Selling a RIF Part That Was Previously an If (I.E. Painted but Since Stripped) Is That Legal?

Uncle Pauly

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ok, so I've been searching the forum (and Google) for an answer on this, but I can't find one. So I'm chancing my luck here!

Q: Is it legal to sell part of an airsoft gun that was previously painted (i.e. as an imitation firearm), but has since been stripped of paint?

The situation is I've acquired a RAS (rail system) from a gun that was previously two-tone. And on inspection I've noticed that the part was previously painted blue - some small flecks of paint remain. Given that, can I sell on the part to someone else?  (e.g. on a public forum, such as this one). Strictly speaking I'm not selling a RIF - just part of one. But I'd like to do right by the law (yes I also stop on amber lights, for the record).

I'm aware that I could clean the paint off and nobody would be any wiser. But the paint has stained the white rail numbering in places and I doubt it'll clean up spotless 'as new'.

Advice gratefully received. Cheers 🍺

58 minutes ago, Uncle Pauly said:

Ok, so I've been searching the forum (and Google) for an answer on this, but I can't find one. So I'm chancing my luck here!

Q: Is it legal to sell part of an airsoft gun that was previously painted (i.e. as an imitation firearm), but has since been stripped of paint?

The situation is I've acquired a RAS (rail system) from a gun that was previously two-tone. And on inspection I've noticed that the part was previously painted blue - some small flecks of paint remain. Given that, can I sell on the part to someone else?  (e.g. on a public forum, such as this one). Strictly speaking I'm not selling a RIF - just part of one. But I'd like to do right by the law (yes I also stop on amber lights, for the record).

I'm aware that I could clean the paint off and nobody would be any wiser. But the paint has stained the white rail numbering in places and I doubt it'll clean up spotless 'as new'.

Advice gratefully received. Cheers 🍺

the only sales restrictions are on complete RIFs there are no restrictions on selling parts.

• Supporters
44 minutes ago, BigStew said:

the only sales restrictions are on complete RIFs there are no restrictions on selling parts.

it does raise the interesting question where between say an m4 reciever, and a complete firehawk, you should draw the line.

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

it does raise the interesting question where between say an m4 reciever, and a complete firehawk, you should draw the line.

It'll be the Man on the Clapham Omnibus standard.  If a typical non-expert member of the public would look at the thing that you're selling and think that it's a real firearm, then it's a realistic imitation firearm.

Of course, that test isn't applied.  You get experts arguing over what non-experts would think, which makes it a rather silly standard.  But notionally, that's it.  A bare receiver, no.  A complete firehawk, yes.

But the OP is absolutely fine to sell parts.

If we want to talk daft I bought a umarex colt single action army. 1873 so just falls within the vcra timing wise. But as it was 177 calibre, no defence needed under the vcra.

I have converted it to airsoft, hopped barrel, 300fps on 0.2s.

Now suddenly a defence is required. 

Daft.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Cromulon1994 said:

If we want to talk daft I bought a umarex colt single action army. 1873 so just falls within the vcra timing wise. But as it was 177 calibre, no defence needed under the vcra.

Daft.

i thought the vrca was 1875?

• Supporters
22 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i thought the vrca was 1875?

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/38

(8)In subsection (7) “modern firearm” means any firearm other than one the appearance of which would tend to identify it as having a design and mechanism of a sort first dating from before the year 1870.

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/38

(8)In subsection (7) “modern firearm” means any firearm other than one the appearance of which would tend to identify it as having a design and mechanism of a sort first dating from before the year 1870.

ahh, 5 years out....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporters
On 24/07/2020 at 09:20, Cromulon1994 said:

Daft.

"Manufacturing a RIF" innit.

On 24/07/2020 at 09:20, Cromulon1994 said:

Daft.

One of these? 

https://www.umarex.com/products/airguns/co2/5.8320.html

That's an air pistol so is classed as a firearm, not a RIF due to the muzzle energy so is subject to different laws

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.