Tn Barrels Vs Wide-bore

Groot

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

I see a lot of people still putting TN barrels into rifles. 

I admit I have been out of the scene for a while. 

However, I seem to remember there being a stage that people worked out that a wider barrel with the correct hop, was infact more accurate and consistent than a tighter one.

A tighter barrel would generally up the power but because of its tightness, yet there was more contact with the BB as it traveled down it.

Now with the wider barrel, you would need a stronger spring to correct for the increased volume, but the bb would travel down on more of a cushion of air not touching the sides.

I certainly noticed a drop in consistency, when i moved my old Gspec from its stock barrel to a tn. 

So, what is the current Airsoft science saying?

Groot

• Supporters

Inconclusive methinks.

The problem is that theres not much in the way of proper testing outside of hearsay or from companies (who are arguably biased to shifting their latest and greatest). I did have a suspicion that the widebore might be less susceptible to minor bb diameter variations due to the larger air gap but when i did the math it turned out to be pretty much nothing.

The main factor for accuracy above all is quality, a cheap tightbore will be worse than a good standard or widebore, and the other factors (hop, air seal, bb quality) all have much more impact.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.