Grenades

2RIR

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Alright everyone hope all is safe and enjoying airsoft one again. I've a few questions for you about grenades & goggles/glasses so, over here in northern Ireland some sites don't let you use pyrotechnics indoors and some do, but I've been told that all gas grenades like the eraz and  storm are all good to go so my question is, 

1) what are your opinions on what is the best gas grenade to get. 

2)have any of you used them. 

As for my other query what are your opinions for anti fog, I've been told soap, toothpaste etc but does any of these actually work, I use my ess v12s I was issued in the army but even with the ventilation in them they still fog. Thanks for your time, look forward to hearing from you. 

• Supporters

1- none, not heard of any gas grenade being decent/reliable long term, if there is one i'd like to know.

2- directly i've used the ai burst xl (which like the 40-mike promises much but delivers at best 50% success) and the thunder b (which is amazing when it works, but it very rarely works)

Pretty much everyone i see using pyro on a regular basis is using bfg's or disposable and i reckon there's a damn good reason for that.

Antifog is somewhat the same, revision wipes are the best i've used but are not infallable, these days i just hope for a breeze or accept i'll end up blind by the end of a game from fog.

Had a gas grenade thrown at me once, can’t remember exact make but one of the widely sold ones and I didn’t even know it had gone off. Saw some bbs randomly fly around and didn’t feel if any of them hit me, couldn’t see where grenade landed so had no idea whether to take the hit or not. 

After 3 seconds of thinking, I didn’t take it (normally do when in doubt) because quite frankly if anything is so shit as an impact on the game I ain’t missing out on playing for it!!! 

Can recommend TRMR blank firing ‘nade, especially with multishot base. 

From my research...

Green gas ones are not very reliable and as Jim said, very underpowered.

Co2 gas grenades are out. Very expensive to run, unreliable timing and from what I've seen also quite dangerous.  (If one goes off in the hand it can do serious damage)

Most common are the MK5 Thunderflash pyro grenades. Reliable, relatively cheap and throwable.

Best reusable ones are blank firing. (BFG)

You can get 2 types: Timed or impact (Most sites require that these must be thrown underhand below waist level. Still good to roll down a corridor or into a room)

Personally I prefer timed and there are 2 contenders but only one is really available now.

Dynatex

- SWAT VTG (You can only find second hand.  Do NOT try to buy one from the SWAT site)

They both work the same and there are plenty of videos showing their use.

The 209 primers used in the Dynatex are very cheap and loud enough to let anyone within range know they've been 'hit'

As for fogging, I'm going to try a solution I've seen plenty of times on motorcycle forums..... Shaving foam 😆   Wipe on and then wipe off with a cloth/towel.  It leaves a chemical film which prevents condensation build up.  Will be interesting to test

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Co2 gas grenades are out. Very expensive to run, unreliable timing and from what I've seen also quite dangerous.  (If one goes off in the hand it can do serious damage)

Had a thunder b go off in a mates hand once and whilst it smarted some it didnt break the skin or do any real damage and that was without gloves.

However that also demonstrates the point that they can slow-det when given a hard enough jolt. They can also fail to burst leaving you with it ready to go at any moment and i guarantee it'll only burst the moment you bend down to pick it up (ask me how i know).

However the rest of that statement is bang on the money; they're expensive and the det time is anywhere from 0.5s to just venting gas and never bursting.

Like i said above, when they do work properly they're amazing, and loud as you like, but that'll be a very rare occasion.

The problem i have with bfg's is the same problem i have with all reusable grenades- you gotta go pick it up after and hope it hasnt been pinched in the interim.

That's good to know.  I saw a video which of course I can't find now which showed a cut from one of those going off in some ones hand.  Maybe they were holding it tight which would do more damage.

Yeah, still a bad choice for expense and reliability.

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, EDcase said:

That's good to know.  I saw a video which of course I can't find now which showed a cut from one of those going off in some ones hand.  Maybe they were holding it tight which would do more damage.

Yeah, still a bad choice for expense and reliability.

It is possibly my mate just got lucky, but the key point is he still has all his fingers.

Cheers for the info might just stick to the pyrotechnics more fun anyway. As for the anti fog I'll let you know, I'm at a skirmish on Wednesday night so I'm gonna try a few things and see what works, then I'll let you know. 

I have tried the old shaving foam/tooth paste thing and it might have worked for 15 seconds.

Buy googles or a mask with a thermal/dual pane lens.

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

dual pane lens.

tried the pyramex dual panes and man there's a weird reflection thing going on with them, as distracting as fog.

plus whilst they don't steam they still pick up condensation :(

3 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

tried the pyramex dual panes and man there's a weird reflection thing going on with them, as distracting as fog.

plus whilst they don't steam they still pick up condensation :(

It’s like looking through a rain soaked window. I prefer it to fog but I’m very pleased I came across Bolle X800s, they vent as well as anything, I’m very impressed. 

Though, having read a bit and been impressed with what I’ve read, I might be tempted to give Heroshark a message before autumn rolls around in Scotland. 

• Supporters
24 minutes ago, Ropeyshep said:

It’s like looking through a rain soaked window. I prefer it to fog but I’m very pleased I came across Bolle X800s, they vent as well as anything, I’m very impressed. 

Though, having read a bit and been impressed with what I’ve read, I might be tempted to give Heroshark a message before autumn rolls around in Scotland. 

i normally run bolle raiders and hope for a breeze, wish i could remember who made the ones with the inbuilt wire heater because at this point i'm at a loss.

I've tried a few grenades; Cyclone, Burst XL, ASG Storm 360, TRMR and Dynatex. Frankly I've been thinking of selling all the gas ones for a while; they're just not reliable and the BB spray ones are flat out worthless. Actually the only one of the bunch I genuinely like is the Dynatex; never failed once, just a little awkward to load and pull the pin. 

Goggles-wise my Dye i4s never fog so I don't need antifog. My partner has X800 and struggles with it but finds revision wipes effective. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.