Picking a Tracer Unit Help

LiamT

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

so I've been looking into getting a tracer unit as I not only find them cool but also practical, for cqb especially but just to see where shots are landing, it will be going on my ICS CXP peleador C, the shorter barrel inside the hanguard means I have 1 of two choices, 

1 - smaller pistol tracer 

more likely to not hit it on things, cost ect

thinking acetech s/r or xcortech xt301

2 - buy a barrel extension and go for something bigger such as the acetech BT lighter 

which path should I go? I want reliability and if there are any other recommendations I would love to hear them! 

I went with the acetech lighter bt as it's also a chrono so if you don't have one of those yet it's handy and it does 11mm and 14mm ccw.  While laser bbs look awesome I found I was only giving my position away and it only frustrated me when I could clearly see my bbs land sometimes multiple back to back and the guy still doesn't take a hit.  So I stopped using it and have just been lending it out to my friends getting in to the hobby so they can try one out without spending the extra. The ammo costs a significant amount more as well so it ups the running cost. 

I've been using to different styles

this one on my AK, fits perfectly one the barrel

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/dytac-silencerco-blast-shield-acetech-airsoft-tracer-unit

and this one on my M4 which fits inside the handguard

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/emg-noveske-sound-hog-tracer-unit?pv=11959

they both have an acetech tracer unit inside

• Supporters

I'd caution against the pistol sized Acetech Lighter S.  I've seen three failed units (mine, and Workmate Eddy got a failure and then a failed replacement).  The upside is that Acetech do actually support their products and will replace them if they fail within a year.  But the downside is that you've got a failed tracer until you get the replacement, and you specified reliability.  This concern doesn't apply to all Acetechs, just the Lighter S.

The cheapest option is to DIY a hop up tracer unit with some UV LEDs and a buck regulator or resistors, but that's not for everyone.

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I'd caution against the pistol sized Acetech Lighter S.  I've seen three failed units (mine, and Workmate Eddy got a failure and then a failed replacement).  The upside is that Acetech do actually support their products and will replace them if they fail within a year.  But the downside is that you've got a failed tracer until you get the replacement, and you specified reliability.  This concern doesn't apply to the Acetechs, just the Lighter S.

The cheapest option is to DIY a hop up tracer unit with some UV LEDs and a buck regulator or resistors, but that's not for everyone.

thanks for the advice, I think I'll have to go with the bt and a barrel extension as my main concern was the reliability of with smaller tracers, guess I'll just have to get used to the longer barrel so I don't knock it at all 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, LiamT said:

thanks for the advice, I think I'll have to go with the bt and a barrel extension

Probably for the best. The small Xcortech XT301 is also reputably fragile, and has an 11mm CW thread as standard with a 14mm CCW adaptor which can look a bit weird.

The pistol tracers are great while they work, but they do seem to like not working.  I'm not sure why, it could be that they're over-powering the LEDs since there's only 4 of them in there to light up a BB that's travelling at 300fps+.  It's amazing that they manage it at all.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Probably for the best. The small Xcortech XT301 is also reputably fragile, and has an 11mm CW thread as standard with a 14mm CCW adaptor which can look a bit weird.

The pistol tracers are great while they work, but they do seem to like not working.  I'm not sure why, it could be that they're over-powering the LEDs since there's only 4 of them in there to light up a BB that's travelling at 300fps+.  It's amazing that they manage it at all.

yeah gonna be tough getting used to like 150mm barrel though haha but it will hopefully give better results 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.