Old School Airsofters.

Cr0-Magnon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i really should stop extolling the virtues of heavy ammo to people, dont want the playing field too level.....

My mates think I'm stupid for running .28s up to .4s, but then I pull a MC Hammer and this starts playing in my mind 

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, Skara said:

My mates think I'm stupid for running .28s up to .4s, but then I pull a MC Hammer and this starts playing in my mind 

i've lost count of the amount of instances of someone getting salty because they assume that because i'm able to hit them that they should be able to hit me when the reality is they're dropping 10m short

22 minutes ago, dynamoleddisplays said:

Airsoft originated from Japan in the early 1970s, where Ichiro Nagata thought about making model guns, or guns that do not shoot and are made for modeling purposes, shoot real projectiles that could not kill. These “guns” were trademarked as "soft air gun", tailoring to the needs of shooting enthusiasts while conforming to Japan's strict gun control

thanks did you get that off wikipedia ?

On 10/07/2020 at 15:07, Bada Bing said:

Still having nightmares about Airsoft Dynamics. 🥺

Now that really takes me back. Was very much a learning experience that a flashy website is not indicative of quality. 

On 09/07/2020 at 18:46, Jacket said:

600mAh for a ‘mini’ or ‘stick’ battery, 1300-1700mAH for a ‘large’ one.

Other capacities were available although these were probably the most common. When I first started big batteries went as low as 1100mah. I think they got as far as 2500 before NiMH took over.

We used to make our own nunchuck batteries by splitting the mini battery packs and re-soldering and shrink wrapping them. (A trick we borrowed from racing RC cars). That way they would (just with a bit of shaving things) fit the battery in an M4 handguard either side of the barrel so we could still run a Standard M4 stock without a fake PEQ box. Watching someone trying to change them was comedy gold though.

19 hours ago, dynamoleddisplays said:

Airsoft originated from Japan in the early 1970s, where Ichiro Nagata thought about making model guns, or guns that do not shoot and are made for modeling purposes, shoot real projectiles that could not kill. These “guns” were trademarked as "soft air gun", tailoring to the needs of shooting enthusiasts while conforming to Japan's strict gun control

I think the original Softair guns were 7mm as well

Late '90s/early '00s - staring at the DenTrinity website - they had built a P90 (which was uber cool in popular culture at the time) using TM internals in a model gun way before TM bought theirs to market.

I was hooked from there on in.

On 09/07/2020 at 18:05, Tommikka said:

Noobs

Circa 1983/84 when the guns fired shaped plastic pellets similar to airgun pellets

And you had to build them yourself from a kit. I had an XM177 and a Sten Gun...

21 hours ago, DerDer said:

Now that really takes me back. Was very much a learning experience that a flashy website is not indicative of quality. 

I was a moderator on one of the forums when that kicked off. Got called a Nazi Bumboy because we weren't letting the conspiracy theorists spout crap and kept deleting their posts.

That was around the same time as Dee Dee kicked off the One Joule furore.

Guest Airsoft J2

I started out in 2007 or so, playing at sites like Airsoft Scotland and Phoenix in Sheffield, as well as the massive milsim games run as Town Assault at Copehill and Caerwent.

I had a classic army G3, a CA M4A1, a TM MP5 and an Army L85A1 which was the first of the Chinese guns to really hit the UK market.

It was certainly a less kit-heavy time. Lots more issue kit - DPM all the way - and virtually no lasers or fancy optics because knock-offs hadn't really arrived.

12 hours ago, Airsoft J2 said:

I started out in 2007 or so, playing at sites like Airsoft Scotland and Phoenix in Sheffield, as well as the massive milsim games run as Town Assault at Copehill and Caerwent.

I had a classic army G3, a CA M4A1, a TM MP5 and an Army L85A1 which was the first of the Chinese guns to really hit the UK market.

It was certainly a less kit-heavy time. Lots more issue kit - DPM all the way - and virtually no lasers or fancy optics because knock-offs hadn't really arrived.

I remember when the first clones came out - AGM being one that sticks out as one of the better one.

When i first started getting into it, i went to Hong Kong (i wouldve been about 12-13 or something) and we drove down Kwong Wah street in a taxi - stopping in traffic outside Guns N Guys and DenTrinity. Eyes lit up like a christmas tree.

• 2 weeks later...

I started airsoft about 20 years ago, I used to muck about with some friends with springer pistols and SMG in some waste ground near where we lived. All fun and games till armed response tipped up one day, they were really cool about it (wouldn't be today) the cops were muckin about plinkin at each other with "guns" The police gave us a stern talking to, and sent us on our way, thats when we started looking for a site to play on, we finally found Pheonix, went a few times, then changed to Free Fire Zone because it was closer. 

after a while we formed a team of like minded Milsim types, and played for a few years at a couple of big games around the country (Copehill down, SWAT over in Wales) loved it, we finally drifted apart, I hadn't played for about 12 years, till I got dragged back into by my best mate (used to be on the team with us) happy times.

Photos courtesy of our old team captain.

106031204_10224406845224501_2086070921907157332_n.jpg

106130301_10224406844944494_8881366040480618945_n.jpg

106489124_10224406845624511_6005097592626910189_n.jpg

I've been softing for 17 years now, ever since i was 16. Wow time fly's. I have so many epic stories, moments and memories from over this time. Met some great people, some not so and had some insane moments. 

In reality, bar the sheer amount of gear you can get now, affordably not much has changed from what i can remember. 

Battery tech is the most obvious change and very welcome, gone are the days of trying to cram a days softing in with the great big batteries of yesteryear. 

I've owned pretty much every type of gun, (AEG, GBB) from the OG brands These where only Marui & CA really when i started, well that is all i ever bought from Fire support. Up until maybe a year or so ago i had my CA M16A4 that was my second ever purchase, it would be 17 years old now and it still worked fantastically, only having 1 rebuild ever before we parted ways, it had been my main weapon for at least 6-8 years. Fire support at the time where easily the go to shop, though i frequently placed HUGE orders from Japan.

I have introduced so many people into the scene over the years, i started taking my brother in law when he was 12, hes now mid 20's and we still go a couple times a month. 

On 14/07/2020 at 11:01, John_W said:

I was a moderator on one of the forums when that kicked off. Got called a Nazi Bumboy because we weren't letting the conspiracy theorists spout crap and kept deleting their posts.

Still waiting for my shell ejecting aa12 with self contained gas shells DeeDee. You promised me a couple of months until delivery back in #airsoft in 2005 :)

1 hour ago, Schnakey said:

Still waiting for my shell ejecting aa12 with self contained gas shells DeeDee. You promised me a couple of months until delivery back in #airsoft in 2005 :)

Christ on a bike ! He's back !!!🤣🤣

Ah yes, good old "DeeDee"

On 14/07/2020 at 11:01, John_W said:

Is that you Paddy?

2 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

I seem to recall a Pancor Jackhammer was also promised.

Your memory is better than mine, was definitely a jackhammer now I think about it.

Used to speak to him on the regular in #airsoft, he seemed a decent enough chap... Until he didn't.

Now, when can we get act dead and the cigar of choice klub going again? 

On 23/07/2020 at 23:34, FUBAR said:

I started airsoft about 20 years ago, I used to muck about with some friends with springer pistols and SMG in some waste ground near where we lived. All fun and games till armed response tipped up one day, they were really cool about it (wouldn't be today) the cops were muckin about plinkin at each other with "guns" The police gave us a stern talking to, and sent us on our way, thats when we started looking for a site to play on, we finally found Pheonix, went a few times, then changed to Free Fire Zone because it was closer. 

after a while we formed a team of like minded Milsim types, and played for a few years at a couple of big games around the country (Copehill down, SWAT over in Wales) loved it, we finally drifted apart, I hadn't played for about 12 years, till I got dragged back into by my best mate (used to be on the team with us) happy times.

Photos courtesy of our old team captain.

106031204_10224406845224501_2086070921907157332_n.jpg

106130301_10224406844944494_8881366040480618945_n.jpg

106489124_10224406845624511_6005097592626910189_n.jpg

Love those. I haven't play for over 8 years since I moved to UK. But memories are priceless

Had this on numerous occasions back in Czech Republic. when Police played game with us before dispersing us.

I started about 10 or so years ago... not that long ago but anyone remember Forest Labs I think airsoft Essex used to do?   

On 14/07/2020 at 09:56, Speedbird_666 said:

Late '90s/early '00s - staring at the DenTrinity website - they had built a P90 (which was uber cool in popular culture at the time) using TM internals in a model gun way before TM bought theirs to market.

I was hooked from there on in.

I still own this p90, the plastic has not aged well, was made from an old toytec version that Den had butchered, only issue was having to have a battery bag strapped to the side.

19 minutes ago, Old man Jay said:

I still own this p90, the plastic has not aged well, was made from an old toytec version that Den had butchered, only issue was having to have a battery bag strapped to the side.

Whoa, that is cool.

I mean I know it wouldn't stack up against modern stuff (although it uses a V3 GB?), but when I saw that on DenTrinity what must be 20+ years ago, i thought it was the coolest thing ever.

I would never own a P90 now, but back then I would of had one in a heartbeat. Because I was young and liked watching Stargate.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.