Warfets in Aks

Speedbird_666

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Background (keeping it simple):

- Got a Cyma CM.045 (AKS-74U)

- Run 7.4V 1200Mah LiPos that fits nicely in the gas tube and only protrudes an inch or so into the receiver

- Want to add MOSFET (just...because)

- Hear that Gate WARFETs are amazeballs

Questions:

- Will a WARFET fit underneath the dust cover (i.e. on top of the gearbox)?

- Has anyone done it to an AK, and is it a worthwhile exercise?

Ta Muchly.

This is a NanoHARD mosfet with a 11.1v Li-Ion in the gas tube as far as it will go 😁

Carefully measured out the new motor wires and laid it out on the gearbox shell to make sure. Leads on the battery were shortened a bit too as I was swapping them to Deans anyway.

NanoHard had all the features I wanted but the WarFet looks really good. Gun is a loaner / Milsim OPFOR / messing about so it does the job. Snappy even on a 7.4v and active brake works well. Nice to know the trigger contacts won't burn out either!

20200704_114904.jpg

20200704_182917.jpg

• Supporters

tbh the nanohard aint much smaller than the warfet.

can't say i'm a fan of the mid range stuff, the warfet is ok because at least you get precocking but especially on v3 boxes i find ab has a nasty habit of causing lockups on semi.

of course it's setup dependant i suppose.

Thank God for this thread, almost made an identical one :D

About to pull the trigger (lol) on a warfet for the ak, along with a Titan 7.4v (which I suppose it can be charged with a bog standard lipo charger, correct me if I'm wrong) so that I can have a dedicated set (wired to deans, whereas my other AEGs are all wired to XT60s).

Yeah, this thread inspired me to put in an order for a warfet. I have some Aegs which are set up with basic Gate titans. They are nice in the feature department but seem a bit temperamental at times. So plan to wire up an AKM to a warfet and keep it as a backup/loaner. 

Also have learnt to solder this year, so that opens up things with regards options for electrical kit. Before the no soldering aspects of certain Mosfets was a big plus.    

Lemme hijack the thread real quick.

Will a 7.4x3000 Titan battery fit into the E&L 74u gas tube? Couldn't take any measure of the tube itself, but the battery is 19.5mm in diametre.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/07/2020 at 17:09, SSPKali said:

This is a NanoHARD mosfet with a 11.1v Li-Ion in the gas tube as far as it will go 😁

Carefully measured out the new motor wires and laid it out on the gearbox shell to make sure. Leads on the battery were shortened a bit too as I was swapping them to Deans anyway.

NanoHard had all the features I wanted but the WarFet looks really good. Gun is a loaner / Milsim OPFOR / messing about so it does the job. Snappy even on a 7.4v and active brake works well. Nice to know the trigger contacts won't burn out either!

20200704_114904.jpg

20200704_182917.jpg

Hey man, could you please kindly send a few pics of the set up of this gearbox? I just want to get an idea of how to wire it and keep it neat. This looks like what I’m looking for. 

3 hours ago, RonLancs said:

Hey man, could you please kindly send a few pics of the set up of this gearbox? I just want to get an idea of how to wire it and keep it neat. This looks like what I’m looking for. 

The two signal wires exit the gearbox in the same place as the old trigger wires (front LH side) and go straight up the left hand side of the gearbox shell to the top of the shell and under the cable keeper bit of the gearbox top cover thing and to the MOSFET. They are covered in green heatshrink in the photo below as they are quite thin gauge.

Motor-to-Deans wires fit exactly the same as the old ones. They are the ones to the rear next to the 5585EX sticker. I went for thicker gauge silicone wire and measured them up carefully before adding the spade connectors and male Deans plug.

If I get time I'll strip it down to get photos but it is a bit of a ball ache TBH.

20200704_114904.jpg

3 hours ago, SSPKali said:

The two signal wires exit the gearbox in the same place as the old trigger wires (front LH side) and go straight up the left hand side of the gearbox shell to the top of the shell and under the cable keeper bit of the gearbox top cover thing and to the MOSFET. They are covered in green heatshrink in the photo below as they are quite thin gauge.

Motor-to-Deans wires fit exactly the same as the old ones. They are the ones to the rear next to the 5585EX sticker. I went for thicker gauge silicone wire and measured them up carefully before adding the spade connectors and male Deans plug.

If I get time I'll strip it down to get photos but it is a bit of a ball ache TBH.

20200704_114904.jpg

no no, that’s fine mate you’ve explained it clearly. Much appreciated. 

Installed one this week in my LCT AKM and used it this weekend. Was quite nice to play a full day with the one gun and no problems. 

Would make two quick points.

Firstly when you install it make sure you use you programming card to switch it to modified wiring if you are hard wiring it.

The other thing is to clean the deans style connectors that come with the Warfet. Mine were very grimy and wouldn't work till after a isopropyl cleaning. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.