The Cardinal Airsoft Sin....

Adolf Hamster

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

yes i'm that bored......

so i'm wondering what folk reckon is the worst sin for airsoft? we're all familiar with the various creative game mechanics people intentionally or unintentionally employ but which one gets you the most?

for me it's the blatant non-hit takers, which needs some clarification, i don't have a problem (or at least it doesn't annoy me as much) with new/inexperienced players shrugging off the odd ping and likewise there's always that mag pouch/ghillie leaf/long range glancing blow that folk genuinely don't feel/hear and that's just part of the game, at least the solution is easy- just keep shooting until they feel something.

but what i have zero time and patience for is when you can tag an experienced player close enough that you can see and hear the impact, you watch them twitch, you know they're hit and you know they know they're hit, but they play on regardless. this is a sport that's based on honour and trust and this breaks that base foundation.

i don't have a problem with folk wanting to shoot stuff and not get shot back, there are sports for that, but those sports are not airsoft and if you expect me to call out at the lightest brush then i expect the same courtesy in return.

the problem is when you face it what do you do? it's hard enough even with a decent marshalling team to call out "that guy in all multicam" so you're limited to giving up, losing your temper or becoming that which you hate and joining the godmode bandwagon.

a close second for me is running hot, which is a big no-no for all sorts of reasons. however, with the likes of joule creep it's entirely possible for an otherwise honest player to accidentally run hot and given the systems of chrono'ing in place it feels to me like it's as much the fault of the site and it's methods of checking what's allowed out on the field as it is the player. of course the regulator twiddlers and sneaky spring changers who do it intentionally are just as bad as the godmoders.

More-so than not taking your hits, surely physically interfering with someone is a bigger sin?

I don't necessarily mean fighting as we all know airsofters are mostly feeble. However I did see a CQB video of someone who noticed an enemies gun protruding through a window, so proceeded to grab the barrel and forceably redirect it with one hand, whist firing a pistol in to their chest with the other. How would you guys react if that happened to you?

9 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

More-so than not taking your hits, surely physically interfering with someone is a bigger sin?

I'd personally expand that to don't touch other people's stuff without asking.

plus Airsoft is a non contact sport for a reason...

since it's supposed to be a game of honour I can agree that cheating and cheat calling does ruin the atmosphere too, so that's probably the one for me. especially since the sport is built around honesty, otherwise we would all be playing paintball....

• Supporters
39 minutes ago, BigStew said:

No hit takers is the ultimate sin in Airsoft. Next is people calling someone a non hit taker and can't confirm that they even hit the person 99% of the time people miss. These two types of people can ruin a game day atmosphere. 

indeed, i've had folk shout at me after missing by yards or dropping short by many meters (real meters not airsoft ones). these days i lean towards giving the benefit of the doubt unless i can actually see the shot land. although i will note it's amazing how much further engagement distances get when people are playing fair (also notable how people playing fair also leads to a massive drop in auto fire/overshooting, a jump in trade kills and use of courtesy bang kills)

19 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

I don't necessarily mean fighting as we all know airsofters are mostly feeble. However I did see a CQB video of someone who noticed an enemies gun protruding through a window, so proceeded to grab the barrel and forceably redirect it with one hand, whist firing a pistol in to their chest with the other. How would you guys react if that happened to you?

interesting one, in a regular skirmish i'd be inclined to agree although that's one of those ones where if everyone's on the same page and ok with it i can see it being ok.

admittedly the safe zone grabbers can be a mite annoying, it's just basic manners to at least ask before messing with other folks stuff (the caveat being talking about strangers here, pinching squad mates gear for banter is a different matter)

Personally, I don't really mind non hit taking because its so common place.  Its cheat calling that ruins atmosphere and days out and is worse I think.  Airsofters will all cheat at some point to some degree, accept it and move on.

• Supporters
32 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

Personally, I don't really mind non hit taking because its so common place.  Its cheat calling that ruins atmosphere and days out and is worse I think

It's a tough call. I'm minded to agree that cheat-calling is very bad form because it sends an audible signal that it's OK to do it.  I'd like to see sites crack down on it - and don't say "Cheat calling is as bad as cheating" and then not enforce that when you can hear it happening.

However, it can be hard to resist an oral ejaculation when you bounce three tracers off of Captain Crye at 10m and then he turns around and shoots you, as happened to me last game day about a hundred years ago.

So both are contextual.  Don't shout "Take your hits, you cheating rascal" at someone 60m away in a bush when you've likely been casting your BB seed on the ground, or into leaves.  But if someone is (as per Adolf's point) blatantly pretending not to feel or hear hits when you're sure that they did... OK, don't shout it then either, but if it does slip out, well, they started it.

I think on balance, I'd execute hit dodgers first, then cheat callers second.  It's all contextual though.

5 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

However, it can be hard to resist an oral ejaculation 

casting your BB seed on the ground, or into leaves. 

We're still talking about airsoft, right?.......right!?

People thinking they're too cool for their opponents.

That's what ruins airsoft.

Since you think you're smarter and cooler, you tend to ignore their bbs, then you act like an asshole, boasting your gear/gun/whatever comparing it to theirs.

"heh, my gnu costs €700 and it's the best thing ever, beats yours by a mile because it's the best fucking gun money can buy"

Gets old fast.

Not talking about banter (like towards that one cunt with the Aster that has never worked and eats batteries like candy), but intentional bashing on those who

a) don't have a lot of money and run stock CM16s because that's all they can afford

b) don't want to spend a lot of money because they have different priorities

On the subject of grabbing other people's guns, it's a dick move and potentially dangerous as, apart from taking a bunch of bbs at point blank range, you risk breaking something. Not the main issue though.

• Supporters
35 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Not wearing deodorant

There's a lot of those kinda sinners, what's worse is most of them turn up smelling that bad at the start of the day lol 🤮 

For me it's a hard one, obviously non hit takers a the bane of us all, but a close second is the cheat callers, especially the really mouthy ones, thing is, I'd take a hit even if it's dubious whether it even touched me, ricochets etc, bout when some loudmouthed twat is screaming at you "take your hits you feckin cnut", & your positive nowt has touched you, you want tear them a new one 😠

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

The logic of having money for a game day and gear but not general hygiene astounds me.

Yep, £600 on a gun but haven't got £1.50 for a can of RightGuard.

#SkankyCnuts

28 minutes ago, Tackle said:

There's a lot of those kinda sinners, what's worse is most of them turn up smelling that bad at the start of the day lol 🤮r me it's a hard one, obviously non hit takers a the bane of us all, but a close second is the cheat callers, especially the really mouthy ones, thing is, I'd take a hit even if it's dubious whether it even touched me, ricochets etc, bout when some loudmouthed twat is screaming at you "take your hits you feckin cnut", & your positive nowt has touched you, you want tear them a new one 

My favourite one of these was a guy yelling at me that "you can't outrun a BB" after spraying through undergrowth at me as I ran at a right angle to him before ducking into cover and popping him in two shots

7 minutes ago, PopRocket123 said:

My favourite one of these was a guy yelling at me that "you can't outrun a BB" after spraying through undergrowth at me as I ran at a right angle to him before ducking into cover and popping him in two shots

My favourite, I was defending a building and had an excellent angle by the stairwell. I could clearly look down my gun and see the attackers running past the window trying to shoot in, but in order for a BB to hit me they would have needed to run all the way across, stop and aim at a very specific angle. I took so many out as they tried (even though quite a few carried on shooting in several seconds after they'd been hit), that out of frustration they were quoting the law of averages in order to try to convince me that by now I "must have been hit"

Not taking hits of course, but also overkill. The number of times I have called hit and still been shot again.

Or when you can't get out from behind a barricade after calling hit because some sexual inadequate with a support weapon is determined to empty his boxmag.

• Supporters
6 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

Personally, I don't really mind non hit taking because its so common place.  Its cheat calling that ruins atmosphere and days out and is worse I think.  Airsofters will all cheat at some point to some degree, accept it and move on.

one begets the other for the most part, although i guess you're talking about the exception which is the ones who'll mouth off even when they're missing by a country mile.

5 hours ago, Skara said:

"heh, my gnu costs €700 and it's the best thing ever, beats yours by a mile because it's the best fucking gun money can buy"

one of the fundamental rules of airsoft is the shiniest kit won't stop you getting winged from the bushes by some kid with a rental ak.

45 minutes ago, John_W said:

Not taking hits of course, but also overkill. The number of times I have called hit and still been shot again.

Or when you can't get out from behind a barricade after calling hit because some sexual inadequate with a support weapon is determined to empty his boxmag.

overkill is one of those real tricky ones.

as far as i'm concerned i don't call it overkill until i see that hand go up/hear that hit call, then if i fire again intentionally that's overkill, of course some folk seem to judge it as sending anything more than 1 bb at a time.

although shout out to the returning respawners who don't understand walking towards friendly lines without a hand raised makes them look just like the advancing enemy team people are expecting to have to shoot at....

People who keep shooting when I have my hand up and shouted HIT four times.........now that really pisses me off

• Supporters
29 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

People who keep shooting when I have my hand up and shouted HIT four times.........now that really pisses me off

Now that is overkill, unless you have a really quiet voice and really short arms.....

I once saw a rental MP5 blind fire over a chest tall wooden barricade, and was spraying his hi cap everywhere.

Obviously wasn't looking as he didn't realise what/who was grabbing his gun, and that in the kerfuffle, had removed his mag

• Supporters
14 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

although shout out to the returning respawners who don't understand walking towards friendly lines without a hand raised makes them look just like the advancing enemy team people are expecting to have to shoot at....

A minor sin, and a pet peeve, is third-team players.  "Right lads, we're doing an Escape from Tarkov thing, you've all played that, right? [Shakes head]  Well, some of the marshals and some players will be playing as scavs, you know what those are, right? [Shakes head again]  They'll be playing untaped. [Groans]"

You spend the whole day not just looking for the other team's tape, but very very carefully avoiding shooting at anyone without tape, then suddenly you have to make a split second guess if the untaped guy with a pistol who's just walked around the corner looking the other way is a marshal or a third-team player.

What do you do?  "I say, old fellow, would you might awfully if I shot you from behind, or would you prefer if I let you get the drop on me first?"

Not my favourite map.  No, sir, not my favourite map at all.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.