Ruger Mk1 - New Spring?

Old Guy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Can anyone please tell me if they have found a replacement spring for the Ruger mk1? It would be nice to keep it at full power at home but drop the FPS a bit for field play (when that happens again). It seems a much more elegant solution than using different powered gasses for home and away.

If not a spring change can replacing the ball bearing with a hemispherical element lower the FPS enough?

No offers on the spring-thing then?

I have emailed ASG in Nottingham twice regarding this and been totally ignored. B**tards! I tried KJ Works and got a reply:

Good day *********,

Here we sell KJW standard spare parts only in public for replacement service. If you'd like to order our parts, please inform us below details, and we’ll mail you the quotation incl. freight cost.

MK1 exploded drawing http://www.kjworks.com.tw/photo/12918959323.pdf

-    Spare parts number

-    Quantity

For spare parts order, payment must be made in U.S. dollars via PayPal. The parts are usually ready for shipping within 14 business days (weekends or holidays not included) after we received the payment. Once the order is shipped, we'll send you an email with a tracking code. Delivery time is 2-4 weeks via Registered Airmail, not include the time taken for Customs Inspection and Holidays.

*For spare parts order, airmail services to all countries may be subject to delay due to COVID-19. Your kind understanding will be very grateful.

All the best,

Ava Tsao

Team KJWORKS

No.12, LianMing 1st ST., Bade Dist, Taoyuan City 33466, Taiwan

Tel: +886-3-3749793 Ext.15 

E-mail: [email protected]

Web: www.kjworks.com.tw

If those part prices are  in US Dollars this as clear a statement of contempt for the consumer as I have ever seen.  $30 for a spring is fantasy. 

KJW Ruger mk 1.pdf

EDIT: Excuse me while I eat my words (gulp), the price for the Ruger mk1 mainspring is TW$30 (Taiwan Dollar) which is a bit over $1 US. Shipping costs 4 x as much. 

I am inclined to buy a bunch of these and sell them on to Ruger mk1 owners so that they can have a choice in the power the gun puts out. Shortening springs is an easy job with a blowtorch and a grinder.

Edited by Old Guy
Additional info.

I cut mine down on a game day when it chronod at 450 fps or so. It was the first time I'd used it. 10 mins of trial and error and I ended up getting it to 300 fps on green gas with the added bonus of a much lighter trigger pull.

I was going to try making different 'lifters' to replace the ball-bearing and lower the FPS that way but, with the springs being so cheap, I thought I might try cutting different length springs. Are you able to say, @Cromulon1994, if the KJ Works and ASG models share the same spring size? All my researches to date lead me to believe that both models are made in the same factory and just differently branded.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.