What Are the Do's and Don'ts of Uniform/Camos Etc?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, leadly said:

fair enough, i've seen some stuff with red speckles which would be oh so effective if it weren't for aforementioned red speckles.

that looks like a coarser flecktarn, which we all know is the best camo ever.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, daltonwilliams said:

I was thinking of going for a Vietnam war era US soldier outfit, also considered a British Falklands era outfit but felt that would have been more of a no-no than the Vietnam era outfit due to the amount of ex British service members who use airsofts sites.

Yeah I understand  you,  I'd never claim to be someone I'm not if you get what I mean.

Wear what you like, including Falklands era loadouts, just don't wear cap badges or other regimental insignia, it does often cause offence.

I could wear my regt beret/badge, but I don't, we're playing at this & wouldn't want to feel I'd disrespected my comrades service while playing silly buggers with toy guns.

• Supporters

Ive got like 23 patterns I can run. Its all about balancing what looks good to you, what works in your environment, and what you can afford. 

For instance - I love Tropentarn, aka German Desert. However its expensive and does not work in the South East US at all. 

German Flecktarn works extremely well, and is much more affordable and common than Tropentarn. However I dont care too much for the pattern.

Kryptek Highlander is affordable, works great in the environment, and I like the pattern - so for the longest time that was what I ran.

However sometimes camo can be about making a statement. ACU doesn't blend with anything other than concrete. M81 Pink doesnt blend at all. MC Black or Kryptek Typhon look ace but really only work indoors/in the dark. Pick something you like and can afford, and youll be happy.

And yes, I own all the patterns above and more.

1 hour ago, osteoshot said:

I know it's oh so 90's of me but DPM is still more effective than multi glam in the uk woodland environment 

So much this.  The english countryside is too green for it.  Its almost as if modern camo is more geared towards arid environments while old 90s DPM was for cold war europe.

For me, my best camo for concealment is russian digital flora (see profile pic).  Multi cam is too tan(?) And too light for our woodland.  Its fairly good for dry long grass though.

Bank balance saving tip: if your like me, you will get into building uniforms around certain guns.  Then as your pew collection grows so does your gear and so the cost rises.  PMC is a good alternative style for gear as it can be any type of camo and any gun you want.

The golden rule is get what you like the look of, just don't start thinking you are what you're dressing up as. (Don't be a Walt)

Some may question insignia and badges but as long as you're not claiming you earned them that should appease most but not all. 

12 hours ago, osteoshot said:

Don't let me catch you wearing these unless you earnt them!!!

image.jpeg.059a5bce16f05979acc79c0b0f9f4f5c.jpeg

You have a fair point I will stick to my wheel house and get some of these.

145-1450353_pokemon-badge-case-kanto-pok

Being a proud Irishman this is what I run mainly at the moment, and the parka jacket is freaking awesome bit of kit

What camo pattern does Ireland use? - Quora

Honestly, I wouldn't even mind if you did wear Regt Insignia or what have you if your just trying to be true to a specific era/Unit/Conflict.

Start spinning dits about your heroics with the SLR on Mt Tumbledown and you'll likely upset a few folk, but I don't/wouldn't have any issue with anyone wearing insignia if they've researched and understood what it is there wearing and why.

37 minutes ago, Liam1992 said:

Honestly, I wouldn't even mind if you did wear Regt Insignia or what have you if your just trying to be true to a specific era/Unit/Conflict.

Start spinning dits about your heroics with the SLR on Mt Tumbledown and you'll likely upset a few folk, but I don't/wouldn't have any issue with anyone wearing insignia if they've researched and understood what it is there wearing and why.

I know some people don't mind it but obviously it would upset some people therefore Im probably going to stay away from specific regiments/units insiginias/patches/berets etc just to be inclusive and trouble free. I'd never want to say I've done/earned X when I haven't either, people who do that are totally disrespectful to the people involved.

15 hours ago, daltonwilliams said:

I know some people don't mind it but obviously it would upset some people therefore Im probably going to stay away from specific regiments/units insiginias/patches/berets etc just to be inclusive and trouble free. I'd never want to say I've done/earned X when I haven't either, people who do that are totally disrespectful to the people involved.

Totally understand, but to have served in the Falklands you need to be getting on for 60 now; so assuming your a couple of decades younger than that, I'd be surprised if anyone called you out for walting by throwing on a maroon lid, but totally understand your reasons for not doing.

A Beret/Unit Flash and Medals are totally different; medals I couldn't forgive (and you'd be surprised what's on eBay unfortunately) but a bit of insignia (especially of a conflict your age clearly suggests you weren't part of) I wouldn't say is an issue. 

• Moderators

As all have said, wear what you want but with in limits!. Dont worry what others say, your there to shoot plastic at each other, camo, tbh, very very rarely does a lot anyway, its just for looks, you just need to be comfortable in it :)

Military 1st has a discount (or did) on mulitcam/camogrom type camo.....mtp, so might be worth a look

Im currently wearing Pencott greenzone trousers with either black or coyote ubacs.....no wonder my kids look at me oddly....:lol:

On 13/07/2020 at 14:42, Shaydee said:

The do's? Do what you want. The dont's? Don't listen to anyone who shits on what you like.

Get what you think looks cool to you. Plenty of people do impression kits and the like, in reality as long as you're not pretending to be someone in active service or goose stepping a full SS outfit with swastikas out the whazoo nobody is really going to care.

This, all day this...

• Supporters
18 hours ago, Liam1992 said:

You might not have an issue, but most guys who've served have a deep seated respect for their regiment & it's history, as well as memories, both good & bad, of their service, & to turn up at an Airsoft game only to see somebody behaving like like a dick while wearing their beret & capbadge, it's gonna trigger something.

& before you say it's not that likely, it happened to me, young guy behaving like a total asshat, hair literally halfway down his back & rgj beret/badge worn "Frank Spencer" style.........not cool😠.

On 15/07/2020 at 10:55, Tackle said:

You might not have an issue, but most guys who've served have a deep seated respect for their regiment & it's history, as well as memories, both good & bad, of their service, & to turn up at an Airsoft game only to see somebody behaving like like a dick while wearing their beret & capbadge, it's gonna trigger something.

& before you say it's not that likely, it happened to me, young guy behaving like a total asshat, hair literally halfway down his back & rgj beret/badge worn "Frank Spencer" style.........not cool😠.

I'll reword it slightly; I wouldn't be offended if you wore my Corps insignia if you were doing it with the knowledge of what you were representing.

But, like I say, I may be in the minority being of that view.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Liam1992 said:

I'll reword it slightly; I wouldn't be offended if you wore my Corps insignia if you were doing it with the knowledge of what you were representing.

But, like I say, I may be in the minority being of that view.

Unfortunately there are some that will take offense. Full stop. Either because they put a lot of hard work in to getting "badged", some because of their experiences, & sometimes their personal losses while serving.

thing is, irrespective of my regimental loyalty, there was a term often bandied about between regiments, CRAPHAT, essentially a derogatory term against anyone from a different regiment than your own, & I fucking hated it, I can honestly say I never met anyone I didn't like from other regiments, even some of the para twats, it's not their fault, they've been brainwashed lol, so I guess I probably wouldn't like seeing someone walting it up or being a dick in any genuine Brit army insignia, they've all got massive history & commitment.

anyway, why would you need insignia to play airsoft, it's about shooting plastic at each other, & nothing else, if people want to wear kit to that level, join up, regs or reserves, or maybe a reenactment group & show it the respect it deserves ?

Ah I see that's where we see things slightly differently; walting and re-enacting through a faithful representation are different things in my view. 

Now, walting, I absolutely couldn't stand for.

But yes, in reality there's no need for it, but for some it's part of the immersive experience; would you object to someone wearing a 101st Airborne Division flash on a 2nd World War outfit, for example? Is that as bad as a Para lid on a Goose Green outfit?

Good points all.

You need to think about what the statute of limitations is on this, does having a 3x great grandfather who fought at Salamanca mean nobody can wear an original Rifles uniform in a Sharpe cosplay or a grandad at Passchendale or dad who was on Sword beach at D-Day +5?

Offence can be found in a lot of places nowadays, what if you had mates who worked on CP jobs in Iraq 20 years ago, does that mean 5.11 keks, polo shirts and Oakleys are off limits?

Don't pretend to be someone you are not and don’t wear anything you think might upset someone who worked hard to get it and you’ll be grand.

I’m pretty sure that someone, somewhere, will be offended at airsofters wearing surplus issue kit but fuck that guy, his opinion is worthless.

The golden rule of life is: Don’t be a dick. 

No unit badges (except of course for fictional ones, airsoft team badges etc), because:

- If you didn’t earn them, you shouldn’t wear them because you’re effectively identifying as serving or ex military personnel from certain deployments when you’re not (and a fair few servicemen and women enjoy a day of airsoft)

- If you did earn them, you shouldn’t wear them because you’re effectively identifying as military or ex military personnel outside of duties which especially since the Lee Rigby case has been a no no.

You’d be hard pressed to find someone get angry at you for wearing a boonie hat with PRICE written on the back with an SAS insignia. Judgement will be passed on your facial hair though. As with all things, consideration is at the heart of it all. 

With that out the way, I’d probably start off by saying MTP and Multicam are poorly suited to the woodland of the U.K. Most effective camo choices here are Flecktarn, Kryptek Mandrake and Tiger Stripe.

There is definitely a stigma around “tracksuit and hoodie” players, since that’s what’s worn by most players who are just on a teenagers day out birthday party, rather than being regular airsoft players, as the teens on a day out are generally the most frequent offenders for cheating and poor sportsmanship, so that kind of attire has gained an association with a bad player.

My first airsoft clothing was black cargo trousers and a dark green t shirt from Matalan and it served me just fine - lotsa pockets on the trousers for empty and spare mags, and not blindingly obvious upper body colour.

And remember kids, camouflage is pointless when you have a bright orange M4, so don’t fuss too much and just enjoy the game.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.