Rif From Non-uk Company

saturnThursday

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

If a non-UK company has agreed to sell RIFs to me for film production, will UK customs still seize my item? It seems the only thing they want to see when importing an RIF is a UKARA number.

unfortunately it's likely to be a yes if they're noticed as you are the one that needs to prove a defence for importing a RIF.

as to whether customs decides to accept your non UKARA defence is anyone's guess and probably depends on who is dealing with it on the day. basically UKARA is the defence they're used to dealing with on a regular basis.

UK customs will only seize if it is picked up on a spot check, not everything is checked.  If it is seized then you will get a letter asking for defense.  If it was me I'd get the store to include a documentation wallet on the box with the shipment that included my phone number, email address and reason for defense.  

In regards to customs and UKARA I read somewhere that there's no mention of it in the UK Border Force Operations Manual, however others  have stated they use it when the RIF goes to their Birmingham site for processing.  Who knows...

Importing will just give you more problems.

If you are unable to convince a retailer to sell to you then you’re going to find it more difficult and expensive to convince Border Force.

Incoming Mail is checked for the following:

1)Legality to import (are you bringing in illegal items such as drugs & firearms?)

2)Restricted items (RIFs)

3)Duty & taxes (Is there something to pay?)

You could get picked up on both 2 & 3

First justify the import of a RIF, then (unless it’s valued below the threshold - which a RIF wont be) you get a bill of 20% of the value including postage costs plus a handling fee

If you don’t pass the VCRA test then it either gets destroyed or sent back, if sent back and it arrives safely the overseas retailer will only part refund - if they refund at all.

If it gets through unchecked then you have got away with smuggling 

9 hours ago, Tommikka said:

If you don’t pass the VCRA test then it either gets destroyed or sent back, if sent back and it arrives safely the overseas retailer will only part refund - if they refund at all.

Depending on which section of the VCRA is cited there is also a custodial sentence involved. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.