Hi From a New (Older) Airsofter.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all,

I'm new the forum and Airsoft but have experience with bows, air rifles, air pistols, even a little 'real steel' too. My intention is to start Airsoft skirmishing after lockdown in the central belt of Scotland...with my kids... I'm in my mid 40's, my daughter is 16 and my son (soon to be) 15. They've never skirmished either.

I was a bit hesitant at the idea of pointing anything resembling a gun at anything other than inanimate targets, it going against years of ingrained range safety. Just to make sure they and I would put up with getting shot at (and hit) I had the bright idea of getting a two tone, just to see. So... a little order to justbbguns and a few days later a nice shiny new blue/black co2 gbb pistol arrives (I may have gotten slightly carried away, what can I say, I like new 'toys') I field stripped it to see how it works, cleaned it, put it back together, went out and test fired it in the garden while the kids were plinking with their Airsoft springer pistols. Then we promptly decided to take turns shooting each other with the gbb pistol, with me down range first.

It stings.

The kids concur.

It didn't put them off.

I am not exactly what you would call 'fit' but I'm going to give it a try. They insist. I'm sure I'll have fun. So here we are.

A few questions though: 

My nearest outdoor skirmish site is Section 8 in Shotts (how appropriate).

Generally speaking, how long do game days last, 4 hours, 8 hours, more?

Besides the actual tools that we will hire what other equipment is advised? I'm thinking of what would be needed for a day hiking or fishing as a baseline such as food, drinks, and outdoor clothes. I tend to over equip and I have a feeling that unless I ask some people who are more knowledgeable I'll just bring.... everything (remember Hot Shots? The scene with all the equipment where he falls over? Yeah, that's me). 

How much of a barrier is it to participating in the sport being a somewhat overweight, middle aged, bespectacled idiot that lets himself be shot by his kids? I'd hate to be too much of a drag on a team.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Spoiler

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
4 minutes ago, Alex Arcano said:

A few questions though: 

My nearest outdoor skirmish site is Section 8 in Shotts (how appropriate).

Generally speaking, how long do game days last, 4 hours, 8 hours, more?

Besides the actual tools that we will hire what other equipment is advised? I'm thinking of what would be needed for a day hiking or fishing as a baseline such as food, drinks, and outdoor clothes. I tend to over equip and I have a feeling that unless I ask some people who are more knowledgeable I'll just bring.... everything (remember Hot Shots? The scene with all the equipment where he falls over? Yeah, that's me). 

How much of a barrier is it to participating in the sport being a somewhat overweight, middle aged, bespectacled idiot that lets himself be shot by his kids? I'd hate to be too much of a drag on a team.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Reveal hidden contents

Welcome!

Skirmish site: I've never played there (live in the South of England) but Section8 is a long established woodland site, with a good reputation I think. So you should have no problems playing there.

How long do game days last: Around 8 hours, yeah. Normally "gates open" time is 8am onwards, most sites aim to have the safety brief done at 9:30 with games starting from 10AM. It's rare to have one big game played throughout the day, instead you might play 2 or 3 shorter games, break for lunch, then another 2 after lunch. Games normally finish at 4-5PM.

Any other equipment?: Definitely bring food and drink, I'm not sure if Section 8 do their own lunches but with Covid19 etc. I'd err on the side of caution and make some sandwiches. Other than that, make sure to wear clothes you're happy might get muddy, or damaged. Another key thing is good walking boots with ankle support. Trainers or other footwear are generally not allowed, or heavily discouraged.

How much of a problem will we be?: No problem at all! The good thing about a "casual" game like a sunday skirmish (and not one of the more hardcore "milsim" style games) is that you can pretty much turn up and do whatever you want. You're not in the military, there are no orders, just objectives. You could go one way through the field in one life,respawn, go in a different direction. The main goal is to have fun, and most people will understand that.

Hope this helps! Ask away if you have other questions.

Thanks doctor! Sound advice.

I've been using German para boots for years on the motorbike so I'd planned on using them for myself, the kids have hiking boots with some support but I might see if there's a better option. Forgot to ask re stopping for food etc, are there normally organised 'breaks in play', catch a bite when you can or do you just step off the field whenever there's an opportune moment?

Welcome!   (Don't worry, 40's isn't old 😉)

Most games will be attack & defend scenarios and teams will switch roles afterwards. 

Adding to what Doc said, don't worry about teams and organisation in the game.

The most demanding physically is attacking. There will be groups of friends who stick together but generally everyone goes off in different directions :D

You'll probably not see your kids until the end of a game.  You certainly don't have to go running around with the young guns.  You can move in more cautiously and 'attack from the rear' ;)

Defending is obviously more static so easier physically.

Just rent everything for the first game so you have less to worry about.  Good boots with ankle support is highly recommended as most injuries are twisted ankles due to running on very uneven ground.

Each game is usually about 45 mins with a ~10min break between to rearm and drink some water/snack.

Varies with different sites but the ones I've been to - About 3-4 games before lunch and then 4-5 after lunch.

The 40's is the new 30's and the 50's is the new 40's! It's not a matter of how old you... Just turn up and have fun... You don't have to act like you're a private and in the Infantry... It really is damn good bloody fun and you can quickly figure out what playing style you like...

Also, you get to see what other players use and by all means talk to them and ask questions.... Don't be put off by one person saying he's kit is better than someone else kit... It's not all about Gucci kit... It's how you make the best of with what you got at hand. Obviously, there are levels of quality and reliability and hence cost.... and no doubt people will chime in with their views... 

First Kit: Boots! Comfy ankle safe boots....!

@Alex Arcano 👋

Welcome to the forum, people on here always keen to share knowledge and help! 😎👍

Good luck luck getting started and you all will have fun a time, stay safe! 😜👍

Just watch your wallet! 💷😂👍

💷GAMBLE💷

Welcome, mid 40's ? pah , youngster ! All the guys I game with regularly are 50 plus , some run around ( whatever running is ) some snipe 'cos they don't have to move much. Just aim to have fun, as an aside the folk I know who go with their kids often comment that being on the opposite team is fun 'cos shooting your own kids is payback time ! 

Airsofters are generally a friendly bunch , new players are in my experience welcomed, just play fair , call your hits and remember it's just a game and enjoy yourselves .

Thanks for all the advice, i was planning on hiring a variety of equipment the first few times, including the full face gear that's required for my kids. The nearest indoor cqb site requires them too so that's something I might just buy fairly soon. My old surplus German para boots are a good shape for me with ample padding (blinking heavy though). I've walked too many miles in them to count, and they are fairly water resistant so long as I'm not standing in a puddle that's too deep, they even survived a brief dip in the sea without letting in any water when I slipped getting to a nice fishing spot. Glad to hear it's usually a good bunch of folks, I'm not worried about my daughter, she's a little tough nut, but as far as my wallet is concerned I think it's wilting just at the thought of all the new toys available. And thanks for all for the comforting words about comparative age and general fitness. 😁

As to rolls, my daughter fancies sniping (not sure she has the patience for that though), the boy will probably like to spray and pray a bit more so maybe an assault type roll for him. As for me... Good question, I'll figure it out once I recover from multiple painful deaths and respawns. 😏

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure you and your dustbins will love it Alex.just to echo what people have already said,we are a friendly bunch of deluded misfits living out our private realities.lol

Have fun fella🙂

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • Head Moderator

Welcome :).

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.