Looking for a First Sight.

Fudged

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Any recommendations on a non magnified scope or sight?

I have a Bolt AKS74U. Love the gun, in the process of modding it right now and a friend has 3D printed me a b18 mount. This clips into the rear iron sight bit and adds a standard 20mm rail so now I need something to fit on there.

I quite like the ASG 1x30 sight on Patrol base but my friends think it’ll be too big and we can’t find any other pics of it.

Nice build, is it an AK12?

14 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

I run a 40mm on one of my ak's.

Works out just fine, smaller than some of the proper russian style scopes like the pk-a

15941457291282050058651.jpg

I am really tempted to ignore my friends, I will look a bit online once I’m home. Anyone got a site to recommend for optics selection? Patrol base is great for a lot of stuff but it’s optics are quite limited

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, Fudged said:

I am really tempted to ignore my friends, I will look a bit online once I’m home. Anyone got a site to recommend for optics selection? Patrol base is great for a lot of stuff but it’s optics are quite limited

honestly about 90% of selection criteria for an airsoft sight is looks and personal taste.

there are a few practical considerations for a red dot, most notably parallax (which almost all of the cheaper sights don't do at all) but realistically for the kind of ranges and accuracy you can extract from an airsoft gun you can get around it, for example the one i pictured is about as cheap and cheerful as it gets and i have no problems landing shots with it.

source wise it's a case of shopping around, various airsoft shops, amazon, ebay, aliexpress etc. kinda depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go to find the best deal for the style you want.

I agree with @Adolf Hamster when it comes to RDS in airsoft it's down to what you like the look of.

Since it's an AK i'd recommend the C-more reflex, as it looks a bit like a Ruski Kobra reflex. Mind, the copies seem to have shot up in price since I got mine. FYI they are polymer bodied.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tactical-C-More-Style-Railway-Red-Dot-Sight-for-20mm-Picatinny-Weaver-Rail/153921045560?hash=item23d668c438:g:ekMAAOSwYoFesozX

Cmore.JPG.6cab303263798426376864541a7ca829.JPG

• Supporters

I use one of those cheapo reflex sights. Reminds me of Metro 2033.

aviary-image-1562078167882.jpeg

The C-mores are really long, they certainly won’t fit on a B18 rail. The B18 is also relatively high on the 74u so I’ve found a smaller reflex to offer a more natural head position. Standard Doctor RMR

AADA138C-0711-4E42-AE54-272ABA51910E.jpeg

I think the ASG 1x30 you're talking about will be a bit too big, I recently had a vector optics maverick turn up I bought on sale and this is what it looks like fitted (it's a 1x22). The ASG one is 10cm long according to their website and the one I have fitted is 7.5cm.

Untitled-1.png.a669ced0af3ca7134ef3fb1631b8e998.png

1 hour ago, Shaydee said:

I think the ASG 1x30 you're talking about will be a bit too big, I recently had a vector optics maverick turn up I bought on sale and this is what it looks like fitted (it's a 1x22). The ASG one is 10cm long according to their website and the one I have fitted is 7.5cm.

Learning towards a Vortex optics omega I think, small holo sight

Vector optics are good but I would caution with the omega as that is a rebrand. I have a vector optics "tempest" which I think its pretty good, its around £80. Rule of thumb is - if you've seen the same thing advertised under a different name, i'd get a different model. 

Whilst I accept that airsoft guns are nowhere near as accurate as real guns, if you don't care where the dot goes in relation to your bb's, if you don't care about parallax it really begs the question "why do you have an RDS"? Looks is fine of course! But especially the first point - an unzero'd red dot sight is worse then irons. BTDT. 

If you can afford to take a gamble on a ~£25 red dot, why not - it may work fine, may not. If it doesn't, crack on with a vector optics in the £60-£80 range. 

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

Whilst I accept that airsoft guns are nowhere near as accurate as real guns, if you don't care where the dot goes in relation to your bb's, if you don't care about parallax it really begs the question "why do you have an RDS"? Looks is fine of course! But especially the first point - an unzero'd red dot sight is worse then irons. BTDT. 

i still find a (zeroed) Rds without parallax is still better than irons, you tend to naturally move the dot to the centre of the field of view anyway and very few airsoft guns exceed the range/accuracy where parallax becomes an issue if you keep it centred. it's the same effect as ghost ring sights except you gain the ability to use both eyes and everything's on one focal plane.

however i won't deny a sight with decent parallax is nice, and legitimately useful when you have a gun that can shoot well enough.

1 hour ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

Vector optics are good but I would caution with the omega as that is a rebrand. I have a vector optics "tempest" which I think its pretty good, its around £80. Rule of thumb is - if you've seen the same thing advertised under a different name, i'd get a different model. 

If you can afford to take a gamble on a ~£25 red dot, why not - it may work fine, may not. If it doesn't, crack on with a vector optics in the £60-£80 range. 

I wanted something decent hopefully used in hunting as, while I’m sure it’s not as strong as a real rifle, the BRSS recoil does exist. The gun does shake a lot so I didn’t want the zero fading every magazine or every hour or whatever.

thanks for the tip about the omega as that was the one I think I bookmarked. I’ll look into it later and probably purchase one.

25 minutes ago, Fudged said:

I wanted something decent hopefully used in hunting as, while I’m sure it’s not as strong as a real rifle, the BRSS recoil does exist. The gun does shake a lot so I didn’t want the zero fading every magazine or every hour or whatever.

thanks for the tip about the omega as that was the one I think I bookmarked. I’ll look into it later and probably purchase one.

I really can't comment on use on real firearms, though this may be worth a read:

https://tradetech.fi/tag/vector-optics/

if you do want to use it on a real firearm as well, you can have a look at vortex optics. I recently got a vortex crossfire RDS and I must admit, I don't think its worth paying double the price of a vector optics - the reticle on mine is very starbursty and I don't think I have astigmatism... but maybe I do! That being said, it may be more suitable for use on a real fire arm, and their customer service (via countrysportswholesale) seems pretty good when I got in touch to discuss. 

1 hour ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

I really can't comment on use on real firearms, though this may be worth a read:

https://tradetech.fi/tag/vector-optics/

if you do want to use it on a real firearm as well, you can have a look at vortex optics. I recently got a vortex crossfire RDS and I must admit, I don't think its worth paying double the price of a vector optics - the reticle on mine is very starbursty and I don't think I have astigmatism... but maybe I do! That being said, it may be more suitable for use on a real fire arm, and their customer service (via countrysportswholesale) seems pretty good when I got in touch to discuss. 

A good way to check the dot is clear is to use a camera, this'll show the dot in it's true fashion. Takes a little bit of work with the focus otherwise it'll look massive on the picture though. Here's a pic of the dot from the maverick just as an example.

image.thumb.png.5c8c5c28f1a899a79436e773827cb522.png

I took a dive into Vector Optics stuff when they had their sale last month, decided I'd pick up a aimpoint style dot for the 74u (plan to mount it on the front when my Zenitco B-19N and B-11 combo show up from ivantactical). Mainly grabbed one off the back of some good reviews on some russkie facebook pages, there was a gent there using a PK-A clone on a real krink and he says the zero holds true. Quite a few people saying the PSO clones are pretty good also. I also jumped on a 3x magnifier just to have a look, based on a few of the aliexpress reviews saying they were decent and man, they way better than the generic airsoft clones I've seen other people use - eye relief is a bit naff but the glass is very clear. They both showed up after about two and half weeks as well which, especially with the current situation, is amazing 😄

I like a nice clean Aimpoint T-2 Rep sitting as far forwards as possible on an AK.

You can get them for around £30 easily enough and they do the job well as a nice simple dot sight

image.jpeg.12a1133a08244563afc0834d1847e0a3.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Shaydee said:

A good way to check the dot is clear is to use a camera, this'll show the dot in it's true fashion. Takes a little bit of work with the focus otherwise it'll look massive on the picture though. Here's a pic of the dot from the maverick just as an example.

image.thumb.png.5c8c5c28f1a899a79436e773827cb522.png

I took a dive into Vector Optics stuff when they had their sale last month, decided I'd pick up a aimpoint style dot for the 74u (plan to mount it on the front when my Zenitco B-19N and B-11 combo show up from ivantactical). Mainly grabbed one off the back of some good reviews on some russkie facebook pages, there was a gent there using a PK-A clone on a real krink and he says the zero holds true. Quite a few people saying the PSO clones are pretty good also. I also jumped on a 3x magnifier just to have a look, based on a few of the aliexpress reviews saying they were decent and man, they way better than the generic airsoft clones I've seen other people use - eye relief is a bit naff but the glass is very clear. They both showed up after about two and half weeks as well which, especially with the current situation, is amazing 😄

was it you who posted the b11 on reddit a couple months back? I replied that my b11 was in the post.

This is where I am with mine Bolt AK at the moment

34AD36F0-6D29-4600-BEFA-48C269CA2AF4.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Fudged said:

was it you who posted the b11 on reddit a couple months back? I replied that my b11 was in the post.

This is where I am with mine Bolt AK at the moment

34AD36F0-6D29-4600-BEFA-48C269CA2AF4.jpeg

Nah, not me. I gave up posting on reddit a while back, too much of a clusterf*ck for me! Needed to grab a newer B-11 like yours which has the screw holes for mounting the top cover (B-19/B-19N) as opposed to mine with the shorter rails. I do love a 74u, not the greatest for impression loadouts though so might grab a 105 sooner or later. Probably be sooner - much to the bane of my bank balance 😄

9 minutes ago, Shaydee said:

Nah, not me. I gave up posting on reddit a while back, too much of a clusterf*ck for me! Needed to grab a newer B-11 like yours which has the screw holes for mounting the top cover (B-19/B-19N) as opposed to mine with the shorter rails. I do love a 74u, not the greatest for impression loadouts though so might grab a 105 sooner or later. Probably be sooner - much to the bane of my bank balance 😄

I’m keen for a gas AK-12 as my next gun

52 minutes ago, Shaydee said:

A good way to check the dot is clear is to use a camera, this'll show the dot in it's true fashion. Takes a little bit of work with the focus otherwise it'll look massive on the picture though. Here's a pic of the dot from the maverick just as an example
😄

I tried this and to be fair, if I fiddle with the focus (I am literally a 30 year old boomer) I can get a clear dot. But likewise, I can also clearly see what I can only describe as a similar thing as a cross section to a series of wires. Not knocking Vortex, but I guess I am saying that the crossfire (the cheapest in their range) doesn't justify the ££ - though I concede I've yet to compare it's NV mode (the vector tempest is just a bit tooo bright then is ideal imo).

32 minutes ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

I tried this and to be fair, if I fiddle with the focus (I am literally a 30 year old boomer) I can get a clear dot. But likewise, I can also clearly see what I can only describe as a similar thing as a cross section to a series of wires. Not knocking Vortex, but I guess I am saying that the crossfire (the cheapest in their range) doesn't justify the ££ - though I concede I've yet to compare it's NV mode (the vector tempest is just a bit tooo bright then is ideal imo).

Ahh gotcha. Entirely different ballgame when you add night vision into the mix to be fair 😄 Could also be the slim chance that you've got a lemon, but that's a wild guess.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.