Novritsch Ssg24 Vs Upgraded Gspec to Same Value

Groot

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

In the next month or so, I will be in the market to buy a new sniper. 

I had a Gspec, loved it and I regret selling it. But hey ho.

So while my first thought was to buy another one, I have seen Novritsch pop up a few times. While I have watched lots of reviews, they are all a bit biased as they are either a rep or it their rifle. 

So what would be the better of the two?

Gspec, I can probably pick up for around £210 and that leaves £240 for upgrades.

Vs

Novritsch SSG24 out of the box, ready to go with apparently all the bits i will never need already installed. 

So, Sniper Gurus. What do you say?

Good/Bad/Other/Better Route is etc

( Also is the SSG24 much heavier than the Gspec? )

Don't bother with a TM Gspec, there's no need to get one of those unless you're limited to 1 joule and don't need to modify out of the box. The only reason I got one years back is because the better clones were out of stock and I was impatient! Better option is to get a clone like a JG Bar 10, Cyma (700 I think - can't remember off the top of my head), or even an Action Army T10/T11 for a bit more which comes with a 90 degree trigger and piston out of the box (looks pretty cool as well - though I'm not sure on the differences between T10 and T11 - Edit: looks to basically be aesthetics). Clone quality has come a long way in recent years in regards to how they feel on the outside and you'll be ripping the insides out of a bolty anyways (especially a TM as it'll shit the bed as soon as you want to up the power).

I wouldn't bother with an SSG10, admittedly they're good out of the box but if you have even an ounce of teching ability you'll be better off money wise by building your own. They come with generic brass barrels as standard, Nov's customer support is very hit and miss (I've heard both positive and negative things, nothing seems consistent).

If I personally were building right now from scratch it'd probably be a T10/T11, relevant spring, maple leaf MR rubber, action army hop unit, panthera nub and a nice barrel like a PDI or Laylax/Prometheus - along with some decent heavyweight BBs (I'd personally recommend Geoffs / BLS) - Edit: Looks like the T10/11 can benefit from a nicer piston and spring guide so I'd grab those as well. I'd also suggest checking out airsoftsniperforum, wealth of knowledge on there to help with building and potential purchase ideas - what's compatible with what, etc, etc.

The choice seems obvious to me.

The SSG-24 (along with the SSP-1, SSX-23, SSG-10 and the upcoming SSX-303 and SSR-15), on paper, is one of the best sniper rifles you can buy.

But between what the advert says and what you really get, there is an abyss that's deeper than the Challenger Deep.

The one thing that makes Nov's products crap is the quality control. You may get a good one that'll last for a long time, but you may also get a lemon, and that's where the troubles really start. You may only have some slight quirks here and there, easily fixed with some basic teching skills, or you may have a completely shit, unuseable €400+ wall hanger.

On top of that, dealing with Nov's customer support is a nigthmare, most likely they'll tell you you're not pulling the bolt right when there's all sorts of manufacturing residues in the cylinder and your piston is fucked because of that, or that you're using bad quality BBs when the trigger sear is made of metal plated shit and snaps on its first pull. Not worth imo.

The VSR platform, imo, is still the golden standard for airsoft sniping.

There is one question that is always asked when a new rifle comes out: "IS IT AS GOOD AS A TUNED VSR?"

Platform is old, it's been around for over 20 years, yet the best rifles are built on that platform (and guess what? the latest Nov rifle is a VSR, who would have thought :D).

Plenty of upgrades available, for literally every budget imaginable, you can spend very little and have a good sniper, or go full ham dropping more than 1k and have the Ferrari of airsoft bolt actions.

So, to answer (and possibly give a bit of advice) your question:

VSR, no doubt.

Don't get a TM though, there are sturdier designs out there (Cyma for example, Action Army) which cost less than TM.

Plus you're going to gut it anyway, so I don't see the point of paying for premium internals that are going to be binned. Don't fall into the TM Recoil Syndrome.

Be aware that some clones have a slightly smaller cylinder than TM, so that may need replacing too or a smaller diametre piston.

The AA line of rifles seems to be really good for the price (personally eyeing the T-11) and already comes with decent quality parts that will last (bar the piston, it's entirely made of polymer, which is kinda fine for a 1J build, but definitely will wear out faster when going 2J+) and being 100% vsr compatible, will still give you an infinite range of upgrades.

EDIT: you won't find shit on the T-11 online, but keep in mind, as @Shaydee says, that it's just the T-10 (so internally they're the exact same thing) with a more classic stock and a lower (by around €80) price point. So go look at T-10 reviews

• Supporters

id suggest against the ssg variants, because if your aim is to have a good consistent and accurate gun then it's better to work for it, tinkering and experimenting to get the best results is part of the process and in do doing you'll gain an understanding for what works and what doesn't which means when things start wearing out and going wrong, you'll be in a much better position to deal with it.

value aside even if we assume you get one of nov's tuesday morning guns (after the weekend hangover's worn off) and it shoots great, it won't do that forever.

now wether or not the gspec is the right platform, well i'm inclined to agree with the guys above that if you're going to be chopping and changing bits then there's less sense putting money into the gun up front as opposed to a cheaper clone with compatible parts.

Thanks all for your replies.

So which of the china TMs is the best one to go for then?
How do i find out if it does have a smaller cylinder?

The logic of getting the TM as a build, is that people state the tolerances of the china soft-guns can be a little meh.
The AA guns look great but are the same price as Gspec afaik and I would be replacing the same parts. 
Trigger, Cylinder, Piston and internals and hop. 

Tolerances don't matter when you replace everything anyway lol.

I know for sure that Well uses a smaller cylinder, not sure about JG. Although if you're getting a new cylinder anyway it's irrelevant. Also don't buy Well, they have some proprietary parts and the quality is awful (yep they're cheaper than dirt, but there's a reason for that).

AA Triggers and Cylinders are perfectly serviceable imo, while it's true that the base gun has a similar price to a TM, when you factor in the cost of a 90° trigger (€100 on average) and the cost/hassle of drilling out the pins on the TM cylinder to crack it open, the AA wins in price/amount-of-stuff-you-get ratio.

Plus the stock AA chamber doesn't look half bad, you already get a concave tensioner (yep, ML/R-Hop ready from the factory), no need to replace it right away.

Also, if you go for a Joule Creep build (so heavy piston, correct cylinder/barrel volume ratio, a somewhat tight bore, heavy as fucc bbs) you can afford to use a lighter spring than what you'd be using (say a M120 instead of a M150), putting even less stress on the trigger..

Again, don't fall into the TM Recoil Syndrome.

49 minutes ago, Skara said:

Again, don't fall into the TM Recoil Syndrome.

What is this?

1 minute ago, Groot said:

What is this?

followed by this

TL;DR

Buy an expensive gun that's completely fine, replace all the good parts with equal quality parts, spending even more money, to end up with the same performance you had in the first place.

I'd say go even cheaper and get a 2nd hand VSR/BAR.

You're going to replace anything that might break anyway, so why put money into a new one.

You should be able to find one off someone that loves(/loved) the idea of sniping, bought one and got bored before they even left the house

Great info all round, but the whole TM Recoil Syndrome...

There must be a lot of people building shit TM Recoils if they are not improving on them.

Yes they are great OOTB, but that isn't the end of the road.

A standard one sure as hell cant hit a torso target at 65M consistently.

Back on track pick any of the guns above as a platform to up from, you're only considerations are cost and aesthetic, they all have the right aftermarket parts available.

The ultimate end result is down to you though, this is theoretically where the Nov' 'should' negate this factor.

SSG10??

Grabs the pre-upgraded aspect and then applies it to a VSR bdy and weight that you seem inclined to? Then just use the spare cash to upgrade or replace and bits you feel you need to as time goes on.

7 minutes ago, Steveocee said:

Then just use the spare cash to send it back and buy a real VSR

FTFY

1 hour ago, Steveocee said:

£450 budget should be looking at SRS 16" Sport with an M150 and a couple of spare mags

/thread

Oh that is pretty. So if i read it right, it is ready to go ( bar the spring for extra pew ) out of the box?

Do you have one? How do you find the reverse cocking while prone?

32 minutes ago, Groot said:

Oh that is pretty. So if i read it right, it is ready to go ( bar the spring for extra pew ) out of the box?

Do you have one? How do you find the reverse cocking while prone?

SRS is my primary sniper (I have a VSR as a backup).

Yes ready to go out the box, just need a beefier spring (FWIW I'd buy a Rapax 2J not the Silverback M150 but thats more £20 than £12).

Cocking is fine, yeah it's a little odd at first but you get used to it. Rarely I am prone though, much more of an "on my feet" kind of sniper.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.