Chest Rig Vs Plate Carrier?

BoneyT

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am new to airsoft and have been introduced to it by my son. To get me going I bought a cheap tactical vest as in the picture, but after wearing it a couple of times, I don't think it looks as good as many of the loadouts other guys are rocking. I don't see the need to be carrying around tons of unnecessary kit for the sake of looking "warry" at this stage, enough space to hold a few mags and grenades, but at the same time I want to look good. So, do I go for a chest rig or a plate carrier? And what ones would you recommend? Ideally something that will go with the MTP camo, British DPM and also for the US contractor look in the summer.Tony_MTP.thumb.jpg.cadd973ad9f0a17f3286127757b9d0c1.jpg

Cheers.

I prefer a plate carrier to a chest rig myself. But that’s because I’m a little overweight and find the chest right feels a tad uncomfortable and looks absolutely hideous on my in pics. 
I currently run a warrior assault systems covert plate carrier with a triple mag on the front,  a dangler pouch for odds and ends and a cargo pack on the back for spare bb’s, hydration bladder and spare pistol gas. Then a belt kit with my pistol, 2 pistol mags, 2 extra m4 mags, a holder for the blank firing grenade and a radio pouch for my comms. 

• Supporters

Belt rig, plenty of options depending on the theme you're going for, but much more comfortable than a plate imo.

Plates make sense if their primary purpose is to stop bullets so you might as well hang some mags off them.

I'll double the "belt kit" argument. Belt kits are the most underrated piece of load bearing gear. They're lightweight and can hold plenty of stuff, though I may be biased as I'm predominantly a sniper (where being able to lie on my front in comfort is a massive benefit of the belt kit).

However, I will concede that just a belt kit can leave you lacking some things you need, especially if you have a belt mounted sidearm or use single mag pouches (or 7.62 mags). To me, I'd much rather have a belt kit and a chest rig, because a plate carrier is heavier and less comfortable. Personally, I use the Warrior Assault Systems gunfighter belt with one of their older model chest rigs I bought over 10 years ago. Holds everything I need. Chest rig has a utility pouch, small dump pouch and 4 NATO 7.62 mag pouches (as I use my rig when I use my m14 because the mags are huge), while belt kit has 4 pistol mag pouches, a large utility pouch, a water canteen holder and a pistol holster.

That's a lot of stuff, but it's fairly lightweight because no plates. Also nice and cool because back is empty, meaning when it's super hot I find myself relatively cool because heat can escape from my back.

I use a chest rig and belt set up personally. But I like to keep things as simple and low profile as possible.

But its all down to personal choice, you will get varying responses from different people and hopefully explaining why we use these set ups, however you need to find what works for YOU. Airsoft is a personal games, the only thing you need to have is eye pro, and even then there are more choices than you can shake a stick at. This is why experienced players tend to have enough spare kit to fill the boot of a car as we buy stuff we think we need or want to realise its not quite right and get another option, and repeat and repeat etc :P  

I have tried a large chest rig with loads of room for gear, a plate carrier and a belt only set up and after 3/4 years finally found what I think is the best set up for how I play and what I use. Which is the Viper vx buckle up rig https://ukmcpro.co.uk/products/viper-vx-buckle-up-utility-rig It takes 6 smg mags and 2 pistol mags (but is modular for any set up) sits square in the middle of my chest and doesnt catch on scrub, trees or my sling. Cheap too (my plate carrier cost me over £100 and was used once :( )

I dont like the feel of a plate carrier, I find it restricting, also I was tempted to fill it with unnecessary pouches and kit. Like you I tend not to carry uneeded gear. I for one do not see the point in carrying gear which you dont use just for a look as you end up with extra stuff you need to lug around, might get caught on bushes etc and costs money. But thats just me.

To be fair any set up could look good in your eyes, I would have a look next time your on site and see something someone else is using and ask questions about it. 

Military 1st is a great website, they have plenty of chest rig options avilable, good service too. Have a browse. Get a camo which works for your loadout, looking at what yoiu have a multicam, tan or olive rig would work and be multifunctional too.

19 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

I use a chest rig and belt set up personally. But I like to keep things as simple and low profile as possible.

But its all down to personal choice, you will get varying responses from different people and hopefully explaining why we use these set ups, however you need to find what works for YOU. Airsoft is a personal games, the only thing you need to have is eye pro, and even then there are more choices than you can shake a stick at. This is why experienced players tend to have enough spare kit to fill the boot of a car as we buy stuff we think we need or want to realise its not quite right and get another option, and repeat and repeat etc :P  

I have tried a large chest rig with loads of room for gear, a plate carrier and a belt only set up and after 3/4 years finally found what I think is the best set up for how I play and what I use. Which is the Viper vx buckle up rig https://ukmcpro.co.uk/products/viper-vx-buckle-up-utility-rig It takes 6 smg mags and 2 pistol mags (but is modular for any set up) sits square in the middle of my chest and doesnt catch on scrub, trees or my sling. Cheap too (my plate carrier cost me over £100 and was used once :( )

I dont like the feel of a plate carrier, I find it restricting, also I was tempted to fill it with unnecessary pouches and kit. Like you I tend not to carry uneeded gear. I for one do not see the point in carrying gear which you dont use just for a look as you end up with extra stuff you need to lug around, might get caught on bushes etc and costs money. But thats just me.

To be fair any set up could look good in your eyes, I would have a look next time your on site and see something someone else is using and ask questions about it. 

Military 1st is a great website, they have plenty of chest rig options avilable, good service too. Have a browse. Get a camo which works for your loadout, looking at what yoiu have a multicam, tan or olive rig would work and be multifunctional too.

Thanks buddy that's very helpful.

5 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

I’m useful for once Wooooo 

👍😄😄

I started in a BlackHawk vest very similar to that and honestly it is probably more than good enough for the task.
That being said, does it look a little noobie... Well yes.. 

I have used most loadouts from carrying way to much to being striped down for speed.

The two that I tend to use depending entirely on the look i want, since both carry the same. 

Plate Carriers, of which there are many to chose from are excellent. Feel great on and give you a little protection from the front and back.
When you are talking a chest rig I am assume you mean something like a Haley | D3CR- H CHEST RIG or similar. These are super light weight and usually my go to rig. 

The reality of why it really depends on looks, is because of what you will generally take into a game.

Gun,
4 High caps ( I carry 8 mid caps, 4 on rig, 1 on belt, 2 on leg, 1 in gun ) 
Bag of BB's

Dump pouch

Maybe a spare battery
Maybe water/haribo

That is not a whole lot to carry and most of that could be run on a belt rig, so either rig is more than upto the task. 

So my TLDR answer. Decide on what pretend soldier you want to look like and buy that rig.

Looks matter more than function for the most part :)

As a Gear whore, I have a WARRIOR DCS plate carrier, a replica CIRAS plate carrier, a CONDOR chest rig and a full molle Tac-vest.   Mainly I decide what I'm going to run for the day and usually tailor each carrier to the gun and how I want to play.  In hot weather the chest rig is king..it's light weight and comfy, same as the Tac-vest.  The plate carriers I use the WARRIOR for CQB mainly and i've yet to run the CIRAS due to COVID.

With the plate carrier's & chest rig I also run x2 different warbelt setups. (One a WARRIOR another a Repo)  Belt setups are very handy and comfy if you buy a good one.

I use a chest rig for some Namsoft games plus a water bottle on a strap.  I use a cheap 8Fields plate carrier for CQB as my local site allows full auto, and a plate carrier is less 'ouchy'. 

Usually for skirmishes and militia roles in Filmsim/Milsim, I use a belt set up.   Well padded hip belt, plus PLCE knockoff yolk.  You only really need a bag of BBs, a speedloader, a few MKVs, a smoke or two, two mags of 150 rounds (ish) with one in the rifle, water, and a pistol holster which holds a spare mag.  Leave the rest at your hard regen and stay light, fast and low.   This is by far my favourite set-up.  

I have on my belt...  1 x fastmag, 1 x large pouch for pyro and a bag of BBs plus speedloader, 1 x plastic water bottle holder, 1 x holster, 1 x 40mm 3 section 40 Mike pouch (small of the back), one radio pouch, left PLCE chest level strap.   My left breast pocket has a spare battery in a water tight bag.   You don't need as much as you think to have fun and to play well.  

Your rig is a very personal thing, even in the army where your kit is issued and you have SOPs as to where things should go there is a lot of personal variation.

For Airsoft I subscribe to the view that you shouldn’t carry more than you need, but even this varies depending on the type of games you play and personal preference. Personally I agree a good belt setup should be the start. This should carry pistol a couple of mags for both pistol and primary and in my case a smoke pouch and functioning first aid kit. I then run a plate carrier with more mags for my primary, a radio pouch, admin pouch and a hydration bladder which can also carry a waterproof or bit of warm kit if the weather demands it. While this sounds pretty minimalist I carry a lot of mags, as I run a GBBR with 30ish round mags and hate carrying speed loaders as they rattle like a bag of nails.

• 1 year later...

Condor is an excellent well made recon tactical rig. It is a good quality and looks to be made of good materials. I chose it because I am a bigger guy with a belly and needed something that would adjust for me. I am 6,2” and just north of 300 lbs. working on losing some of that but this has plenty of adjustment for me now and as I lose the weight. 

Can’t beat a chest rig!

Mine holds 6 primary magazines, a radio, water, and some bangs. And all for the cost of £30 from a popular online auction site. 

Pistol and spare magazines on my belt if I run them. 

Like others have said, it’s very much a personal thing, try different options out and see what works for you!86B9DB89-821C-4607-97AA-1F1F23181B5C.thumb.png.aba8902a95806a3c15e1599efbdfdbe3.png

IMO lightweight rigs are the best as they dont restrict movement and ideally the simpler the better. Sone posh setups have too many pouches for my liking, I prefer something more streamlined and basic. Personally (and this is just me) I find plate carriers and the like too bulky and restrictive.

I have a vest like the OP's that I picked up off Amazon for next to nothing. I like it as its breathable, light and holds my mags and pistol comfortably whilst giving reasonable protection. I tried one previously and really liked it so that's what I went for.

Your mileage may vary...

I'm hard on kit and have both plate carriers and chest rigs. I started out with the cheaper types and quickly found them lacking in comfort and structure. I got to try some warrior kit and from that point on I've favored quality kit for; its structure to carry weight, keep cool and take the abuse.

As for style it's personal choice but see if a few folk will let you try bits of kit on, get a feel for what you might like.

For a long game I run a helikon training mini rig (4 mid caps and 2 mk23 mags),  a cheap molle shooters belt that carries a mk23 pistol, a quake 8 bfg, warrior slim dump pouch, 5 midcaps (why not)and a warrior med pouch for ssg10 mags if I play sniper. 

For shorter games I ditch the chest rig and run the 5 mags and the single mk23 with one mag in it and the trusty bfg

I tried plate carriers but they make me overheat and I find them excessive for airsoft.  The helikon tmr is the best rig I've used (I've tried a few, but not all obv) for most styles of play and sits very comfortably whilst leaving the back free to help with cooling. 

Unfortunately the only way you'll know what works for you is to try each which means either buying stuff or borrowing it. 

I run different things depending on the type of site I'm playing on.

If it's CQB or I'm feeling particularly fit, I'll run the JPC and shooters belt.  

For longer games, or on hot or wet days I'm really favouring a Virtus belt and Jayjays yoke. Loads of space for mags, water, BBs & gas, spare kit and snickers.

IMG_1465.thumb.jpeg.246d60ce5b54cb3a762247f6e59794d4.jpeg

Playing 22 years and mainly stuck to these...

Chest rig/Webbing for outdoors, webbing is great for long games but can be a bit much for skirmish days, we don't have to lug as much weight as a real soldier, that's where I would prefer my chest rig.

I generally use a Plate Carrier or "gunfighter belt" and PACA style armour for CQB games, keep it light.

Generally i'd say get a few options and try each one. sell what you don't want.

Viper VX buckle up chest rig with a dangler pouch, with an FRV Tailoring shooters belt. 

3 x 200rd midcaps in rig, underwing pouch for the radio if using it. 

Speedloader and bbs in a bag that stays at the respawn for each game. 

Belt has pistol, spare pistol mag, 140 round midcap for speed reloads, Dynatex impact grenade, dump pouch, knife and a medium utility pouch which usually has a spare battery, revision wipes etc in. IMG_20210224_144607_654.thumb.jpg.55985e94e2e557065b191c8e92db243c.jpg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.