I'd have the biggest table lol.

2 hours ago, Nick G said:

As mentioned, getting a chrono is certainly handy for checking and maintaining your guns (for there will end up being many ) at home, learn some teching skills and I guarantee you will have more airsoft mates than you can count !

Are they expensive? 

2 hours ago, Nick G said:

The 340 fps should be fine as long as it genuinely is, some guns are overpowered from the factory. Usual site limit for AEG guns in the UK is 350 fps measured with .20g BB

Looks like your model is set up for use in the UK based on that spec 

Well I got a 2200 lipo battery and it must be a rubbish charger as I've left it to charge for over 2 hours and the light never went green and I needed to go out to a stopped charging and put it all away for now. So if I'm using a 28g bb goes that make it slower at shooting but hit harder if that makes sense lol

2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

for years i was known as "f2000 guy".

i'd recount the times when having the more expensive toy gnu failed to prevent me getting shot, but it's happened so often i can't remember any more. pretty sure i got killed by a nerf gun once. i do remember a mate did once managed to get a "grenade" kill with a fudge bar.

its also worth noting that for the most part, just because a given gun is expensive doesn't guarantee that it performs well at the fundamental task of slinging plastic downrange, a lesson i wish i hadn't learned the hard way.

I didnt want to spend alot/ it took loads of talking to my partner for me to go and get one so the fudge bar could save me some cash lol thank you 😂😂😁😁

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

That's exactly what it is, a game.  Some people do enjoy taking it quite seriously, and that's absolutely fine, but you don't have to take them seriously, or play the same way.  There really are folk (self included) who play in what can only be described as costumes.

And nobbers get filtered out, there's no room for them.  As Musica noted, we had a guy at our local site who took it too seriously.  Not a bad chap, he just got specially excited at a special event, grabbed another player to get his number and that was it, kicked off site and banned.  If you go looking for them, you'll find loads of "AIRSOFTER FLIPS OUT" clickbait videos, but those are mostly in the USA where they do things a bit differently.  Likewise the sniper headshot tosh that's going around, this is the exception, not the rule.  In general, you'll find people laughing with each other a lot more than shouting at each other.

You should be fine if you've bought from a half decent UK retailer.

0.28g is a good shout for woodland - just check if your site requires you to use biodegradable BBs, and how they want you to demonstrate that. I seem to recall one site saying that they expect you to open a new bottle or bag of BBs each day to try and ensure that you're not filling a bio container with non-bio BBs.

As @L3wisD noted, many (but not all) sites will want to put some of their 0.2g BBs into your mag for chrono.  Ask on the day what they expect.  If they chrono with their own BBs, then when you're going to chrono, either bring an empty mid cap, or fill a hi-cap with your BBs, but don't wind it up yet - they'll put their 0.2gs "down the spout", then you wind it up.

Another thing to add to your first day itinerary will be to let them know at sign-in that it's your gun's first day too and ask if you can get it chronoed sooner rather than later.  There will generally be a marshal or another player who can dig out a chrono and do that, and help you set up the hop.  Really, airsofters love to help out.

Yeah I think I'd just ruff it and just do the okie dokie to get the hang of it. My bbs are biodegradable. Think that's quite a good thing from them. And if I'm shooting into a cardboard box at the bottom of my garden, could I reuse the bbs or should I bin them?

Thank you for your reply its educated me quite alot. Thank you 🤝

8 minutes ago, Sambo said:

Well I've got a big van so I'd have the biggest table lol.

Are they expensive? 

Well I got a 2200 lipo battery and it must be a rubbish charger as I've left it to charge for over 2 hours and the light never went green and I needed to go out to a stopped charging and put it all away for now. So if I'm using a 28g bb goes that make it slower at shooting but hit harder if that makes sense lol

I didnt want to spend alot/ it took loads of talking to my partner for me to go and get one so the fudge bar could save me some cash lol thank you 😂😂😁😁

A chrono will set you back about £50 or so. The charging issue is probably the charger, if it's a Nuprol one their chargers are not great.Worth investing in a decent Lipo balance charger, Imax B6 or similar. Will be much better for your batteries in the long run.

Yes your .28BBs will travel more slowly but should posses (aprox) the same energy , 350 fps on .2's is 1.13 joules which should see you at about 290 / 295 fps with your .28's Lots of sites are now measuring energy with your own BBs ( there are legal restrictions on how powerful our toys can be) 

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, Sambo said:

So if I'm using a 28g bb goes that make it slower at shooting but hit harder if that makes sense lol

yes and no.

basically your bb will never have more energy than it does at the muzzle (for the sake of argument lets say 1.3j) and point blank it should hit as hard wether it's a .12 or a .48 everything else being equal.

a heavier bb when span up by the hop unit has a lower velocity for the same energy. however it doesn't slow down as quick so carries its energy better and as such hits a bit harder at range. you also get the side benefits of being less affected by wind/leaves etc.

generally i find for an assault gun style of role outdoors roundabout the .3g range is a nice balance of cost/performance, so you're off to a good start.

if you want the long winded explanation then here's some light reading:

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.