Arrested Because of Air Gun at Home?

Ajax

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all.

Am I missing the point or this guy was arrested because he had Airsoft gun at home?

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/revolver-air-gun-taser-court-4236080.amp

I understand the taser charge but air gun?

They say he had two charges one for taser which is fairly obvious but the second one is for possessing at home "an air weapon using self-contained gas cartridge system".

But isn't this a definition of any GBB and CO2 Airsoft replica? 

WTF?

• Supporters

isn't the gas-cartridge thing something different? ie like the aps shells where each shell contains its own gas supply rather than a seperate gas cartridge in the gun/magazine?

I am not sure that's why I asked here how others understand this short article. They mentioned revolver in it. So difficult to imagine shotgun shells in it 😉

13 minutes ago, Jacket said:

Most likely the Brocock TAC system, they were banned quite a while ago as easily converted to fire live ammo

Agreed, banned under Anti Social Behaviour Act 2003. Shame, as these were fantastic guns. It's now listed as a section 5 firearm in the UK. 

I watched YouTube to see what they were all about and it seems to be lots of hassle to charge and reload? Was it really worth it? I find current CO2 system so much easier to operate. Still with any gas replica every valve is potential failure point and this model had valve and 2 orings in each shell. ,😬

• Supporters

Yeah, prob a Brocock revolver, the issue was never with the pressurised shells (although they could be charged to a very high pressure, great vermin gun), but the fact that it could be drilled out very easily to hold & fire real bullets.

I always fancied one, but never got round to buying one before they were banned. 

You can still get them (or something very similar, just not called Brocock) in Germany

Self contained gas cartridges are legal for airsoft. Functionally pps shotgun shells, aps shells, cassieopia shells function the same as brocock bacs. 

The law differentiates between "weapon" and "airsoft".

Bacs cartridges are great. 

The actual cartridges remain legal, it was the airguns that were banned. 

Allegedly they were able to be easily modified, although that is probably bollocks.

But it made the government feel warm and fuzzy and appeased the daily mail readers.

I would assume if they've already nailed him for the taser then at this point they're just trying to hang whatever else they can on him to make the arrest look good because it's not that important to them what he actually gets charged with in the end

9 hours ago, Cromulon1994 said:

Self contained gas cartridges are legal for airsoft. Functionally pps shotgun shells, aps shells, cassieopia shells function the same as brocock bacs. 

The law differentiates between "weapon" and "airsoft".

Bacs cartridges are great. 

The actual cartridges remain legal, it was the airguns that were banned. 

Allegedly they were able to be easily modified, although that is probably bollocks.

But it made the government feel warm and fuzzy and appeased the daily mail readers.

I remember seeing ads in Gunmart for turned brass cartridges that took a primer. The idea being that it was quicker to reload, but unfortunately this would have made them firearms rather than airguns.

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Cromulon1994 said:

No it's true, the Brocock models were built to a very high standard, & none of the pig metal that we see in Airsoft (& air pistols), they were the weapon of choice amongst the yardie gangs some 25-30 years ago, got to the point that when they were still legal, you couldn't find a retailer with them in stock, Crims were buying them in bulk lol.

16 hours ago, Ajax said:

I watched YouTube to see what they were all about and it seems to be lots of hassle to charge and reload? Was it really worth it? I find current CO2 system so much easier to operate. Still with any gas replica every valve is potential failure point and this model had valve and 2 orings in each shell. ,😬

The Brocock cartridges could look like a bit of hassle to reload & recharge, but that also goes for many things .... including 40mm shells, shotgun type shells etc

Reloading takes place across the country (legally and illegally) of real ammunition, which takes more effort and cones with increasing risk.

Theres an argument that some legislation can be interpreted to affect self contained cartridges as airsoft and paintball 40mm & airsoft shells.  (In paintball we are often relying on the frangibility clause as we shoot balls designed to burst on impact)

Brococks could genuinely be modified to fire real ammunition, and are better made than general airguns etc  which made it more feasible - but still at some risk of exploding in someone’s face, particularly with reloaded shells after multiple uses or with the wrong quantities. 

Brococks could be converted to fire .22LR rounds very easily.   They handled the pressure of  .22LR round no problem and took seconds to convert with a pillar drill.  

.22LR is not usually reloaded.  Being a rimfire there is no replaceable primer.  The priming compound is spun into the edges during manufacture.  

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.