Ebay Buyers. Am I Being a Jerk? Airsoft Gear Sale)

Macv276

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Let me preface this by saying I really don't like selling on ebay. I've been burned and messed about so many times it's painful. The classified section on here is much better. But, I digress.... 

Sold my SWAT loadout on ebay for much less than it was worth.... c. £300 of gear went for £100 😐 helmet, comm set, plate carrier, the lot. 

The buyer messaged and said he can't pay until payday (at the time, 4 days away). Now, I've been burned like this before, dollars to donuts the buyer never pays, so nope, sorry, not doing it. Relisted, and stopped him from bidding. 

Well.... Got a string of messages today asking why the hell I'd blocked him, he's got the money today (tis a miracle!) and he needs it as he's an enforcement agent. He's unhappy, ect. He's simply not taking no for an answer. Really throwing Teddy out of the cot. 

Am I being a total dick here? Is my Ebay-fu not strong? Has lockdown made me cynical? 

N.B, checked out his ebay listings... Mysteriously all he sells is ex police gear... 

Did you write in your description that immediate payment (or max of 24hrs) is required?

Admittedly, it's been a while since I sold an auction listing (I tend to use Buy it Now), but I used to be explicit about the consequences of not paying within a reasonable time frame - relist and block.

4 Days is completely unreasonable. Tell him to go forth and multiply.

• Supporters

Fuck him, he's clearly a bullshitter, as has been pointed out, don't bid if you can't pay, maybe he should have pm'd you before bidding stating "I'd like to bid on your auction, but should I be lucky enough to win, I don't get paid until the 23rd, will this be a problem" 

honesty trumps bullshit every time 😏

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Macv276 said:

Bitcoin or cheque? 

Knowing him probably luncheon vouchers or green shield stamps 😜

(Showing my age now lol)

2 hours ago, Macv276 said:

Let me preface this by saying I really don't like selling on ebay. I've been burned and messed about so many times it's painful. The classified section on here is much better. But, I digress.... 

Sold my SWAT loadout on ebay for much less than it was worth.... c. £300 of gear went for £100 😐 helmet, comm set, plate carrier, the lot. 

The buyer messaged and said he can't pay until payday (at the time, 4 days away). Now, I've been burned like this before, dollars to donuts the buyer never pays, so nope, sorry, not doing it. Relisted, and stopped him from bidding. 

Well.... Got a string of messages today asking why the hell I'd blocked him, he's got the money today (tis a miracle!) and he needs it as he's an enforcement agent. He's unhappy, ect. He's simply not taking no for an answer. Really throwing Teddy out of the cot. 

Am I being a total dick here? Is my Ebay-fu not strong? Has lockdown made me cynical? 

N.B, checked out his ebay listings... Mysteriously all he sells is ex police gear... 

Refer him to the eBay advert below

The norm is to allow 2 days to pay, and 2 days for you to send following payment.  But it’s clear that quicker is preferred.

I’ve had people in the past who have contacted about waiting to pay ... then it has been up to me whether I’m willing to wait, and in all cases they have paid when they stated.

I have also had non payers with no contact (and currently have one that’s been pending for a week).  In that case I wait for the 2 days, send a reminder and decide how to go on.

(This outstanding item is the last of a bundle of items, so I’ve already made my profit and am in no particular hurry to cancel the sale for relisting - if I get paid then fine, if not then it can go back online)

Regarding the price, don’t be too concerned that it’s likely that he is probably intending to sell on for profit.  List it yourself with a starting price that you are willing to let it go at. Never assume that an auction listing will get multiple bidders.
If you aren’t in a hurry to sell, and believe your price is fair then stay firm - list what you want for it and keep listing it again until you get what you want.

(I took something between 1 and 2 years to sell a gun, I had a few low ball offers claiming I’m asking for more than it’s worth - but I was just offloading a rarely used high value gun that wasn’t justifiable to keep to lend to others, but if I wouldn’t get a worthwhile price then I’d rage than have kept it.  Eventually I made my asking price)

As there are a few items then consider listing seperately and add a note in the description to “check out my other items” and that you would combine postage on multiples. Bundle deals can put some people off.

When it comes to relisting keep an eye out for eBay offers, such as £1 max fees. (Avoid ‘relisting’ then - use ‘Sell a similar item’ instead - relists revert to standard fees)

It gives a warm feeling inside when see the eBay invoice crediting fees of £60 credited down to £1

45DCE348-928A-4B11-AB4D-7D42B4D2D754.png

If his payment was going to be delayed then he should have contacted you prior to bidding advising as such and requesting your consent prior to placing an offer. It's simple courtesy, if you don't have the money at the time then it is basically a case of tough shit. You don't walk into Tesco, pick up £100 worth of shopping and tell them you'll be back next week to pay.

1 hour ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

If his payment was going to be delayed then he should have contacted you prior to bidding advising as such and requesting your consent prior to placing an offer. It's simple courtesy, if you don't have the money at the time then it is basically a case of tough shit. You don't walk into Tesco, pick up £100 worth of shopping and tell them you'll be back next week to pay.

Haha the exact analogy I used! Good point though! 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.