What Are the Do's and Don'ts of Uniform/Camos Etc?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Went to my first Skirmish last weekend, thoroughly enjoyed myself. I turned up in tracksuit bottoms and a long blue t shirt, while almost everyone else there was camouflaged in a way. So I don't stick out like a sore thumb next time I go I'd like to invest in a uniform of some sort. What I want to know though, is it okay to recreate the outfits of soldiers from certain wars/times/countries etc or is that frowned upon? I don't really want to annoy or offend people, just want peoples opinions so I can make the morally correct decision.  

@daltonwilliams 👋

For your first BDU (Battle Dress Uniform), get what you want, depending on your budget? 🤔💷

I personally have a small collection of BDU camos! 😜👍
Hope this helps and what did you have in mind? 🤔

💷GAMBLE💷

8 minutes ago, daltonwilliams said:

Went to my first Skirmish last weekend, thoroughly enjoyed myself. I turned up in tracksuit bottoms and a long blue t shirt, while almost everyone else there was camouflaged in a way. So I don't stick out like a sore thumb next time I go I'd like to invest in a uniform of some sort. What I want to know though, is it okay to recreate the outfits of soldiers from certain wars/times/countries etc or is that frowned upon? I don't really want to annoy or offend people, just want peoples opinions so I can make the morally correct decision.  

You can wear what you want, just don't be tempted to wear insignia or awards etc. Just the Clothing is fine. If the clothing has integrated name tags then that is usually fine as well. I run French Foreign legion kit, I can wear a beret no problem, but just not the badge that goes on it. 

Badges/Insignia, nope, you didn't earn them.

Choose what you like, or what fits your environment the best, but be aware that the stitch counters will always be annoyed by X period uniform and Y period chest rig being worn together :P

The do's? Do what you want. The dont's? Don't listen to anyone who shits on what you like.

Get what you think looks cool to you. Plenty of people do impression kits and the like, in reality as long as you're not pretending to be someone in active service or goose stepping a full SS outfit with swastikas out the whazoo nobody is really going to care.

In reality the biggest help to concealment in airsoft is knowing when to stand still and not silhouetting. Plenty of times I've just crouched in the middle of a woodland site and had people 10-15 metres away (or less) just walk past.

26 minutes ago, GAMBLE said:

@daltonwilliams 👋

For your first BDU (Battle Dress Uniform), get what you want, depending on your budget? 🤔💷

I personally have a small collection of BDU camos! 😜👍
Hope this helps and what did you have in mind? 🤔

💷GAMBLE💷

I was thinking of going for a Vietnam war era US soldier outfit, also considered a British Falklands era outfit but felt that would have been more of a no-no than the Vietnam era outfit due to the amount of ex British service members who use airsofts sites.

22 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

You can wear what you want, just don't be tempted to wear insignia or awards etc. Just the Clothing is fine. If the clothing has integrated name tags then that is usually fine as well. I run French Foreign legion kit, I can wear a beret no problem, but just not the badge that goes on it. 

Yeah I understand  you,  I'd never claim to be someone I'm not if you get what I mean.

@daltonwilliams

Fair enough, if that’s what you want, look into it! 👍

I’ve seen people dressed up as GI Vietnam soldiers (not a lot!), haven’t seen a Falklands one (Maybe the early DPM camo?)! 🤔
Just watch your wallet! 💷😜

💷GAMBLE💷

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, daltonwilliams said:

a British Falklands era outfit

Leaky boots and one square of waxy toilet paper?

It'll all come down to the players at your local site, but I can't see anyone being bothered if you turn up in near 40 year old gear.  Consider that the Falklands war was closer to WW2 than today.

I'd be a bit disappointed to see everyone at a site wearing camo, to be honest.

• Supporters

as with the others, bdu and kit is pretty much fair game for whatever takes your fancy, but folk can take exception if you start wearing patches/insignia for specific units (particularly ones that are still active).

tbh anything that breaks up the sea of multicam is fine by me.

IMHO wear what you like when playing pretend just never claim to be anything you are not and you will be fine. 

You can look just as ally in some jeans and a polo top until you get yourself some combats :) I would prioritise Boots, some boot bands, a pair of Seal Skin and a pair of 100% wool socks before buying any other kit (other than good eye pro of course) if you intend to play outdoors.

20 minutes ago, GAMBLE said:

@daltonwilliams

Fair enough, if that’s what you want, look into it! 👍

I’ve seen people dressed up as GI Vietnam soldiers (not a lot!), haven’t seen a Falklands one (Maybe the early DPM camo?)! 🤔
Just watch your wallet! 💷😜

💷GAMBLE💷

Vietnam I think i'm going to start off with, get me into the swing of things, then if I enjoy that start on a Falklands Era one.

17 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

as with the others, bdu and kit is pretty much fair game for whatever takes your fancy, but folk can take exception if you start wearing patches/insignia for specific units (particularly ones that are still active).

tbh anything that breaks up the sea of multicam is fine by me.

19 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Leaky boots and one square of waxy toilet paper?

It'll all come down to the players at your local site, but I can't see anyone being bothered if you turn up in near 40 year old gear.  Consider that the Falklands war was closer to WW2 than today.

I'd be a bit disappointed to see everyone at a site wearing camo, to be honest.

Yeah that what I noticed, loads in multicam, few snipers in full ghillies which looked good. Got to give it to this one guy, turned up in full WW1 gear, gun as well, used a gasmask as facepro (think it was an airsoft designed fake made for facepro) had a whistle to sound off when we were playing attack/defend, even put his steel pot helmet on his bayonet and raised his gun to try and work out enemy postions, had a lot of repect for him.

@daltonwilliams

There you go, good luck getting started! 😁👍

Make sure to put some pics up! 😜

Then if you do a Falklands Loadout, you have to put that up as well! 😎👍

💷GAMBLE💷

• Supporters
Just now, daltonwilliams said:

Yeah that what I noticed, loads in multicam, few snipers in full ghillies which looked good. Got to give it to this one guy, turned up in full WW1 gear, gun as well, used a gasmask as facepro (think it was an airsoft designed fake made for facepro) had a whistle to sound off when we were playing attack/defend, even put his steel pot helmet on his bayonet and raised his gun to try and work out enemy postions, had a lot of repect for him.

you get all sorts, it's one of the things i love about this sport is seeing a wild west cowboy and someone in a deadpool onsie charging alongside all the "operator" types.

personally i like the russian stuff, very comfy and practical,  but it doesn't matter how much you go down one particular path there's always going to be a stitch counter who thinks it's not original enough.

falklands/nam aren't bad shouts for going down the impression route, different enough to break things up but not so wacky it becomes impractical.

If you are into historical airsoft, especially Vietnam and Cold War, check out the Gunman Airsoft events on Facebook.

As serving military I can only echo what others have said, don't wear patches or berets you haven't earned. Other than that knock yourself out.

I would invest in good boots and good eye protection first though.......

2 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

you get all sorts, it's one of the things i love about this sport is seeing a wild west cowboy and someone in a deadpool onsie charging alongside all the "operator" types.

personally i like the russian stuff, very comfy and practical,  but it doesn't matter how much you go down one particular path there's always going to be a stitch counter who thinks it's not original enough.

falklands/nam aren't bad shouts for going down the impression route, different enough to break things up but not so wacky it becomes impractical.

I love that people do their own thing, you can have so many different getups it's sometimes fun just to go to a game to see what everyone is setup with.

2 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

Yeah I'd say this is key, rolling an ankle or even just getting your feet wet isn't nice - and well, eyes, you only get one set of those!

7 minutes ago, GAMBLE said:

@daltonwilliams

There you go, good luck getting started! 😁👍

Make sure to put some pics up! 😜

Then if you do a Falklands Loadout, you have to put that up as well! 😎👍

💷GAMBLE💷

Cheers bud, i'll make sure to pop up some photos when I get around to it, probably take me a while but if anything it will stop me spending money on two tone guns before I get my UKARA defence sorted 😁

2 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

If you are into historical airsoft, especially Vietnam and Cold War, check out the Gunman Airsoft events on Facebook.

As serving military I can only echo what others have said, don't wear patches or berets you haven't earned. Other than that knock yourself out.

I'll have to take a look at that page, stuff like that does interest me.

Yeah I think im going to actively avoid berets and patches, last thing I want to do is come across as disrespectful to anyone involved.

Currently I'm using a set of steel toe cap safety boots with a set of goggles and a lower face mesh mask just to start me off with.

OD is best. Go full merc or PMC!

My opinion is buy whatever you want. I'll echo the sentiment about patches and stuff: don't wear what you haven't earned.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Musica said:

The MTP was so cheap but :(

I was so sad to not be able to see you wearing that. 😢

Nam impression is a good shout as there's quite a lot of variety available over that period.  Heck, black pyjamas and an AK is Nam.  Add a coolie hat to really enrage purists. ;)

Multi cam gloves and face mask, ranger green trousers, Partiz jacket all topped off with an  Atacs camo hood.

run this with an ak or 416, don’t know who it annoys more, the multiglam operators or the Russlovers  

I'll be rocking up to my first game on Saturday dressed in Polish Woodland camo. I really liked the look of it so thought why not!

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, leadly said:

I'll be rocking up to my first game on Saturday dressed in Polish Woodland camo. I really liked the look of it so thought why not!

That the stuff with the red flecks?

I would suggest getting standard issue multicam BDU's from your local surplus store to begin with. Can never go wrong with them. Who cares if everyone else wears them.

It's for battle, it's not Milan Fashion We... oh nevermind, I forgot, we're talking about Airsoft, sorry.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.