Struggling to Beat My Anxiety and Go.

Sambo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Get yourself some good face protection and anything else, sooner the better, just have some fun, but remember to stay safe! 🔫😎👍

If I was local, would join you for a game! 🔫😜👍

💷GAMBLE💷

32 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

Welcome.  Just go. Sooner you try then the sooner you know whether you like it or not.  If you do enjoy yourself then all good. Many of us start out as Billy no mates and turn up alone without knowing anyone.

Kinda easier said then done but thank you for the vote of confidence 🤞👍

15 minutes ago, GAMBLE said:

Get yourself some good face protection and anything else, sooner the better, just have some fun, but remember to stay safe! 🔫😎👍

If I was local, would join you for a game! 🔫😜👍

💷GAMBLE💷

And some new thick clothing for now lol but thank you for your words. It all help 👍😁

As you’ve stated it’s easier said than done, but the airsoft community is very friendly (the ones I’ve met anyway) so I’m sure they’ll make you feel very welcomed! Make sure you get some good boots with ankle protection (if you haven’t already got some)

• Supporters

seriously, it's pretty hard to pluck up the courage, especially if you're striking out for the first time on your own, but there's no other way around it than to just get up and go play.

pretty sure we've all been there at one time or another, just part of life.

You will be amazed at how quickly you are chatting to other players, if numbers permit at the site you could even go along on a game day just for a look around and to meet the folk running the site etc. But chuck the gun and your kit in the boot 'cos I guarantee that once you get there you will want to play ! Honestly though don't worry about going on your own, as long as you play fair, call your hits and join in you will be made welcome, As others have said, get some decent eye and face pro and some sturdy boots , get down there and have fun .

I was quite anxious the first time I went on my own.

Its a bit like going to a new school...  You worry if you'll have a good day but as soon as you get there and you talk to people and make friends it all works out.

Just have a laugh and don't take the game too seriously.

...and don't forget that you can decide what to do there, get stuck in with the attacks or hang back and support.

After all its meant to be a fun thing people do so its highly likely you'll have fun 😉

• Supporters

+10 or so to the above.  Airsoft really is a welcoming hobby.  Most players are self-selected to be fair, friendly and level headed sorts.  I have some social anxiety, I'm sure a fair number of us do, but I promise you, once you step on site and start talking to folk about their guns and gear, you'll quickly find that you're among a like minded group of people.  You can play bound and cover with folk, you can slope off and hide in the bushes, it's all good, you'll find a way to enjoy it.  Just give it a go, you won't regret it.

12 hours ago, ScottyLad said:

As you’ve stated it’s easier said than done, but the airsoft community is very friendly (the ones I’ve met anyway) so I’m sure they’ll make you feel very welcomed! Make sure you get some good boots with ankle protection (if you haven’t already got some)

Well I must admit the hardest part is getting out my vehicle once I'm there. People look like army guys/women and all look the part and I'm turning up in trackys and on my tod. The other thing is that my gun it blue like a smurf and I dont know if it's all set up right. I've set the scope up to be able to hit a clothes line pole and the bottom of my garden from my lounge( about just over 10 metres), but on the videos I watch it looks like a need to set a bigger distance. 

Your words help a lot and talking to everyone is helping a lot thank you and I got some good walking boots thank you lol

12 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

seriously, it's pretty hard to pluck up the courage, especially if you're striking out for the first time on your own, but there's no other way around it than to just get up and go play.

pretty sure we've all been there at one time or another, just part of life.

I feel like your words help me more than the video lol but it was kinda funny to watch 😁 thank you

Ps I'm just driving to work so I will reply to everyone shortly. Thank tho to everyone  🤝

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Sambo said:

Well I must admit the hardest part is getting out my vehicle once I'm there.

This is pretty common, it's a safe space where you're in control. I get this too at new sites.  Heck, I don't even like being a passenger in other people's vehicles.

What I'd suggest is that you go to the site out-of-hours and familiarise yourself with it.  Make it your space.  And don't fret about fretting, it's a common condition, and airsoft is a great way to improve it.

1 hour ago, Sambo said:

People look like army guys/women and all look the part and I'm turning up in trackys and on my tod.

Eh, they're playing dress up.  Consider that costumes and personas also help with social anxiety - you get to play a role other than your usual self, and the ritual of putting the gear on gets your head into the game before you even start playing.  It might help you if you bought some camo gear, it doesn't really matter what, just the cheapest that you can find.

1 hour ago, Sambo said:

The other thing is that my gun it blue like a smurf

Nobody will care.

1 hour ago, Sambo said:

and I dont know if it's all set up right. I've set the scope up to be able to hit a clothes line pole and the bottom of my garden from my lounge( about just over 10 metres), but on the videos I watch it looks like a need to set a bigger distance. 

You will want to dial the hop-up in on site.  So get on site and do it on game day.  It'll give you an activity that you can focus on first thing.  Ask someone to spot where the BBs are going, now you've just made a chum.

1 hour ago, Sambo said:

Your words help a lot

You're not alone.  Actually playing airsoft will help more, it's a great confidence booster.

I get very anxious about all sorts of things that I know I shouldn't but that doesn't help.  I was lucky that I knew a few people that played and they just kept my right on my first day. After that first day however they don't play very often and I wanted more so I went on my own. I've met 3 or 4 people from this forum at my local site now and played with and against them ( how many TRMRs does one man need?!?). They are all very nice and helpful.

Just show up early watch where people go and do the same. Listen to what site staff say they will keep you right. If your unsure about something just ask them for clarrification instead of getting anxious about it. Same goes for any worries in your head right now just email the site if you have any questions or worries and they will probably clear them up for you. It's not like a school where people are trying to make fun of each other to put people down. Everyone is there to shoot at each other and will shoot you the same in camo or a superhero costume.

If you are worried about  your gun failing you just spend the extra get a rental package so you have a backup to use should yours not perform on the day. There is a rule that 1 is none and 2 is 1 but most airsofters think they need a full armoury.  If you do this and you have any issues with the rental gun speak to a marshal if they don't resolve it ask to speak to the head marashall. You paid for a working rental gun and your expereince will very much be effected by something jamming or not feeding.

You just need to be logical about the cause for the aniexty and try to even write them down. The more you understand them the more you can do to resolve them. So if your worried about what your are wearing then me telling you no one cares isn't going to help much but you could get some surplus kit and "blend in". It won't make a difference to what people think but if it helps you then there is no harm. Don't spend too much on this kit despite what people say  you will still rip it on a fence or tree  branch or something eventually so don't spend crazy money.

https://www.militarykit.com/products/british-army-mtp-warm-weather-combat-trousers-used?variant=7333532270650

https://www.militarykit.com/products/british-army-pcs-mtp-ubacs-shirt-olive-used?variant=23685220630586

Another thing to keep in mind is that while  not everyone says they have aniexty almost everyone does so there is no shame in it. Often you find people who appear to have none have the most.

Easier said than done but just get the first game out the way and you'll likely wonder why you ever worried in the first place.

Let's be honest about all the guys who "look the part"

1) They're not elite soldiers, they're the same as you, just a few thousand pounds more invested in this game than you. Certainly doesn't make them better than you though.

2) They're too busy gushing over the latest tweak they've done to their equipment (or desperately trying to fix it), to look down on you for how you're dressed. 

3) Most of them are actually friendly enough and will happily give advice etc if you need it. Afterall, we all started where you are now.

14 hours ago, Nick G said:

You will be amazed at how quickly you are chatting to other players, if numbers permit at the site you could even go along on a game day just for a look around and to meet the folk running the site etc. But chuck the gun and your kit in the boot 'cos I guarantee that once you get there you will want to play ! Honestly though don't worry about going on your own, as long as you play fair, call your hits and join in you will be made welcome, As others have said, get some decent eye and face pro and some sturdy boots , get down there and have fun .

Before I had anything I went to watch but chickened out as I watch everyone walking in all like best mates. I just felt like the odd one out. But now I have a gun ( I need some other stuff aswell) I might pop up like you say but I'll call them 1st to make sure it's ok for me to watch or just come say hi. 

Thank you for you comment. It means alot. 👍😁

13 hours ago, AJC said:

Like others have said, just do it. I know it's easier said than done, but I knew 0 people who were interested in airsoft so went to a few games alone and met a bunch of weirdos who I now speak to all the time and go to games with regularly. It's an inclusive bunch, generally speaking. 👍

It's nice to know that people are saying the same, people that go to it are really nice people. I u7that there may be a few that spoil it but it's nice to know majority are kind and friendly people. It's also nice to know that it's not just me that started on his own lol

Thank you 🤝

13 hours ago, leadly said:

I made a thread a few days ago about going to my first game solo.

Depending on how well (hungover) I feel on Saturday morning, I may end up going by myself.

I joined a running club a few years ago and attended that by myself, I was nervous at first but everyone was there for the same reason. To run and have a natter and eat biscuits afterwards. Same with the classic mini scene that I used to be a bit more involved in. I went to meets by myself, made friends and joined a club because we all had that one interest in common. I'm sure the same will go with Airsoft!

It's not as if your going to turn up by yourself and someone's going to try and shoot yo........

I get you. I guess that im used to people been awkward just generally in the streets ( what you looking at? kinda thing ) but I'm overwhelmed how friendly everyones response is. I'll have a read through your thread shortly.

Thank you for your kind words 👍🤝😁

13 hours ago, Dogsbody100 said:

Good on you for posting on here, it’s a great first step and I can’t recommend this forum enough for good advice.

To echo what has already been said you’ll be glad to know that the games are full of the same calibre (sorry for the pun) of people and as mentioned in another thread if you’re going on your own it won’t be long before you’re chatting to everyone and playing alongside people.

I go alone as I’m in the same boat as you - no mates that like airsoft and if you were in the south then you’d be more than welcome to join me (though I tend to slow people down with my questionable fitness! 😂 

Don’t be put off by anything, it’s a great sport packed with fun and what’s even better - it’s for everyone. Get stuck in.

Enjoy!

Thank you for the boost of confidence. I imagine that once you've been it's like riding a bike. Is it open at the moment with this covid going about? I imagine everyone is like 2 meters apart anyway behind a wall so it should be open?

Really thank you. Hope to have a game one day with you🤔😁👍

13 hours ago, EDcase said:

I was quite anxious the first time I went on my own.

Its a bit like going to a new school...  You worry if you'll have a good day but as soon as you get there and you talk to people and make friends it all works out.

Just have a laugh and don't take the game too seriously.

...and don't forget that you can decide what to do there, get stuck in with the attacks or hang back and support.

After all its meant to be a fun thing people do so its highly likely you'll have fun 😉

I think you've knocked it on the head there. It's like moving to a new school. I like that terminology. I guess I just need to learn the lingo and I shouldnt be to much of a newbie lol

Thank you man 🤝👍

11 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

+10 or so to the above.  Airsoft really is a welcoming hobby.  Most players are self-selected to be fair, friendly and level headed sorts.  I have some social anxiety, I'm sure a fair number of us do, but I promise you, once you step on site and start talking to folk about their guns and gear, you'll quickly find that you're among a like minded group of people.  You can play bound and cover with folk, you can slope off and hide in the bushes, it's all good, you'll find a way to enjoy it.  Just give it a go, you won't regret it.

Yeah his comment was nice but also everyone in the own way is helping with what they've put. Just by talking to you all makes me feel a little bit more connected if that makes sense? 

May be silly to ask but what's bound and cover?

Thank you for your comment its helped alot

👍😁

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

whats wrong with traccys?

honestly it doesn't matter what you're wearing, sure camo helps in woodland but you see people turning up wearing all sorts, this is a sport where you can see an extra from enemy at the gates teaming up with deadpool to take out an indian cheif.

if you play as honestly and fairly as you can (call hits, don't hose everyone you see on auto etc) that will make more of an impression than the colour of your gat.

Oh I'd be playing fair. The amount of cheating videos I've watched is silly and the anger that it can cause isnt worth it. Thank you for your time and words. And I hope I dont see someone as good ad deadpool lol. 

Thank you 👍😁

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

This is pretty common, it's a safe space where you're in control. I get this too at new sites.  Heck, I don't even like being a passenger in other people's vehicles.

What I'd suggest is that you go to the site out-of-hours and familiarise yourself with it.  Make it your space.  And don't fret about fretting, it's a common condition, and airsoft is a great way to improve it.

Eh, they're playing dress up.  Consider that costumes and personas also help with social anxiety - you get to play a role other than your usual self, and the ritual of putting the gear on gets your head into the game before you even start playing.  It might help you if you bought some camo gear, it doesn't really matter what, just the cheapest that you can find.

Nobody will care.

You will want to dial the hop-up in on site.  So get on site and do it on game day.  It'll give you an activity that you can focus on first thing.  Ask someone to spot where the BBs are going, now you've just made a chum.

You're not alone.  Actually playing airsoft will help more, it's a great confidence booster.

Thank you for taking time to read through my responses and replying to them individually. I do like your idea of going while they are not open and familiarising myself with the site. And I like what you said about they are just dressing up, it doesn't make them professional, it's just puts there head in the game. I was going to have a little mess around with the Hop Up but I need a bigger place to do it so like you said it may be better for me to go and do it on site and potentially have someone to help me.

I have got an over stuff like this in the past but it is just doing it for the first time is the hardest. but after eating everybody's comments up to now I'm feeling a lot more confident.

Thank you 👍🤝😁

1 hour ago, Musica said:

I get very anxious about all sorts of things that I know I shouldn't but that doesn't help.  I was lucky that I knew a few people that played and they just kept my right on my first day. After that first day however they don't play very often and I wanted more so I went on my own. I've met 3 or 4 people from this forum at my local site now and played with and against them ( how many TRMRs does one man need?!?). They are all very nice and helpful.

Just show up early watch where people go and do the same. Listen to what site staff say they will keep you right. If your unsure about something just ask them for clarrification instead of getting anxious about it. Same goes for any worries in your head right now just email the site if you have any questions or worries and they will probably clear them up for you. It's not like a school where people are trying to make fun of each other to put people down. Everyone is there to shoot at each other and will shoot you the same in camo or a superhero costume.

If you are worried about  your gun failing you just spend the extra get a rental package so you have a backup to use should yours not perform on the day. There is a rule that 1 is none and 2 is 1 but most airsofters think they need a full armoury.  If you do this and you have any issues with the rental gun speak to a marshal if they don't resolve it ask to speak to the head marashall. You paid for a working rental gun and your expereince will very much be effected by something jamming or not feeding.

You just need to be logical about the cause for the aniexty and try to even write them down. The more you understand them the more you can do to resolve them. So if your worried about what your are wearing then me telling you no one cares isn't going to help much but you could get some surplus kit and "blend in". It won't make a difference to what people think but if it helps you then there is no harm. Don't spend too much on this kit despite what people say  you will still rip it on a fence or tree  branch or something eventually so don't spend crazy money.

https://www.militarykit.com/products/british-army-mtp-warm-weather-combat-trousers-used?variant=7333532270650

https://www.militarykit.com/products/british-army-pcs-mtp-ubacs-shirt-olive-used?variant=23685220630586

Another thing to keep in mind is that while  not everyone says they have aniexty almost everyone does so there is no shame in it. Often you find people who appear to have none have the most.

At the sites near me they don't rent equipment out so that's why I went ahead and bought a gun and I just need some face protection. I think I will do what you say in turning up early and watching what people do. I guess I am expecting people to be commenting that my gun is blue and that I am wearing normal clothes. I just didn't expect people to be so friendly. I will have a look at your link shortly I'm just trying to reply to everybody to show my appreciation for their kind words.

But thank you for what you have said stuff like writing it down I didn't think of.

Thank you 👍😁

1 hour ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Easier said than done but just get the first game out the way and you'll likely wonder why you ever worried in the first place.

Let's be honest about all the guys who "look the part"

1) They're not elite soldiers, they're the same as you, just a few thousand pounds more invested in this game than you. Certainly doesn't make them better than you though.

2) They're too busy gushing over the latest tweak they've done to their equipment (or desperately trying to fix it), to look down on you for how you're dressed. 

3) Most of them are actually friendly enough and will happily give advice etc if you need it. Afterall, we all started where you are now.

I guess the people that look the part are going to be talking to me in army slang that I won't understand or i would just be a hindrance to my team.  after reading everybody's replies I feel a lot more confident in going and I am actually looking forward to meeting people now.

Thank you for your kind words and knowledge

🤝👍😎

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, Sambo said:

May be silly to ask but what's bound and cover?

Bounding overwatch, fire-and-movement, whatever the latest tacticool term is.  Moving in co-ordination with others, you move while they fire, then they move while you fire, usually with lots of shouting of "Move up! Move up!" from folk with all the gear 10 metres behind you, but with very little movement from them. ;)

Some folk love the full Shouty McDrillsergeant experience, some like to sneak around on the flanks, it's all good.  You play your way.

And I hope I dont see someone as good ad deadpool lol. 

The first day I played (rental, solo, awkward, lost, not knowing what I was doing) there was a mad lad running around in a pretty decent Deadpool costume having a blast.  That's what convinced me that airsoft is a broad church.  You can have fun doing whatever you want to do, whether that's a stitch-counter impression kit, generic camo, trackies, speedsofting or LARPing.  The BBs don't care, we're all equal once we're hit.

I was going to have a little mess around with the Hop Up but I need a bigger place to do it so like you said it may be better for me to go and do it on site and potentially have someone to help me.

It does help to have a spotter looking from the side to see where the BBs start dropping - just a tiny bit of tuning on the hop can add several metres to your effective range.

I have got an over stuff like this in the past but it is just doing it for the first time is the hardest. but after eating everybody's comments up to now I'm feeling a lot more confident.

Great, I'm glad we can help. You'll find folk like us at every airsoft site.  Yes, there will be groups in camo with matching patches acting like they're a unit going on deployment to Helmand, there will also be some quiet folk just getting on with setting up their guns and mags who will be more than happy to have a chat and show you the ropes.

• Supporters

47 minutes ago, Sambo said:

hope I dont see someone as good ad deadpool lol. 

dressed as=/=as effective as, especially in woodland red tends to stand out lol.

was pretty funny, although he did say he regretted it by the end of the day being covered in bramble scratches and nettle stings.

stupid stuff like this is one of the things i love about this hobby, for example we once started playing rick astley in the middle of a gunfight and everyone started singing and dancing to it, somehow we even managed to hold our ground for the duration as well...

end of the day it's just a bunch of (mostly) grown men doing stupid shit in the name of a good time.

4 hours ago, Sambo said:

Well I must admit the hardest part is getting out my vehicle once I'm there. People look like army guys/women and all look the part and I'm turning up in trackys and on my tod. The other thing is that my gun it blue like a smurf and I dont know if it's all set up right. I've set the scope up to be able to hit a clothes line pole and the bottom of my garden from my lounge( about just over 10 metres), but on the videos I watch it looks like a need to set a bigger distance. 

I turned up to one game dressed like a French peasant from Allo Allo and a chap used to play at our local dressed like a western gun slinger , I' ve also played in jeans and cargos . Its all good, wear anything you like , we are all playing dress up and running around shooting each other with our toy guns 🤣 And god only knows how many times I've been shot by bright blue or bright green guns ! 

44 minutes ago, Sambo said:

I guess the people that look the part are going to be talking to me in army slang that I won't understand or i would just be a hindrance to my team.

You're overthinking in mate. It's far less like being part of a proper army than you think. Bear in mind a significant amount of people there are kids or general new players and 99% of the rest haven't served in a real army. Plus most of the time teams are very disorganised and you're all just trying to achieve the objective in your own way. There are no officers barking orders that you need to follow.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.