Ahoy, You Lovely Cheaters, Griefers, Walts and Paintballers-in-denial

Rogerborg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Since lockdown turned off the fun tap, I found I couldn't bear to talk or even think about airsoft without being able to play, thus the absence.  It's not you, it's me.

But with the latest Scotch.gov announcement today being as clear as mud about when our indoor-outdoor-contact-non-contact-sports-hobby-event will be allowed to restart, I've finally cracked.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Phew.

What have I been doing?  Dreaming about airsoft (really), and getting my tech on.  DIYing mosfets, a surprising number of which haven't shorted out yet.  Upgrading this, optimising the other, dialling everything in to 340-ish FPS.  Tracer hop units. Getting my project CYMA M4 back into working order and discovering that the stock gearbox and motor are actually pretty decent if you get them shimmed, lubed and well fed with electrons.  Even shoehorning a 1200mAh lipo and mosfet into an over-sprung AEP and getting some pretty snappy response out of it at 250fps.

The one failure so far is the lonnnnng V3 trigger pull on my MP5K, which has defeated better bodgers than me. It's a fine balancing act of quicker contact vs non-cutting cut-off, but it looks like I'll have more time to work on it now. 😢

Well, I'll go and check what you reprobates have been up to. Nothing sensible, I trust.

Welcome back Geeeeeezer!

Oh just went and got another TM recoil.... that's it...

Oh Macks been on fire too.... we have been imparting our advice and wisdom to dreamers....

And who the fuck is this guy?

Anyone ever saw him?

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i'm hurt, i guess?

lockdown has really fucked with my ability to remember anything :P

I'm the grumpy, pedantic one.

I know, that doesn't narrow it down much in airsoft. ;)

gutted my g&g rk-74e....................first time teching

fucked off the g&g mosfet and fitted a perun

new 16.1 gears (shimmed right on the 5th try) :D

30k infinity motor

everything replaced in the gearbox

formerly shooting 260 fps at 17rps

now shooting 340fps at 24rps

so far so good it hasn't destroyed itself

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

The one failure so far is the lonnnnng V3 trigger pull on my MP5K, which has defeated better bodgers than me. It's a fine balancing act of quicker contact vs non-cutting cut-off, but it looks like I'll have more time to work on it now. 😢

Gate Titan 🙄

Yeh lockdown just meant more work and less play ultimately... i still kid myself that itll all be over soon.

Still bought an MK23, M870, PPQ and MWS to quell the sorrow, but now my wallets giving me jip - whats a guy to do 😪

I knew there was a disturbance in the force but hadnt realised it was the lack of a hi vis vest :D

Still so jammy @L3wisD

For your mp5:

Gate Titan, sorbo pad with plenty of ptfe tape, R-Hop and then send it to Luke.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Skara said:

For your mp5:

Don't forget to completely fill the box with earwax and the barrel with dog hair.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, L3wisD said:

Stretch has noticed you've been missing, Borg.

He doesn't own me, he didn't get custardy.

I won a Marui USP in a raffle.. highlight of lockdown 😎

To cries of "Boo, fix!" ?

2 hours ago, strykerles said:

gutted my g&g rk-74e....................first time teching

[...]

so far so good it hasn't destroyed itself

Crikey, that's good going.  It's taken me a couple of years to get around to fixing what I'd "over optimised" in my M4.  I wonder how many toy gnus have been A) improved and B) ruined through frustrated idleness in the past couple of months.

Yeh lockdown just meant more work and less play ultimately... i still kid myself that itll all be over soon.

I don't want to get political... so I won't.  But yes, it's a bit of a drag.  I'm working from home and actually missing my motorcycle commute.

Still bought an MK23, M870, PPQ and MWS to quell the sorrow, but now my wallets giving me jip - whats a guy to do 😪

Upgrade them. :D

I knew there was a disturbance in the force but hadnt realised it was the lack of a hi vis vest :D

Eh, it's really been a case of avoiding temptation... otherwise I might have joined you in retail therapy (I need a gas shotgun in my life).  Although my UKARA's expired and I've very deliberately not asked about renewing it... 

Must be tough for retailers at the moment, I wonder if any of them are getting a bit... generous... with accepting defences.

1 hour ago, Skara said:

For your mp5:

I am thinking that optical might be the only way to deal with those Satanic two-piece triggers, although I'd likely cheap out on a T238 for under £30 delivered.

Or, as a genuine option, ask Luke if there's anything that can be done with the mechanical trigger.

33 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Don't forget to completely fill the box with earwax and the barrel with dog hair.

Cat whiskers and spunk (not cat spunk (probably)).

31 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I am thinking that optical might be the only way to deal with those Satanic two-piece triggers, although I'd likely cheap out on a T238 for under £30 delivered.

Or, as a genuine option, ask Luke if there's anything that can be done with the mechanical trigger.

I was actually being serious about the Titan. That and a microswitch of some sort (with a warfet hard wired into) are the only 2 ways (that I know of) to achieve a hair-like trigger response. Maybe a G&G v3 etu + perun upgrade kit (combined are almost as expensive as a titan, but hey, it's another option).

• Supporters
32 minutes ago, Skara said:

I was actually being serious about the Titan. That and a microswitch of some sort (with a warfet hard wired into) are the only 2 ways (that I know of) to achieve a hair-like trigger response. Maybe a G&G v3 etu + perun upgrade kit (combined are almost as expensive as a titan, but hey, it's another option).

And I'm seriously considering it.  However, it costs significantly more than the base gun and I wouldn't use most of the functionality.  I'm not even looking for a hair-trigger, just a shorter pull and and in particular reset for semi auto use.  With a mosfet wired in I got the required trigger pull down to a very small amount just by shimming the trigger to take out most of the V3 two-piece slop.  Which was great until I realised that the tension needs to come right off to allow the trolley to reset in semi-auto.

All that said, I improved it a fair bit by just placing pieces of cut up pencil eraser on the front and back of the trigger to limit its travel against the receiver both forwards and backwards, then gradually paring them down until it triggers and resets reliably, then gluing them place, which can be done when the gun is fully assembled.  I love a simple, cheap bodge.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Aussie Gel-Blaster?

Yup, that's what the T238 is sold for.  It seems like they're essentially the same as airsoft boxes, just abs or nylon shells and nylon gears.  There's nothing particularly wrong with nylon, really, if you're putting out about 1J.

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

There's nothing particularly wrong with nylon, really, if you're putting out about 1J.

i've seen enough shredded 1j boxes to doubt that....

6 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

There's nothing particularly wrong with nylon, really, if you're putting out about 1J.

except when you open a mate's JG M4 and find gear teeth all over the place. And they were made of metal..

• Supporters

Poorly shimmed gears in a slightly "rustic" box would strip just as well whether they're nylon or mystery-metal.

This is a personal hobby-horse of mine from when I had a Kawasaki GPz305 which had much maligned nylon gears driving the oil pump.  Yes, they oil-starved and seized up, but that was due to the inadequate the sump oil pickup tube with an e-z-clog filter, and the camshafts running directly in the head without bearings or even bushings (!).  I never once saw a picture of the stripped nylon gears that everyone assumed would be a problem, but could never seem to prove.

[URGE TO FIT NYLON GEARS INTENSIFIES]

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Poorly shimmed gears in a slightly "rustic" box would strip just as well whether they're nylon or mystery-metal.

This is a personal hobby-horse of mine from when I had a Kawasaki GPz305 which had much maligned nylon gears driving the oil pump.  Yes, they oil-starved and seized up, but that was due to the inadequate the sump oil pickup tube with an e-z-clog filter, and the camshafts running directly in the head without bearings or even bushings (!).  I never once saw a picture of the stripped nylon gears that everyone assumed would be a problem, but could never seem to prove.

[URGE TO FIT NYLON GEARS INTENSIFIES]

i can see where your coming from, until you realise what airsoft companies think passes for quality engineering polymer......

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.