New 'Older' Player Checking in

DOBBO45

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all,  i am thinking of doing a few walk on games with rental but a bit concerned that at 45 i am too old, i am a bit of a collector of airguns/replicas and also shoot pcp and spring .22 rifles but like the idea of using the airsoft guns on a site with a purpose. Any older players in the Gatwick area? My local sites are Holmbush farm and Driver wood.

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
37 minutes ago, DOBBO45 said:

Hello all,  i am thinking of doing a few walk on games with rental but a bit concerned that at 45 i am too old, i am a bit of a collector of airguns/replicas and also shoot pcp and spring .22 rifles but like the idea of using the airsoft guns on a site with a purpose. Any older players in the Gatwick area? My local sites are Holmbush farm and Driver wood.

You're never too old! Someone on here is pushing 70 and was skirmishing up until last year.

I'm not in that area but just wanted to pop in, welcome you, encourage you etc.

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

Lol, another young whipper snapper.

I'm 51 and our group has a 60 year old 😁

Not in that area unfortunately but I've heard Dog Tag is a good site so you're bound to meet some good peeps.

• Supporters

Welcome youngster, I'm 52 & just become a granddad, that makes you feel old.

Age is immaterial, personally I'll keep playing for as long as it remains fun, & the old bones will let me lol.

You see all ages, shapes and types at Airsoft.  No one will blink an eye at you turning up to a game. 
the best thing you could do is put the doubts out of your mind and get playing, I’m sure you will enjoy it

Honestly I feel old on some game days at 35. Some skirmish sites do seem to be 90% under 25 but it's not like anyone really cares. As someone has already mentioned 45 isn't ancient and as long as you feel you can still have a good time whether that be storming ahead with a rifle/SMG or hanging back and sniping, then get involved! The collecting side is also very appealing once you have your UKARA sorted as the guns are very realistic but as long as you are wearing eyepro and are sensible, they're not particularly dangerous.

Thanks for all the replies, all very encouraging so i will get some protective gear sorted out and book up a session👍 

Don’t let your age put you off playing,!!!

at 46 I am the youngest in our group who play together......

one of our lads has had 2 strokes, kicking close to 60 and still kicks ass when he gets out there

As my dad told me,   it’s not the dog in the fight,   it’s the fight in the dog 😉

• Supporters
10 hours ago, DOBBO45 said:

Thanks for all the replies, all very encouraging so i will get some protective gear sorted out and book up a session👍 

Boots are all you need if you're renting, but your own eyepro will likely be better than a site rental mask.

Oh, and 45 is the best age to start airsofting. ;)

Ok so i went shopping this afternoon , eyr pro,mask,gloves,batteries,bbs,another hi cap,sling...already have boots and clothing so all the gear and no idea ..what can i expect from my first time🤪

Too get shot a fair bit i guess lol

(have just got an entry level AEG m4 atm, see how i get on with that first)

Edited by DOBBO45
extra info on kit

Main thing is don't take it too seriously (winning or getting kills), call your hits out loudly and raise your arm high so you don't get shot more times.

When you're hit you'll usually have to walk to a certain point to 'respawn' back into the game.  (There can be a lot of walking involved 😆)

Don't take a pistol to your first few games until you're more familiar with things. (get a lanyard for it too)

You'll certainly have fun and get addicted 😁

Cheers for the reply , looking forward to it ,have done paint ball back in  2006 ish and enjoyed that oh and the walking will be good because being furloughed since march 30 has not helped with " fitness"..! I have just watch a few you tube videos that do not recommend the mesh eye pro and they have a good point so will be exchanging them , any recommendations ( do not want to spend 100 quid ideally  but eyes are important) 

In regard to eyewear if i go down the goggle route i want some thing that does not fog , that was my thinking initially with the mesh option but did not factor shattered bbs! 

• Supporters
On 10/07/2020 at 00:08, DOBBO45 said:

Ok so i went shopping this afternoon , eyr pro,mask,gloves,batteries,bbs,another hi cap,sling...already have boots and clothing so all the gear and no idea ..what can i expect from my first time🤪

Too get shot a fair bit i guess lol

(have just got an entry level AEG m4 atm, see how i get on with that first)

Oh, I didn't realise you'd actually gunned up already.  The thing about "entry level" is that all AEGs work in pretty much the same way and the BB really doesn't care as long as it gets some puff-spin-point.  What did you go for?

On mesh vs goggles, it's the perennial problem.  Mesh cuts out some light, lets through shards, but doesn't fog.  Polycarbonate is great when it's clear, but fogging can really ruin your day.

Dual pane works fairly well, I'd suggest the Pyramex iForce or the cheapest rebranding of them that you can find as a reasonable choice.  They have dual pane lenses which help to stop fogging.  Not a panacea, I can fog them up and the inner lens does seem to break down after a while, but is easily replaced just by cutting a new one out of a sheet of PETG.  You can also DIY dual-pane any goggles, again just by cutting a sheet of acetate to fit and sticking it on the inside of the polycarbonate lens with strips of dual sided 2mm foam tape.  Lastly, you can try fan goggles, FMA or similar.  I use DIY dual-paned fan goggles with Revision anti-fog wipes and am very nearly fog clear now. ;)

You'll find something that works, it just might take some experimentation.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still playing. Coming up 67 now.

Age is just a number.i play as much as I can.may not be as fast as the younger lads but i can still walk fast lol.

Go for it fella.you have years of gaming in you yet🙂

Regards

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.