Using Camo Wrap on 2 Tone Guns and Pre UKARA Guns?

qyuubi786

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

What are the rulings for using camo wrap on 2 tone guns? Having a mid range two tone aeg that I'm likely to upgrade. I assume that since it's not a semi-permanent alteration it's allowed?

I have 3 pre UKARA pistols. Do they need painting or proof of purchase when taking it to the field? 

• Supporters

The law is that "[modifying] an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm" is an offence, see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/36

There's no distinction between permanent and temporary.  The offence is committed each and every time that you do it.

Doing so for airsoft use is a defence.  If you've got a skirmish booked at a site, I'd argue that you're good to go since the defence is about future intentions, not past behaviour.  However, it would be better if you've played, and are booked to play again. And best if you've played at least three times over at least two months, and got UKARA or equivalent.

Other opinions are available, this is not legal advice, and I'd stress that the defence is on you to adduce, so "intending to book" won't cut it.

If you already have RIFs, those are good. You don't have to do a thing to them, as ownership isn't an offence.

However, being in possession of any imitation firearm, realistic or otherwise, in a public place is an offence, see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/19

So whenever you're on your way to or from an airsoft skirmish, have details of where you're going, or where you've been to hand.  This applies to everyone, regardless of whether we have UKARA or not - what matters is the reason for being in possession at the time when it comes to the attention of the State.

I've been doing archery for 2 years and airgun shooting for 7 years. I apply the same rules of public exposure (null). Like with all shooting related hobbies everyone dreads to hear the news of some idiot being stupid and ruining it for everyone else, fearing that we would lose the right to enjoy the sport. 

• Supporters

Then you'll be fine.  Nobody at an airsoft site is going to care whether you have two-tone or RIFs, or how you got either of them.  The only way that modification is going to be an issue is if you're already come to the attention of the State, at which point your problem is the S19 offence. And you already know the score with that from airgun shooting - just be prepared to explain why you're in possession.  Beyond that, it's all good.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.