Advice Needed - Aps2 EX

PickaxePete
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Digging my old kit out of storage for a tidy up / possible sale.

The stock cylinder I had with my APS2 EX has unfortunately given up the ghost.  The stamped cylinder / bolt handle connector are almost falling apart.

Any leads on a good replacement?  Finding it hard to find APS2 parts these days!

Ideally, I'd want a cyldiner pinned at the bolt handle end, rather than stamped metal.  Something capable of upgrading spring inside woudl also be great.

I've already got a lot of upgraded parts (All LayLax - zero trigger, barrel, bolt handle, cylinder head, inner barrel), spring guide), so some leads on the following would be great:

* Upgrade Cylinder

* Upgrade Piston

Will check my hop out too, as I think that may not have been upgraded previously - was bought / upgraded about 10 years ago and my memory is not that great!  🙂

Any advice welcome.

Lee

4 hours ago, Groot said:

Indeed it would.

Also should have stated I'm trying not to spend the same price as a new gun on a replacement cylinder!  🙂

Thanks for the link tho.

Lee 

I'd shift it on (if you can) and start a fresh if your not being nostalgic and precious . The aps was top in the day but you'll get a better performing cheaper setups now without a bolt you need an ox to pull.

Are the L96 cylinders different size, or would they work? 

I know they're based on the Maruzen design, but I'm unsure how much compatibility there is between the APS2 & the Maruzen L96. 

I've got a similar problem with my APS2SV, only mine is hop-related; Finding a suitable hop unit that'll work.

A shame, as it's not a bad little gun otherwise, nice light bolt and solidly built externals; just too old to make finding replacement parts easy now. 

Yeah - I hear ya.  Actually in a bit of a bind now.

+ side, I found an APS 2 cylinder at wolf armouries.  great!

- side, I found another box of airsoft kit with a cylinder in right after I ordered the one from wold.  boo!  I knew i had one somewhere....

Thought though please gents.  I can return the wolf armouries cylinder (when it arrives tomorrow probably), and recoup my costs (minus shipping) but the cylinder I found is missing the bit that threads through the bolt handle.  pic attached...

Any ideas if that is something you can buy / obtain?  what's it even called?!

Cheers for the input so far.

Lee

da34f3e0-4c98-4095-a299-5f986a2ae0ed.jpg

On 06/07/2020 at 14:55, heroshark said:

I'd shift it on (if you can) and start a fresh if your not being nostalgic and precious . The aps was top in the day but you'll get a better performing cheaper setups now without a bolt you need an ox to pull.

Problem is that its not currently operational and I'd expect a very low return on all the package.

I'll give it a few more goes to get it rocking or cut my losses and allow someone else to pick it up as a project gun.

CHeers

Lee

Getting that part alone is likely more hassle than the cylinder. 

I'd just keep the new one and start from there. 

At the least, it'll be in better condition. 

This thread actually inspired me to dig it out of the cupboard and have a tinker. 

Found the laylax hop unit, which I've always had problems with; no matter what I do it seems to have massive air loss, and gives low power. An M150 gives me about 350fps on a 0.2.

I swapped it out for the original (fixed) hop unit, and I'm now getting 2.2J on a 0.3!

So if I want to try it solely on medium weight ammo I might be okay.

Want to look at an adjustable option in future, but I'm not hopeful I'll be able to find anything. 

Even after 20 years the piston and cylinder still seal amazingly, and I can cock it with one finger if needed. 😄

• 3 weeks later...

I finally remembered to actually do some more on this, so thought I'd give a quick update. 

Started with an old KM-Head adjustable hop unit.

It takes its own style barrel & bucking with no idea on anything that might fit. 

However, I tried replacing it with a VSR style barrel & bucking, only with the little tab cut off the side of the rubber. 

It just about fits, and seems to seal! I'm getting between 407 & 412fps on a 0.20 but no idea on how well it will actually shoot.

DSC_0248.JPG

DSC_0250.JPG

Archived