Ares Soc-ar Upgrade - Completed.

Asomodai

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Heya gents. 

A tech friend is working on my Ares SOC-AR. Thought I would pop up some info of the internals as well as photos because of how little there is about these rifles in terms of upgrading. Reasons for upgrading was because A) I dont trust Ares QC, B) Looking for longevity, C) Bring the Rate of Fire down as it is over cycling then the ETU auto corrects, D) Accuracy is god awful because the stock Ares Hop unit is just the worst. 

file9.jpg

First of all, three of the six screws holding out outer barrel in place were rounded out from the Factory. More Ares QC!

The gearbox unplugs from the Trigger/Selector Sub Assembly which makes things easier. 

The stock motor is a standard balanced motor, ferrite magnets. A bit disappointing considering the price, but not unsurprising from Ares. 

z2uQYLy.jpg

Ares ETU, Three big power MOSFETS, Top one is for AB. Decently powerful Microcontroller brain. 

H4xbFf1.jpg

Back of the ETU, Capacitor and Cycle-Detection Hall-Effect sensor. 

Gearbox looks similar to the Ares Tavor and PDR-C box. Tech reckons the motor is angled like that to accommodate the sling swivel sockets. He also makes an observation that the molds for the body castings must have cost an absolute fortune considering how intricate it is. 

s3lPmwt.jpg

This is all one casting, pockets, voids etc. Likely an eight part mold. It's just a shame that Ares made it out of the cheapest pig slag metal. But costs had to come down somewhere. 

WHCbQoU.jpg

Stock gearbox, Air seal was... Ok which is good for Ares, however the piston was damaged, premature engagement has pushed the rack up into the piston body. 

kNy0x5O.jpg

Note the fracture. 

Ares gears arent noted to be the best, so decided to change them out for some G&G's. However needed to install a new magnet into the new sector gear for the ETU to work correctly. With a bit of force...

YvOz0ac.jpg

CtfPmeK.jpg

The Sector and spur gear were mounted on stainless bushings with the Bevel being on a bearing, these were all switched out for Hardened steel bushings for longevity. Along with a SHS all steel racked piston. Which was then swiss cheesed. 

1Vt0Hwf.jpg

wjwUjmb.jpg

First permanent mod was to the gearbox wall near the pinion motor. A small chunk had to be chopped away as the new gears were slightly wider in diameter then the stock ones. 

Bushings and gears went in as well. 

1hEpjJB.jpg

rM946g9.jpg

Next step is to run the new motor SHS Neo 16TPA motor in a little bit before installation and putting the gearbox back together. 

Other parts to install are a MaxxModel Air Nozzle, MaxxModel Hop unit, new 420mm Prommy barrel, Maple Leaf Bucking with Ohm nub. 

• Supporters

Given its high initial cost, plus the fact that your having to throw more money at it to actually get it to work as it should ,

Any regrets ?

PS I think it looks great, & having owned a couple of Ares guns previously with no issues, disappointing that their QC is getting worse not better ?

18 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Given its high initial cost, plus the fact that your having to throw more money at it to actually get it to work as it should ,

Any regrets ?

PS I think it looks great, & having owned a couple of Ares guns previously with no issues, disappointing that their QC is getting worse not better ?

Oh I dont regret buying it. I managed to get it for much cheaper then what they go for in the UK ( I paid 320 quid brand new). 

It did work ok when I got it, just not very accurate, only knew about the piston issue once it was opened, I always plan to upgrade my rifles before purchasing anyway. When the goal is to get one of every AEG bullpup, I dont mind so much. 

Ares QC is usually really bad on their air seal components, M4 style rotary hop unit and poor design of the gearbox shells (See the L1A1 fiasco)

However at least Ares push the boat out and bring us designs that no other manufacturer will touch, so there is that at least!

The gearbox has come together. 

Seems quite well shimmed. The reversal noise I heard when firing in semi was the gear train reversing, not because of the ETU but because the AR Latch spring was the wrong shape for the Gearbox. Looked like a standard V2 style which was not engaging the bevel at all. 

• Supporters

surprised i missed this.

i've not worked much on ares guns, but what i have didn't impress me much, not surprising it needed work but looks like it's coming together nicely.

some good highlights though for what things like poor aoe can do to a gun.

looks like a standard m4 hop? very much a blessing that.

End of the project. 

The V2 AR Spring was completely wrong so only the ETU was keeping it working in semi. Luckily I had a spare V6/P90 one in stock and sent it along to my tech. The new one went in perfectly. 

I am curious to see if other Ares SOC-AR's have the same wrong AR Spring. 

Lje5YDw.jpg

Gearbox with new AR Spring, G&G gears and SHS Rocket Green motor. 

1U10OVR.jpg

Replaced the factory stripped outer barrel screws with nice German made cross heads. 

F7GEv6t.jpg

Nearly assembled with the new Maxxmodel Sport hop unit. 

The project is now completed! My tech tested it out this morning, no feeding issues whatsoever. Firing at a solid 339FPS with good consistency. Didn't skip a beat on fast full auto/burst. The loose body pin that i fixed with PFTE tape was removed and replaced with some strong retention compound. 

So quite a smooth project with the only issues being the gearbox needing dremeling to put in different gears and a new AR latch spring. 

Obviously nothing replaces a true field test so I hope to try it out in the next couple of weeks. 

On 10/07/2020 at 21:55, Adolf Hamster said:

surprised i missed this.

i've not worked much on ares guns, but what i have didn't impress me much, not surprising it needed work but looks like it's coming together nicely.

some good highlights though for what things like poor aoe can do to a gun.

looks like a standard m4 hop? very much a blessing that.

Sorry I missed this. 

Yes, luckily its a standard M4 hopup and a premium gun deserves a premium hop unit... But not the full model with Tracer LEDS etc. too expensive and there is enough electrics in this thing! 

The next project for my tech is my PDRC. Same deal, new motor, gears, new air seal components, piston and small mosfet. 

• Supporters
42 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Yes, luckily its a standard M4 hopup and a premium gun deserves a premium hop unit... But not the full model with Tracer LEDS etc. too expensive and there is enough electrics in this thing! 

The next project for my tech is my PDRC. Same deal, new motor, gears, new air seal components, piston and small mosfet. 

at least with the maxx unit it's easy enough to add the tracer module on later if you feel like it.

i'm still waiting for their stop on empty system to come out, that would be nice to have working.

• 7 months later...

Hi! Great work down there!

I just get mine and love it... So i also plan to upgrade as well following your path. 

Also, any solution to get the laser working? Mine seems wired but not fonctional.. 

14 minutes ago, Flocon said:

Hi! Great work down there!

I just get mine and love it... So i also plan to upgrade as well following your path. 

Also, any solution to get the laser working? Mine seems wired but not fonctional.. 

Have you put the batteries for the laser in the Pistol grip?

OMG...   F*** me. 

Works great! 

I'll keep this topic alive as soon as i begin to upgrade mine with my tech! It will fill a bit the content about this rifle on the internet if any other mad bullpup dudes or dudesses wanna buy it 😉

Edited by Flocon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.