Anyone Know Where to Find Decent Wire?

Jamoy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

This may come off as a bit of a rant, appolies in advance. I have looked for wire for a few days now and i am struggling to find anything that fits my current criteria. I was wondering if anyone knows anywhere to get decent 16AWG wire from?  All websites are either buy in bulk, 300m spools for about a grand. Or silicone stuff that i dont really want to use inside of a gearbox since its a nightmare to keep in place. Ebay has stuff mostly from china and i dont feel like waiting for 4 weeks for some wire. Airsoft retailers either have only one colour or are out of stock. Some sites are what i beleive to be overpriced for a meter of wire as well, from 5 - 10 quid. The chinese stuff is between 1 - 2 pounds per meter.

Ideally wire that is

16AWG

PTFE or simmilar coating

Silver Plated

Reasonably priced (1 - 2 pounds per meter)

Able to reach UK within a few Days

Red and Black (Clear if strand is inside to know polarity)

I was also thinking of travelling to some local hardware / hobby stores to see if they have any suitable wires. Does B&Q / Screwfix etc stock any wires that are small enough for airsoft use?

Any suggestions guys?

Had a wee look, their prices on their wire are outstanding. It is Silicone coated though. At that price it might be worth a shot.

17 hours ago, Jamoy said:

Had a wee look, their prices on their wire are outstanding. It is Silicone coated though. At that price it might be worth a shot.

The outer diameter is 3.1mm, personally I don't like using anything larger than 2mm.  Super flexible but large, can be tricky to run inside a V2 gearbox

• Supporters
22 hours ago, ak2m4 said:

The outer diameter is 3.1mm, personally I don't like using anything larger than 2mm.  Super flexible but large, can be tricky to run inside a V2 gearbox

Pete - minor suggestion you might wish to consider....

sell Alpha eco wire 6716 16awg by the metre perhaps ???

stiff resilient wire with big csa for max transfer of power

stiff wall - don't try 14awg - that is stiff as fuck, but 16awg is do-able

run the alpha from motor/box to say rear mosfet in buffer tube

then use bendy silicone stuff to run mosfet to Lipo

(if you want best of both worlds solution, or just use Alpha with little/no breaks/joins)

watch out silicone tears easy on casings of gearbox and stuff and should be sleeved to protect the silicone splitting

but Alpha is highly rated on places like Airsoft Society (US forum)

11 minutes ago, Sitting Duck said:

sell Alpha eco wire 6716 16awg by the metre perhaps ???

thanks dude, I did grab a large 50m spool of that wire a couple of years ago, pretty sure it was 16awg.... however I sent it back as I didn't think much of the quality.  I can't remember what exactly was wrong with it now though...it was certainly a decent price and only 2mm OD

I've got some new stuff coming from China that I'm trialing but maybe it's worth selling that as a cheaper alternative.

@Sitting Duck have you tried it?  Be interested to know your thoughts

52 minutes ago, Sitting Duck said:

sell Alpha eco wire 6716 16awg by the metre perhaps

I second that motion! Dooooo eeeeet!!

3 hours ago, ak2m4 said:

have you tried it? how'd you get on with it?  

Its the only wire that I can use on a mosfet built on a V2 that is thin enough to not get chewed up, but Carrys enough current for high speed builds. 

• Supporters
21 hours ago, ak2m4 said:

thanks dude, I did grab a large 50m spool of that wire a couple of years ago, pretty sure it was 16awg.... however I sent it back as I didn't think much of the quality.  I can't remember what exactly was wrong with it now though...it was certainly a decent price and only 2mm OD

I've got some new stuff coming from China that I'm trialing but maybe it's worth selling that as a cheaper alternative.

@Sitting Duck have you tried it?  Be interested to know your thoughts

It is a tiny bit stiffer than regular wire but is due to thin but very robust nyrol/mPPE insulation

which means you get 3mm silicone wire in 2.1mm thick wire

(though to be honest some 16awg might have up to 30x.25 strands (specs do vary)

& Alpha is 26 x 0.25mm strands, so a whisker less than some high spec 16awg wire, but 16awg varies

but c'mon, if space is tight like in V2 channels, you get the spec without the grind(ing of channel etc...)

A word of advice - 14awg Alpha is fucking stiff, much stiffer than the 16awg

& I'd only ever consider it on ultra thirsty builds like a really really insane DSG for example - so go for 16awg imho

(the 14awg is a c*nt to work with if you need wire to bend in say a v2 pistol grip, but 16awg is perfect)

an idea of how it compares - 18awg example...

Screenshot from 2020-07-02 07-18-56.png

Got some 2 metre packs (red and black) on the website now, it's definitely less flexible than the ptfe insulated 16awg wire but that can also be a good thing, it's certainly improved since I last tried it - impressed with it for the price.  Thanks for the suggestion.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.