Who Goes to Games by Themselves?

leadly

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all.

I was supposed to be at Matlock Combat Games this past Saturday but unfortunately my 4 month old ended up in hospital Wednesday night and didn't get out until Saturday morning!

He's all fine and dandy now but I missed out on going to my first skirmish with a few of my mates.

I'm able to make it this Saturday (hangover pending) and thought as I'm pretending to be a sniper I'll be by myself for the most part anyway (remember I've never played before) so why not just rock up solo.

So, after that long winded first chapter, who else turns up solo?

I'm not nervous about going by myself, I like to force myself into new situations, I just know it'd be a bit more enjoyable with my mates but we all works shifts and sorting something is always a ball ache and I just want to shoot bits of plastic at people from a far!!

I went on my own last week, often do if none of my mates are going. Not that unusual for only one of us to make it to be fair, we all have other stuff going on. Just turn up and get chatting, airsofters are generally a friendly bunch , you'll soon get chatting to others. Listen to the briefings, play fair and call your hits and above all have Fun ! You'll be part of a group before you know it ! 

I've gone alone a few times mainly because of..........

letdowns

folk making excuses

life in general

fortunately the site I go to is full of good folks and there's usually someone to squad up with

I always go on my own. Too much of a faff getting people off work on the same days, so I just go whenever I can. When you're playing you get split up from groups anyway, and between games you can just chat to whoever's nearby in the safezone. 

@leadly 👋

When I first started I went solo! 
On the day, you will fit in with certain people, also possibly make new friends, I did! 😎👍

Have fun! 🔫😜🤞

💷GAMBLE💷

I’ll often go solo for walk on skirmishes.  My usual plan is to decide a day I can go having cleared it with the wife and then let people know I’m going, if some of them can make it bonus, if not I’ll go it alone.

Milsims and weekend events take a bit more planning so there is usually a few of us.

Yeah, I'm not bothered. My car is usually full with my stuff anyway and if I want to talk to someone there's always people you can spark up a convo with while you're getting ready etc.

I try and sync up with either my brother or one of my old team mates, but sometimes I just get the itch and no ones available so i'll just rock up on my own. Come to think of it I used to do Epsom tunnels pretty much exclusively solo, but would always make friends whenever I went - usually quite a friendly bunch there. Not been since they re-opened though, but now my brother has the CQB itch he wants in next time too.. not that Epsom is the most traditional CQB experience; at least they have changed the rules to semi only now. 

To be honest even when I meet mates in the safe zone, as soon as the game starts we all run off in different directions 😆

I went with my son last time and only saw him a couple of times in the game.

You just end up roughly organising a plan with whoever is next to you.

If you go as a sniper you may never meet anyone to talk to 😉

roll in like a lone wolf all the time 🐺

would be better have a committed second person to do army of two duos . using radios and team work tactics.

Airsoft generally full of friendly people never feel out of place. Just gives reason to interact with new people i guess. countless people i met also rocking solo. best thing about the sport 

You can show up with friends but you will lose each other pretty quickly. I've been on my own and I organise days for people to go. I would never go to not my local on my own just  because I cba travelling far without someone in the car to talk to.

It shouldn't be a factor to going and playing. I just tell people I know who play if I have booked to go on a date sometimes I end up alone but it's still fun.

For being a sniper as a beginner most of the decent fields won't even let you snipe as a first timer to their field let alone first timer to airsoft. You have a lot more responsibility with a minimum engagement to worry about.

Yesterday and week before I went by myself as usual compadres are shit/under the thumb 😆 aside from a bit of safe zone banter didn't notice they weren't there, always plenty of friendly folks to chat to.

Think of it like dropping into Normandy in Band of Brothers, just link up with others and take it from there. Or hang out cosplaying shrubbery, both are totally good options. 

I tend to show up with my mates and then end up leaving them every round as you just get lost in the woodlands.
So technically you always end up alone but try and meet other snipers on the day and make some mates while there. I end up bumping into people some rounds and hanging out with totally new people and regrouping with everyone else after.  👍🏻🙂

• Supporters

Usually go with a few mates, but i'm not against heading out solo.

Pretty usual to end up on your own anyway, even if you try to stick together you'll be split up moment someone gets hit.

Yeah my brother and I were recently discussing the 'start together but then never see each other for the rest of the round' factor.

We're gonna try pick up a set of walkies and headsets next time we go out - see if that can help pull us back together after one of us gets hit and bugs out back to spawn.

Like may others have said. Drop a line to the folks you normally play with and then Go, if your on your own it won't be for long. :)

I did find that having a radio you can channel hop with made joining quiet a few random squads much easier as even if your going out to snipe you can get a feel/info for what's going on else where and position accordingly.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Zarrin said:

Yeah my brother and I were recently discussing the 'start together but then never see each other for the rest of the round' factor.

We're gonna try pick up a set of walkies and headsets next time we go out - see if that can help pull us back together after one of us gets hit and bugs out back to spawn.

I'll be honest, radio chatter can be quite the distraction when your trying to be sneaky lol

Matlock is a nice 45 minute drive for me so it gives me a chance to take my mini (classic for the record) out for a thrash on some nice roads as well. 

My mates who did go at the weekend really enjoyed it but they are very aggressive in their play style so I'd probably only see them in the safe zone anyway!

9 hours ago, Musica said:

For being a sniper as a beginner most of the decent fields won't even let you snipe as a first timer to their field let alone first timer to airsoft. You have a lot more responsibility with a minimum engagement to worry about.

I've been getting a good gauge on my 20m distance. I've been working on the railway for nearly 14 years now and a single coach is around 23m ish long. So I'm mentally measuring in coach lengths! For example my garden is unfortunately only one coach length and the lamp post behind my house is about 2 coaches away!

• Supporters

Having to organise myself around other airsofters' foibles, whims and schedules sounds like a fairly close approximation to hell.  Heck, I can barely bare to get a pre-arranged radio channel set up on site, let alone pile into some sort of A-Team van. I pity the fool.

The times I've gone with my mates, I literally only saw them in the safe zone, as soon as the game starts I end up with other players either accidentally ending up in a squad with someone else or just because I've been chatting to people about their equipment. I'm going on my own this weekend to a totally new site myself. 

Not just every site I've been to but every game, there's literally always one voice that's louder than the rest, bragging to a person or group they didn't even go with "Ohhh maatee! I'm so hungover, I was aaaatt wid da lads 'til 5am, then bosh! Get up this mornin', Maccy D's on the way.....sorted!" or "Yeah, this is my new Marui Recoil. This thing's a beast! The shop did me a cracking deal too and let me put the 1650 smackaroonies on credit! Maaatee the other team must be brickin' it, I can hop 0.60g's (at 190fps)!"

I do the majority of the time. Will go somewhere nice for the weekend with the Mrs and youngest and fit a game in around it. New places each time. Bump into a lot of people I know from forums, FB ect as well as some from real life sometimes which is nice. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.