Starter AEG

Caj109

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

I'm kind of new to the whole airsoft game, I did play a game back in 2017 and did enjoy it but unfortunately never had time to go back more to get my ukara.

I'm looking to doing it again once we can as most places near me are shut due to the pandemic.

I've been doing some research as once I can get my own gun etc I'll buy the stuff. I'm looking at the two below. 

If others knows more about these guns or have them and able to share some more light on them that'll be perfect.

G&G Armament CM16 Raider-L 2.0E, Black, Black

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-cm16-raider-l-2-0e?pv=13141

Or

Specna Arms Rock River Arms SA-E03 Edge Carbine, Black

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-rock-river-arms-sa-e03-edge-carbine?pv=9480

Or

Specna Arms Rock River Arms SA-E08 Edge Carbine, Black

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-rock-river-arms-sa-e08-edge-carbine?pv=9447

I am kind of learning towards the specna due to ease of changing the spring etc, I don't mind tinkering. 

Thanks

Edit: Open to other options most probably or higher versions of the above. Don't mind spending a bit more for a better choice

Those are all good choices.

I have the SA-E03 and I'm very happy with it.  The SA-E08 would be exactly the same internally.

The G&G has some fans here too so should be a good choice if you don't mind the polymer body.

They should all perform about the same so just get the one you like the look of most.

None come with battery or charger so look here:

36 minutes ago, EDcase said:

I have the SA-E03 and I'm very happy with it.  The SA-E08 would be exactly the same internally.

The G&G has some fans here too so should be a good choice if you don't mind the polymer body.

They should all perform about the same so just get the one you like the look of most.

Thank you very much for this, very informative! 

When reading up your reply to the other thread, you say that "deans" is a better connector. the E08 comes with deans if i recall, so maybe another advantage.

regarding chargers, reckon best to get the imax off the bat? as was looking at the auto ones that turn off when fully charged. is there lots of differance?

thanks

edit: is the B6 mini any good?

The old Imax chargers are pretty good, but a bit long in the tooth (10-15 year old design) and there are better ones out there now for similar or cheaper prices.

The B6 mini is 12v DC only so you would need a separate power supply - which is extra cost.

Really, an AC/DC charger is a better bet. I would recommend this (great company BTW): https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/skyrc-s65-65w-6a-ac-balance-charger

Buy an XT60 to Deans or XT60 to Mini-Tamiya cable off eBay for a couple of quid and you're golden.

Never, ever, buy an airsoft company-branded charger, they are re-brands of old RC tech with a stupid mark-up (looking at you Nuprol).

As for G&G vs Specna, I made my opinions quite known on the thread EDCase linked to...😜

5 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

The old Imax chargers are pretty good, but a bit long in the tooth (10-15 year old design) and there are better ones out there now for similar or cheaper prices.

The B6 mini is 12v DC only so you would need a separate power supply - which is extra cost.

Really, an AC/DC charger is a better bet. I would recommend this (great company BTW): https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/skyrc-s65-65w-6a-ac-balance-charger

Buy an XT60 to Deans or XT60 to Mini-Tamiya cable off eBay for a couple of quid and you're golden.

Never, ever, buy an airsoft company-branded charger, they are re-brands of old RC tech with a stupid mark-up (looking at you Nuprol).

As for G&G vs Specna, I made my opinions quite known on the thread EDCase linked to...😜

Oh didnt realise the mini was different voltage so not worth it, might as well get main one.

Haha yeah I read your comment dont worry, its a hard choice in a way. I dont mind the included stuff on the E08, unless the fore grip is cheap anyways. hear good things about both, but like you say some tend to have issues.

I'll end up biting the bullet and getting something when im able to get a gun.

Edit: just checked the charger you linked, is that one similar as EDcase mentioned ?

20 minutes ago, Caj109 said:

Edit: just checked the charger you linked, is that one similar as EDcase mentioned ?

Yep. Very slightly better I reckon, the newer chargers are a bit quicker at balancing cells during charging.

Nothing wrong with the B6 EDcase mentioned though, but watch out, there are many counterfeit versions of it that are of dubious quality (especially on eBay).

Yep, a bit more searching for a charger may be necessary.  Definitely avoid buying this kind of thing from eBay.

The SkyRC Imax B6 I linked to has earned a good reputation (which is why it has so many clones) and is in most of the top 10 best chargers list I've seen.  All you have to do is change the plug which is really easy.

As you said you don't mind tinkering, I wouldn't worry about what connector it comes with, you can easily change that yourself. 

On mine the first thing I did was change my battery and rif to xt60's and just brought a xt60 to deans cable to work with my charger. 

On 19/06/2020 at 12:36, EDcase said:

Hello Mate,

Just wondering what battery you running? I'm looking at 7.4v 2600mah Dean one for the E08. Or is it worth getting a 11.1v? Unsure of 11.1v if the gun can handle it dont want write it off straight away.

I'm just collecting information once I can get everything.

9 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Yeah the 7.4v 2600mAh should last a whole day of play.

I would advise NOT to get an 11.1v for a stock gun at this price point.

Perfect cheers! Found that 7.4v one for £20 so not bad I don't think from looking around.

Should II account for 2 as one spare?

• Supporters

SE-08, buy a 7.4v that fits see what the performance is like

B6 - pref not a clone but before I get flamed a clone B6 would still be better than a Nuprol B3 mains charger

I got one of those B3 mains types, made a fucking loud buzz so went in the bin

Got another B3 and was a really fussy bitch getting it to charge

(kept coming with one light being red/fault , until I turned in on/off and eventually worked - finally)

Then there are cheapo B3's req a sep psu,  often an old 12v 1a modem/router psu will suffice

(B3's charge just through balance lead so are slower to charge than the superior B6)

So a B3 is a bit lame but do at a push - however not all B3's do LiFe batteries

LiFe's are a lower cell at 3.3v than 3.7v & if you charge LiFe batteries on the higher LiPo setting it will damage it

So a B6 is simply better all round, a good/genuine B6 is recommended and the use a decent laptop psu option

something between 15v to 18v with a 2.5a~3.0a output with correct plug AND POLARITY !!!

if in doubt buy a B6 psu, but if you know what you are doing you can use other psu's to hand if spec is correct

Test rps on 7.4v then multiply by 1.55 to get an expected rps on similar 11.1v type battery - if it fits

Aim for about 20rps or a smidge under/over but at about 22rps+ std UK guns may double fire/overspin

going nuts at 25+ you mat PME risking stripping stuff without a bit of work etc...

so twenties is plenty

you could stay on 7.4v and change motor at some point to add a bit of zest

(but really see how you go and should get near 15 rps on deans & decent 7.4v 25c I reckon)

Some say LiFe 9.9v is much better than 7.4v as a good stop gap between 7.4v & 11.1v LiPo performance

but me personally I didn't notice it THAT MUCH over a decent 7.4v in a tweaked gun

might be ok if gun is stock, but think LiFe batteries cost more, limited range/options and when called upon in a snappy build the LiFe does not quite offer the raw grunt that a 30c 7.4v can supply

might be OK on stock gun, the 9.9v adds a bit more juice but real raw grunt when needed, then LiFe begins to lack the large amount of zest from a 30c LiPo say

(this is just my opinion as I said, others may disagree, but what I personally found when using a couple of 'em)

that is my take on it all, G&G is nice but sod ETU

SA Orion/Onion boxes have has some lemons but the mosfet is going to be more reliable and easy to change/upgrade

best of luck

5 minutes ago, Caj109 said:

Perfect cheers! Found that 7.4v one for £20 so not bad I don't think from looking around.

Should II account for 2 as one spare?

Make sure it fits,  some crane stocks only have 2 tubes not much over 18 diameter

though usually about 20mm diameter, sometimes 22mm space is available

but watch out for tight fitting crane stocks & fat nunchuck batteries

pay close attention to battery dimensions

when ordering don't go too mad, allow for wires - inc balance lead

and a TINY bit of swelling from long term use

said tiny and I mean a tiny tiny bit of puffing that can occur after a while of use long term

very puffy LiPo's should be replaced safely, well up to you but be careful playing silly sods with LiPo's

I keep posting this, there are loads - but seriously show some respect & safety when using/charging batteries

back to battery, check dimensions, if unsure get a slightly smaller one and buy a pair 

swap over at lunchtime - job done

Yep, good advice on checking battery dimensions carefully.

2600mAh battery should last a whole day skirmishing but its a good idea to have two batteries just in case of unforseen problems.

Not urgent though.

I had a puffy LiPo and also had to hammer a nail into it to make it fail spectacularly.  As long as you have a good charger its very unlikely to explode.

Most of the explosion videos I've seen I would attribute to cheap devices with poor chargers.

22 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Yep, good advice on checking battery dimensions carefully.

2600mAh battery should last a whole day skirmishing but its a good idea to have two batteries just in case of unforseen problems.

Not urgent though.

I had a puffy LiPo and also had to hammer a nail into it to make it fail spectacularly.  As long as you have a good charger its very unlikely to explode.

Most of the explosion videos I've seen I would attribute to cheap devices with poor chargers.

Thanks both I'll check the dimensions and see. I've followed the mentions on patrol base site regarding battery recommendation and mentions crane type which I found.

If 2600mAh battery will last ages might just get the one then. The cost soon adds up haha

Unsure what the depth of the SA-E08 is as dont have it yet will be a while.

I'm looking at the s65 charger at the moment that speedy mentioned.

Battery im looking at:

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-2600mah-25c-continuous-discharge-cranestock-lipo-battery.html

Edit: more accurate dimensions seem the same battery but both state different sizes haha

https://www.vapextech.co.uk/batteries/airsoft-batteries/li-po-packs/7-4v-airsoft-packs/airsoft-7-4v-2600mah-25c-lipo-cranstock-battery-with-case-lp305-vapextech/

1 hour ago, Sitting Duck said:

SE-08, buy a 7.4v that fits see what the performance is like

B6 - pref not a clone but before I get flamed a clone B6 would still be better than a Nuprol B3 mains charger

I got one of those B3 mains types, made a fucking loud buzz so went in the bin

Got another B3 and was a really fussy bitch getting it to charge

(kept coming with one light being red/fault , until I turned in on/off and eventually worked - finally)

Then there are cheapo B3's req a sep psu,  often an old 12v 1a modem/router psu will suffice

(B3's charge just through balance lead so are slower to charge than the superior B6)

So a B3 is a bit lame but do at a push - however not all B3's do LiFe batteries

LiFe's are a lower cell at 3.3v than 3.7v & if you charge LiFe batteries on the higher LiPo setting it will damage it

So a B6 is simply better all round, a good/genuine B6 is recommended and the use a decent laptop psu option

something between 15v to 18v with a 2.5a~3.0a output with correct plug AND POLARITY !!!

if in doubt buy a B6 psu, but if you know what you are doing you can use other psu's to hand if spec is correct

Test rps on 7.4v then multiply by 1.55 to get an expected rps on similar 11.1v type battery - if it fits

Aim for about 20rps or a smidge under/over but at about 22rps+ std UK guns may double fire/overspin

going nuts at 25+ you mat PME risking stripping stuff without a bit of work etc...

so twenties is plenty

you could stay on 7.4v and change motor at some point to add a bit of zest

(but really see how you go and should get near 15 rps on deans & decent 7.4v 25c I reckon)

Some say LiFe 9.9v is much better than 7.4v as a good stop gap between 7.4v & 11.1v LiPo performance

but me personally I didn't notice it THAT MUCH over a decent 7.4v in a tweaked gun

might be ok if gun is stock, but think LiFe batteries cost more, limited range/options and when called upon in a snappy build the LiFe does not quite offer the raw grunt that a 30c 7.4v can supply

might be OK on stock gun, the 9.9v adds a bit more juice but real raw grunt when needed, then LiFe begins to lack the large amount of zest from a 30c LiPo say

(this is just my opinion as I said, others may disagree, but what I personally found when using a couple of 'em)

that is my take on it all, G&G is nice but sod ETU

SA Orion/Onion boxes have has some lemons but the mosfet is going to be more reliable and easy to change/upgrade

best of luck

Make sure it fits,  some crane stocks only have 2 tubes not much over 18 diameter

though usually about 20mm diameter, sometimes 22mm space is available

but watch out for tight fitting crane stocks & fat nunchuck batteries

pay close attention to battery dimensions

when ordering don't go too mad, allow for wires - inc balance lead

and a TINY bit of swelling from long term use

said tiny and I mean a tiny tiny bit of puffing that can occur after a while of use long term

very puffy LiPo's should be replaced safely, well up to you but be careful playing silly sods with LiPo's

I keep posting this, there are loads - but seriously show some respect & safety when using/charging batteries

back to battery, check dimensions, if unsure get a slightly smaller one and buy a pair 

swap over at lunchtime - job done

Much appreciated for the informative post!

I'm looking at this battery currently as I've heard the higher the mah the longer it'll last?

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-2600mah-25c-continuous-discharge-cranestock-lipo-battery.html

https://www.vapextech.co.uk/batteries/airsoft-batteries/li-po-packs/7-4v-airsoft-packs/airsoft-7-4v-2600mah-25c-lipo-cranstock-battery-with-case-lp305-vapextech/

Thanks!

Yes, higher mAh is better but also influences size and cost so it might be better to buy 2 smaller ones. This also reduces the loss if one fails.

For reference, I use a KongPower 7.4v 1300mAh single stick battery (I have two and take a few other batteries as well)

It fits perfectly in the stock of the SA-E03

Size 20 x 12 x 125mm (not including plug & cables)

10 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Provided it fits, yes larger mAh = longer run time.

Around 1800-2000 will usually last most people a whole days gaming.

Please do make sure you have a quality balance charger.

Thanks! No worries I will make sure I get a good enough charger as others did say the risk involved with lipos.

Rather not burn my house down either haha!

One I'm looking at speedy mentioned above -

https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/skyrc-s65-65w-6a-ac-balance-charger

Just now, EDcase said:

Thanks mate I'll save the link and will see if its still there once I get the stuff, arent buying bits until I've got my ukara.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Caj109 said:

Component Shop says:

105 x 22 x 12mm weight 98g

it is the 22mm width that "might" be an issue
(if crane stock tubes are a bit tight)

you normally have say 120mm up to 130mm length, so say up to 125mm
the ye olde nimah's were about 18mm round in diameter, with a wire running down side so was about 19mm diameter

9.6V 1600mAh 2/3A NiMH Mini Cranestock Battery.

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/9-6v-1600mah-2-3a-nimh-mini-cranestock-battery-4-4.html

now the above is a classic 2 x 4 1.2v cell making a 9.6v Nimah type battery designed for crane stocks

and as said 19~20mm should be OK but be careful some cranes won't take much more

(Think some like G&G Combat machine crane stocks are 20mm max with circular tubes

others have a bit more room and some like Cyma cheapo guns have room for 22mm diameter cells

A Wrigleys Extra pack of gum is 22m wide and just fits in Cyma crane tubes, but others it won't)

So be careful ordering batteries that might be tight squeeze in some stocks

Often it is wiser to ensure the dimensions are a little under to allow for minor variations/tiny swelling & leads etc...

Even this might be pushing it as it seems to be 21mm wide:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-2000mah-2s-15-30c-lipo-airsoft-pack-t-connector.html?queryID=e09326cb63ce6a5a2b1e2a3cf08c3d27&objectID=47513&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

2 of these maybe might be a slightly safer option, but 20mm:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-1200mah-2s-15-25c-lipo-airsoft-pack-1.html?queryID=e09326cb63ce6a5a2b1e2a3cf08c3d27&objectID=31042&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

or maybe 2 of these:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-1200mah-2s-25-50c-lipo-airsoft-pack-t-connector.html?queryID=e09326cb63ce6a5a2b1e2a3cf08c3d27&objectID=47516&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

116mm x 17mm x 13mm easily fit in, could shove both in the tubes (1 in each)

so you go out but option to switch over if you feel it getting low

or the option to wire them in parallel to make a 2400 7.4v Lipo

(don't connect in series or you make a 14.8v battery)

Wining diagram for Lipo's in series & Parallel | Model Flying

The battery you were looking at "might" fit OK, but just saying be careful as some crane stocks are bigger/smaller

so the larger size/capacity battery packs could be a squeeze if you make an unwise purchase

you "might" be better of playing safe with 1 or 2 slightly smaller cells, then if you got room you can buy one you know will fit

(once you have the gun and be fairly certain how much room you to play with)

Even with all this knowledge/wisdom I've still fucked up buying some batteries I knew would fit

only to find out later - nahhhh, those dimensions in the specs are not quite 101% accurate

(better to blame specs in description than admit I myself fucked up buying a battery too big coz I thought I knew best)

8 hours ago, Sitting Duck said:

Component Shop says:

105 x 22 x 12mm weight 98g

it is the 22mm width that "might" be an issue
(if crane stock tubes are a bit tight)

you normally have say 120mm up to 130mm length, so say up to 125mm
the ye olde nimah's were about 18mm round in diameter, with a wire running down side so was about 19mm diameter

9.6V 1600mAh 2/3A NiMH Mini Cranestock Battery.

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/9-6v-1600mah-2-3a-nimh-mini-cranestock-battery-4-4.html

now the above is a classic 2 x 4 1.2v cell making a 9.6v Nimah type battery designed for crane stocks

and as said 19~20mm should be OK but be careful some cranes won't take much more

(Think some like G&G Combat machine crane stocks are 20mm max with circular tubes

others have a bit more room and some like Cyma cheapo guns have room for 22mm diameter cells

A Wrigleys Extra pack of gum is 22m wide and just fits in Cyma crane tubes, but others it won't)

So be careful ordering batteries that might be tight squeeze in some stocks

Often it is wiser to ensure the dimensions are a little under to allow for minor variations/tiny swelling & leads etc...

Even this might be pushing it as it seems to be 21mm wide:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-2000mah-2s-15-30c-lipo-airsoft-pack-t-connector.html?queryID=e09326cb63ce6a5a2b1e2a3cf08c3d27&objectID=47513&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

2 of these maybe might be a slightly safer option, but 20mm:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-1200mah-2s-15-25c-lipo-airsoft-pack-1.html?queryID=e09326cb63ce6a5a2b1e2a3cf08c3d27&objectID=31042&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

or maybe 2 of these:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-1200mah-2s-25-50c-lipo-airsoft-pack-t-connector.html?queryID=e09326cb63ce6a5a2b1e2a3cf08c3d27&objectID=47516&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

116mm x 17mm x 13mm easily fit in, could shove both in the tubes (1 in each)

so you go out but option to switch over if you feel it getting low

or the option to wire them in parallel to make a 2400 7.4v Lipo

(don't connect in series or you make a 14.8v battery)

Wining diagram for Lipo's in series & Parallel | Model Flying

The battery you were looking at "might" fit OK, but just saying be careful as some crane stocks are bigger/smaller

so the larger size/capacity battery packs could be a squeeze if you make an unwise purchase

you "might" be better of playing safe with 1 or 2 slightly smaller cells, then if you got room you can buy one you know will fit

(once you have the gun and be fairly certain how much room you to play with)

Even with all this knowledge/wisdom I've still fucked up buying some batteries I knew would fit

only to find out later - nahhhh, those dimensions in the specs are not quite 101% accurate

(better to blame specs in description than admit I myself fucked up buying a battery too big coz I thought I knew best)

That is true regarding most of the time stated dimensions on the websites arent always perfect rounded up or so.

If you check the link to vapex that one has different dimensions but for the same battery and think that's the manufacture too.

I could even order the batteries once I have the gun as could measure the stock.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.