Seeking Reassurance or Alternatives for Importing From Taiwangun

Lollingsgrad

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've always been pretty paranoid when it comes to airsoft legislation so I've only ever bought in the UK because then I'm not the one taking the risk as the buyer. I've been eyeing up stuff on Taiwangun for years though and there's something on there I can't get here. I've got my UKARA so I know notionally it's fine, but I still hate it's just a defense.

Has anyone ever had issues with customs despite having a UKARA? Also does anyone know of retailers who are happy to take import requests so you can buy from them instead?

39 minutes ago, Lollingsgrad said:

Has anyone ever had issues with customs despite having a UKARA? Also does anyone know of retailers who are happy to take import requests so you can buy from them instead?

Happened to me last year. It's very rare, I only know if it happened 5 times to other people. I have imported 17 rifles from Europe in the past 3 years. 

What happens is that Border Force at Dover will seize anything that looks like a RIF regardless if a UKARA is on the package or not. They do randomised searches of shipments for illegal items and yours was caught up in it. My understanding is that they either dont know what UKARA is, or they dont have the tools to check your number. They automatically send out a letter like the one you recieved. 

BF at Birmingham are the people to appeal to as they are the ones that have had firearm checks training which also includes a section on Airsoft. 

They are the ones that have UKARA access. As long as your UKARA is correct they will tell BF Dover to release it. 

Unfortunately it is a slow process. It took me 2 to 3 months to recieve my Real Sword T97.

UKAPU helped me in this instance with advice, who were a great help, though they didnt get involved with contacting BF.

This is happening more and more as checks are being ramped up.

Here is my story.

To your second question, unless the rifle is not already in the shop or at the distributor, they probably wont import for you.

The price will be much higher then on TG as well. 

I've ordered a few rifs and pistols from them.  Never had a problem getting to me. (Though one pistol was FOA (Fukt On Arrival) and a RIF had partly plastic body even though it was described as all metal)

Asomodai, Perhaps you had that problem because it was made of higher quality steel?  It may have shown up as a possible real rifle in xray rather than the cheap metals of most airsoft guns.

4 hours ago, Asomodai said:

What happens is that Border Force at Dover will seize anything that looks like a RIF regardless if a UKARA is on the package or not. They do randomised searches of shipments for illegal items and yours was caught up in it. My understanding is that they either dont know what UKARA is, or they dont have the tools to check your number. They automatically send out a letter like the one you recieved. 

Yikes; sorry that happened to you, I think I'm going to end up deciding I don't have the stomach for this again. What was on the letter? Were they going to slap you with some sort of VCRA offense?

• Supporters
17 hours ago, Lollingsgrad said:

I've always been pretty paranoid when it comes to airsoft legislation so I've only ever bought in the UK because then I'm not the one taking the risk as the buyer. I've been eyeing up stuff on Taiwangun for years though and there's something on there I can't get here. I've got my UKARA so I know notionally it's fine, but I still hate it's just a defense.

Honestly never had a problem from Taiwangun, Gunfire or anywhere else. The only problem I had customs wise was buying an EoTech on AliExpress when Chinese customs control wouldn't let it out (it was right a the start of the Coronavirus breakout).

16 hours ago, EDcase said:

I've ordered a few rifs and pistols from them.  Never had a problem getting to me. (Though one pistol was FOA (Fukt On Arrival) and a RIF had partly plastic body even though it was described as all metal)

Asomodai, Perhaps you had that problem because it was made of higher quality steel?  It may have shown up as a possible real rifle in xray rather than the cheap metals of most airsoft guns.

X-ray machines don't work like, they don't tell between cheap and expensive metals

• 2 weeks later...

I have been buying from out of the UK for a couple of decades. Since the VCRA so long as my valid ukara number as been marked on the out side of the box has passed through customs fine.

Never had a Problem with Taiwan gun or Gunfire. They always put UKARA clearly on the packaging and never had a delay or border issues.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.